Guests smoking

Joy-Elisse0
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

Guests smoking

I have a ring camera installed by the front door of my airbnb rental so I can clearly see when guests bring unregistered people to the property, or worse, smoke. I have very clear rules that smoking is not permitted anywhere on the premises whatsoever, and there will be a $250 fee, yet at least half the people who have visited my property smoke outside, and then just last night I had my first indoor smoker. My question is, am I able to remove someone that I suspect is smoking inside, or harboring additional unregistered guests? I couldn't sleep the night these people were partying in my home, getting drunker by the minute and then I noticed they stopped coming outside to smoke and low and behold it's because they had taken it up indoors. I would love to be able to just call the cops and have people like this removed from my home in the future but not sure if that's allowed. 

6 Replies 6
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Joy-Elisse0  A lot of hosts have this frustration. This is a really helpful thread on getting your smoking deposit from ABB, as its not always easy to collect:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Smoking-deposit-collection-best-practices/m-p/1363183

Meanwhile, I would ask how long these folks are staying. If its only a day or two longer, I would probably suck it up and try to collect the deposit after they left a review. (Three days after, they can't change it then...)  You can certainly alert them to the issue and remind them of the rules, but that will likely result in retaliatory feedback. As a new host with few reviews,  may want to go that route, but no one would blame you if you waited to address after the review was in. 

When it comes time to leave your review, don't mention that you caught them on camera-- the guests will scream "surveillance!" and open a case which will shutter your listing while ABB investigates. Instead say something like:

"So and so were fine guests until we realized that they were smoking on our property which is absolutely not allowed in any form. They also brought unregistered guests to our home. Clean up took extra time to remediate the smell. We cannot recommend them to hosts who have non-smoking homes, and they are not a fit for our space." Low stars in house rules/cleaning/communication and "would not host again" help in keeping them away from your listing in the future. 

Calling the police on smokers is not a possibility. If you choose to mention this now, a gentle approach is likely best. "Hi guest, hope everything is going well. Just wanted to remind you of a few basics. We don't allow smoking and any visitors should be approved prior to your stay for insurance reasons. Let me know if your plans have changed and I will be happy to help you locate a stay which will be a better fit."

But I should say before you do any of that, make sure your rules address what happens to smokers, and to people who bring pets or guests not on the reservation/above capacity. Another tip that many hosts use is an "Easter egg" in your house rules; a phrase that guests should give when booking to show they read them. We got very intense about extra guests in our house rules after so many violations and added the Easter egg. It seems to help a bit. 

Joy-Elisse0
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

Thank you; I suppose it's just the reality of hosting, unfortunately, that these issues will come up. I wish I was able to collect and withhold my own deposit, because clearly it's next to impossible to retain the fee through airbnb. The home contains no fabric curtains or furniture so the remediation was very easy after the guests left since it was only one evening of smoking, maybe one or two cigarettes inside. I ended up letting this guest slide, (because i was afraid of a retaliatory review)  Nonetheless, it absolutely scares the crap out me that I have virtually NO control over the outcome of what they do to my home, and that they are actually permitted to leave me a terrible review after destroying my home is just kind of crazy. Gives the guest all the power. I am sure they wouldn't even mind the $250.00 if we could just actually collect it, but instead it goes through a lengthy and embarrassing resolution center review with photos and descriptions... Nonetheless, I appreciate your feedback! 

@Joy-Elisse0 Hosting with prevention in mind is the only way to go on this platform. Improve your guest vetting process. Attract the best, avoid the worst. Do a quick search, there are many posts on this forum you can read on this, and what red flags to watch for. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Joy-Elisse0 

I wholeheartedly agree with @Laura2592 and @Colleen253 .

We need a provision similar to what most reputable hotels attach to their non-smoking rooms: If there is evidence that a guest smoked inside they will be charged x amount.

No appeals and no excuses. Violators WILL BE violated.

Airbnb could do this. They choose not to.

Michelle2935
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

I just had a guest smoke in my house and I can't get the smell out and the next guest complained... I was going to try to see if air bnb would do anything but this seems very discouraging....  I am new this was my 3rd guest so I'm worried to write a review to warn other hosts because they will likely retaliate.  my cleaner said they have never seen a place left so dirty etc.  is it worth asking for additional money for extra cleaning fees so I can try to remove the smoke smell?

@Michelle2935  In what way do you fear they will retaliate? You need to read up on how reviews work- reviews are blind- the guest can't see the review you leave until the reviews are published and once they are published, the review period is over. Always leave honest reviews. 

Just be careful in regards to stating that a guest smoked or anything else. If you found obvious evidence, rather than just smell, like saucers full of butts, and photograph them, you have proof and it's okay to say they ignored your no smoking rule, causing you hours of cleaning and a complaint of lingering smoke odor from the next guest. 

If they disposed of the evidence, you can just say they ignored house rules and that the place reeked of cigarette smoke.