Guests snuck in a dog (I’m fairly certain)

Guests snuck in a dog (I’m fairly certain)

Hi, I rent an entire house and, per my house rules, pets are not allowed. (Though I do indicate that it is not suitable for guests with allergies as I have a dog myself that sometimes hangs out with me there.) My last guests were a couple who live in a town a little over an hour away with 7 glowing 5 star reviews. Communication was lovely and they left the house reasonably clean. Used a lot of stuff for a two day stay (most of the coffee, most of a large jar of bath salts, both beds, all four towels), but no major complaints and I would normally rate a guest like this five stars in every category. The only thing is, I swept up a LOT of hair and I’m fairly certain it’s from a dog. My house rules indicate “no pets” and while I occasionally make an exception to this, I always want to know ahead of time and I always charge a pet fee.

My question is, do I even bring it up to the guest (who checked out this morning) or is this just one of those “chalk it up to hosting” moments and let it go? And what about a review? When I didn’t actually SEE a dog, and aside from extra time cleaning, there was no damage or any other indication that a pet was there. Part of me struggles with “the principle” and part of be thinks it’s just not worth my energy. Your thoughts? 

1 Reply 1
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jennifer2682 If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't bring it up, since you didn't actually see a dog. Because extra time needed to be allotted to cleaning, you could mention that in the review.