Guests that don't score 5 on principal are messing with my vibe

Rita587
Level 5
Marbella, Spain

Guests that don't score 5 on principal are messing with my vibe

This is proving to be a problem. Fourth guest to do this. Recent guests checked out and scored 4 for cleanliness and for value. We had got pretty friendly and, as Superhosts and property managers, I like to know where we went wrong so we can course correct. So after I read her review, I texted her and apologised that she had found the house's cleanliness below her expectations and asked if there was anything, in particular, she could advise/recommend we do to raise our standards. Her response was that they were feeling lazy when they reviewed and had no idea it meant so much to me;  loved their stay; rarely scored 5 no matter how great the stay/place was, and will definitely return but decided to give a 4 for cleanliness because the drip tray in the oven was scratched... not dirty, scratched. The 4 for value was down to our beachfront location being too rocky. But again, they loved it and want to come back but just don't give 5 stars ever. Meanwhile, my client's property has gone from a 5.0 rating to 4.87, which we all know is near impossible to recover from. I'm wishing for two things right now: (1) Airbnb consider introducing a gentle disclaimer explaining to guests the review system and how critical their reviews are and, (2) a way to block guests from rebooking/messaging. Is that too harsh? Anyone else encountered this issue in the past?

10 Replies 10

@Rita587 

The problem is Airbnb. Guests shouldn't have to stress too much about their reviews even though I, as a host, wish they would!

Airbnb doesn't need to persuade the guest or stress the host, they just need to lower their threshold for superhost & the acceptable overall value to stay on the platform. I don't know why Airbnb won't use the entire range of stars! 

This is an easy solution that will make both the guest and host happy. 

I totally agree, Amanda. You're right, the onus shouldn't be on the guest, and it would be great for the whole thing to be less stressful and such a slippery slope for hosts.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes always a good idea for you as the business owner to explain how the rating system works to help manage expectations  @Rita587 

Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

I had a somewhat similar situation where a guest checked in at 9:30 pm and checked out at 6:30 am. He messaged me a litany of comments from "the check out instructions asked too much" (clean any dishes used, turn thermostat down, lock doors and windows and let me know you have checked out, which Ithink is fairly typical) to the wifi password was too long (copy and paste?).  Then said my home is a great value. Of course check out instructions are on the listing,  so it shouldn't be a surprise.  In my review process, I said I would not host again.   I called airbnb and asked them since I answered that way would that block him from being able to book with me again. They told me no so I asked what is the sense of having the question? And I asked them if they could block him from my listing and being able to book. They said they could and said they did so, but I have no way to tell. I tried to give an honest review without being terrible and said that perhaps he was better suited for a hotel stay. He did give me a 5 start rating but I don't care to host him again, too high maintenance for my listing.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Renee291 

From what I understand, when you click 'would not host again', it just means the guest cannot instant book with you. They can still send you a booking request or enquiry.

To block a guest, you have to click on the little flag next to one of their messages and select the option 'they are being offensive'. I know it sounds unfair to accuse them of this, but it's the only option Airbnb currently gives that enables you to block and this is what I was instructed by an Airbnb rep. Nothing bad happened to the guest (she remains on the platform and was able to book with someone else), she just couldn't contact me anymore.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I have a manual in the room with information on the house, the area, and things to do. I have a page in the manual with information on how ABB looks at guest reviews, that less than 5 stars is considered as a fail. I leave it open to that particular page.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Lola41
Level 3
New York, NY

When the guest arrives I ask is this to your expectation? Before the guest leaves I ask was everything good? If they say yes then I ask to please leave a five-star review across the board. I do mention reviews work both ways now, and since I plan to give all five stars to them I'd appreciate it if they do the same. I can't tell you how many guests leave a 4 somewhere thinking it doesn't affect my listing. So this little talk we have before they leave actually has earned me superhost 3x in a row.  

Mark-And-Anne0
Level 2
Woy Woy, Australia

I send them a message just prior to check out explaining the rating system and the difference between 4 and 5 stars on Airbnb. I think that helps.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hope you have blocked them so they can't return 🙂 @Rita587 

Hercules-R-P-Group0
Level 2
Douglasville, GA

We are literally running a hospitality business and by their leaving ratings that are totally unwarranted they are slowly ruining the very thing that they seek to be a part of. These type of guests don’t even have the foresight to understand how this impacts hosts who have opened up their properties, and their homes to others to have a different experience than motels and hotels. And how in turn it potentially decreases the amount of hosts who even Want to participate on this platform in any meaningful way.