Guests true intentions come out

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Guests true intentions come out

Guest: I am so and so, attending (local) college, coming to do (something that does not sound plausible) with friends and family. 

Request is for 1 night, 10 people, no reviews, local

Me: Sounds like a really fun night! How many people are you expecting including those not staying the night?

Guest: Thanks, we are looking at 15 people. I am booking now!

Me: Ok, as long as it is under 16. Chicago currently has strict rules against Airbnb gatherings of more than 16 people and there is a counter installed. This includes anyone who stops by even for a little bit or help (like if you get a chef or photographer). The fine is something like 10k.

Guest: What does the fine include and what does it determine ? This seems excessive.

Me: You will not have to worry about it if you do not have extra people

Guest: never heard from again

We can no longer host 1 night stays in Chicago at all, this was from a little over a week ago. I have been meaning to post this for a good laugh

26 Replies 26

@Pat271 

Ok. So You are assuming that 10 guests (plus 17 unannounced people) are in an airbnb mansion, having a party and „all party participants put their phone in Airplane Mode“.  Pat, this will never happen, You are paintig the picture of a situation that just doesn't exist.

Most people of the 21st century cannot live without their smartphones being in full swing. Quite a while ago I realised, when I check in guests into my place that sleeps 10, 5 of them are pulling out their phones and while I am talking, they start filming and taking pictures and one second later they notify all their friends that they are checking in right now with me.

Meanwhile I have a „don't touch Your phone when I'm talking rule“. And I have that in writing.

The situation that 27 partypeople turn their phones into airplane mode does not exist and therefore we don't need to discuss if airplane phones can be detected by party squasher.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Pat271  - @Ute42 has spoken..... Just don't argue! - NO! 🤣🤣🤣

@Pat271 yes, theoretically that’s possible. But how do you expect then to enjoy a party without being able to instantly post on Instagram, Snapchat, text of friends not at the party and otherwise avoid face to face contact with people that are physically there? What fun would that be?

Haha. I was just going to say much the same thing. The types who throw these parties are generally also the types who have a cell phone glued to their hand all the time, like a 5th appendage. They would probably choose going without food for 3 days over going without their phone.

My neighbor up the road, a gal in her 30's, had a event one night that she invited me to- they had live music which I went up and listened to for awhile, a guy playing guitar and singing, solo. Lots of people there, all in the late 20's-late 30 year old range. Then I wandered home to have dinner and awhile later I heard some great dance music coming from up there, so went back because I love to dance and it was all happening in a big covered outdoor space- I figured everyone would be dancing.

NO ONE was dancing. They were all standing around watching the DJ and light show and filming it on their phones so they could give their friends who weren't there a blow by blow of what a great time they were having.

@Inna22 

@Sarah977 that is hilarious! If you started dancing you would have been in the way of them recording the DJ. So old fashioned of you to think that was a dancing situation 

My neighbor, who was hosting the event, came wandering out of her house just as I was getting ready to leave again. She had assumed that everyone would want to dance, too, but said she was the only one out there dancing just before I showed up, so she just got bored with the scene and went in to make a cup of tea. @Inna22

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

LOL to the whole conversation!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I absolutely love the way you skillfully got the truth out of her and got her to go away, all the while sounding like a friendly host who was just concerned about the guest not getting busted.

If hosting ever dries up for you, I think you could have a bright future as a private detective or a police interrogator. @Inna22

@Sarah977 I am down to one property so should probably start looking into the private detective licensing requirements. Since it is Chicago, I will most likely need a prostate exam and 43 references. I hope you can give me one 🙂 

Debra48
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Vetting is the most important part of my job as a host. 

Donatella26
Level 10
Mondolfo, Italy

Party squasher??? In Italy we are in the Middle Age! Never heard😱 but I will buy it! Very good idea. p.s.: we are in nearly lock down again...good luck to you, American hosts

Good luck to you too, Donatella. Stay safe.