Guests skip reviewing the host to avoid being rated by the host.

Guests skip reviewing the host to avoid being rated by the host.

Hi,

I am new on ABB and I have just hosted a guest who skipped reviewing me so as to avoid publishing my reviews on him.

Do you any suggestions for me to avoid similar situations in the future?

17 Replies 17
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Sue831 🙂

That is not how the review system works. Both the guest and the host got 14 days after check-out to leave a review. If only 1 part leaves a review it is posted after the 14 day review period is over. So your guest cannot avoid receiving a review. 

Also the review system is blind so you won't be able to read each others review before you both have written one or after the 14 day review period is over. 

Best, Sandra 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sue831, it doesn't work like that. Your review will be published on the guests profile after the 14 day review period has ended (unless the guest does review you within the 14 days, then it will post sooner)

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Sue831  Adding my voice to the choir. If you write a review, after 14 days it will publish without regard to your guests' interest in reviewing. It will be published earlier if the guests do decide to write a review, they will both publish sooner.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Sue831 for some reason, this seems to be a popular misconception among hosts. As others have said, your review will be published after 14 days regardless of whether they leave a review. Don't expect all your guests to leave reviews because many don't. People are somewhat review weary. However, it's important for you to review your guests for the security and peace of mind of other hosts. 

@Kath9   AGREED!   It is not about you, it is about the next host.  As far as reviews of guests goes,  Honesty  is truly the best policy! 

Thank you.. yup, I didn’t know the 14 days rule. I double checked and found that my review for the guest is available now.

thank you so much 😊

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Some people just don't write reviews. I had 3 of them already- one (probably) drug dealer, one third party booking and one guest, who booked the apartment for just 5 hours- arrived with a late flight at midnight and went out for early flight at 5am.

@Sue831 You didn't mention why that guest was reluctant to have a review published about him. Was he a particularly bad guest? Did he anticipate that you would give him a bad review? I would think that a guest who was a good one would have no concern about getting a review from his or her host.

Anyway, the other hosts are all correct about the 14-day wait--but you've discovered that yourself now.

@Rich-and-Yan0 , maybe  he thought it is not important. But I was quite sure he was not writing me a review. His attitude throughout the stay was saying he doesn’t stick to the rules or protocols. I found out during his stay that number of guest on my premises was much beyond its capacity- there were like more than 8 or 9 people in the place. When I asked him, he was convinced that two people in the house is no different than 7 people! So, he is a kind of guest who sees no difference in whatever comes from his side. 

Ah, I understand. Yeah, just not a good guest. You could still review him if you wanted to--if it's not too late. Wait until just before the 14-day limit, and then submit your review. He will then have to rush a review through, or let it slide and not bother. And that way, you could warn other hosts about him.

Just a thought...

Dave116
Level 1
New York, NY

what about the opposite situation...  if a guest has submitted a review of the host... the host rather not get a review, and thus does not review the guest.   does the guest's review of the host get posted after 14 days.

Hi Dave, yes it does. I recommend always leaving a review of your guest, otherwise you will not be able to counter-respond to guest's review of your own place

@Louise1073 @It is possible to write a reply to a review even though you didn’t leave a review yourself. I know it was like that way back  - but not any longer. 

Oh good to know, thanks!