Guests that jerk you around

Niki24
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Guests that jerk you around

I have found that if something goes wrong with a booking, it is usually the host that suffers any consequences - you lose your 'Superhost' status, or you are penalised in some way.  But guests also jerk you around, with no consequence.  I recently had an enquiry, where a student wanted to come and stay for two months.  Because it was such a long booking, I offered all kinds of extras for free.  She then asked if she could book for one week initially, to see if this was a comfortable fit.  As that kind of decision cuts both ways, I said yes.  Time went by, she did not confirm the booking or pay.  The booking was still provisional.  Day before she was supposed to arrive, I asked if she was still coming as I would need to prepare the room for her.  Oh, she had found somewhere else.  Sorry she did not let me know!  Now, I would like to warn other hosts about this person, as this is bad manners. But there is no provision to do so.  While her booking was pending, I could have lost other bookings.   Why can't I report an unreliable person like this?

19 Replies 19
Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Guest booking is the primary source of revenue for both host and Airbnb. Having said that, as host everyone has an option of not providing accommodation if you don't feel like it or for whatever reason. If you do this be prepared to reap the consequences of loss of revenue, listing disappearance, etc.. As guest you also have option of where to spend your money. The consequence to that is you don't get to stay at whoever's home that you choose not to pay your money for accommodation. It's a 2 way system so I don't see why some hosts get so worked up over that. If someone is jerking you around then just let them go and focus your attention on someone else.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

sorry this has happened, @Niki24 . as many others have said, if you don't have a confirmed booking you have nothing. I learned that long ago in retail, it sure was aggravating when people took up my time, finally said, "I'll have to meet my husband, but I'll be back".... you know it never happened...that's just what people do, but try not to take it personally or see it as jerking you around. they have long forgotten about the interaction.

I either pre approve or not, decline any request for discounts and don't allow last minute bookings (with rare exceptions.)  The vast majority of our guests are polite, considerate and happy with what we offer.  If not, they can go away to somewhere else.

Nicholas82
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Moral of the story, never hold any reservation until they have made a booking. You just can't take people on their word in this game. If they were serious about reserving your property, they should make the booking there and then. In future, if that happens you can suggest that they make the booking for the two months and if they are unhappy with the property, you will be able to issue a refund, that way YOU are in control of the situation, not the flakey guest.

Kyi1
Level 6
Ottawa, Canada

We had the same guy cancelled on us twice  . He said he is coming for competition and would like to stay at our place. Then he cancelled on us just before penalty kicked in (we had moderate policy back then). Few months later, he booked again and sent us lengthy apologetic message. Then he cancelled again just like the first time. This time, we called Airbnb and blocked him.