Guests trying to avoid paying service fees

Linda317
Level 3
Esher, United Kingdom

Guests trying to avoid paying service fees

I have just refused to accept a booking by someone trying to avoid paying the Airbnb service charges.  We really appreciate what Airbnb offers us and feel that the service fees are very reasonable.  However, when I told this guest that this was not the sort of behaviour we approved of she became quite unpleasant.  Do you think I have been over-judgemental?  I just worry that if guests are disputing payment so early on in the transaction what would they be like at a later date? 

73 Replies 73

AirBnB has revolutionized the rental business and has created amazing opportunities for hosts and travelers, but the progress is always on the side of saving costs.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

As the others have said, you did the right thing, @Linda317. There is a way to avoid that resulting unpleasantness, though. Instead of saying you don't approve of their behaviour, which they will take to be judgmental and which will prompt them to lash out, put the blame (so to speak) on yourself or Airbnb. Depending on the request, I tell them either what @Jessica-and-Henry0 do - that I don't book outside of Airbnb - or, in some cases, that it just isn't allowed. Sometimes, when it is an insistent friend of a friend pulling out all the stops, I say it is a calendar thing - that I cannot juggle two calendars. (I really can't. Hopeless at it.)

You may get some begging, but it has less chance of turning ugly when you are not calling out their bad behaviour but making it all about your own professional behaviour.

Sally4
Level 6
Snoqualmie Pass, WA

I have found that the less they pay, the less they value your home.

Once you open the door to making allowances they start taking what they can, and even what they shouldn't.

I'm not sure if other people can do this, but in  our state Air BnB collects the taxes. So I use that as my excuse. I say, I'm sorry but Air BnB collect my taxes and that is the only way I can keep my books straight.

I turned down a similar request from new users. Wanted to save money for a 17 day stay. I NEVER accept those requests. It’s a warning sign. They were new users with no photo. People who want to do that aren’t going to be good guests and on top of it you’ll lose your protection. 

You our did the right thing by saying no.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Linda317

I totally agree with @Mike340@Jessica-and-Henry0 & @Lawrene0 and others.

—————————-

“Dear guest ####

Thank you for viewing my Airbnb homestay space, but as a listed host with Airbnb, all monetary transactions and matters are handled by Airbnb - without exception. Therefore,  I only accept guests through the Airbnb Rental Platform, who meet all requirements. So realistically, I cannot accept your personal request to rent through a bank transfer or cash. This contravenes policy.

I wish you well in finding alternate accommodation.

regards

#####”

————————-—

Hope this helps. 

Remember:

(Rule breakers will continually break other rules...even your house rules..)

🙂

Cathie

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Exactly!!

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

I am not sure how a guest would try to avoid paying AirBnB service fees.  Do they not want to make a reservation and then pay you when they arrive?  I believe in the "it never hurts to ask " thing but why would a host even consider that. I think politely telling her that I couldn't do that would be all I would do though, anything more would just be more time wasted on a situation I have wasted to much time on already.

I does seem there are a lot of hosts who has or is willing to decline a reservation because they think that a person will be trouble.  How are you able to do that? I have only declined a few people who wanted to bring young children when my listing clearly states no children. And I get emails from AirBnB saying my accepted reservations rating has fallen below the target.  You have to list a reason when you decline them, and since declining them because they don't meet the requirements goes against your rating I doubt they would consider "I thought they would be trouble" a valid reason.

FWIW due to the high level of taxation in Chicago (about 25%) I do get guests who are trying to avoid that.  It's still not a great idea-- for instance,  I let a physics grad student who had no place to stay,  and who couldn't get his credit card to work at 9pm,  stay ...

... it was nothing but trouble that exceeded the value paid,  and without the review system,  there was no way to signal the things he had done wrong to him,  nor to warn others.  The latter likely being one thing he wanted to acheive.  

I have certainly asked before but it's been when I've stayed long-term. Only one person had ever agreed. The other person refused but I still stayed. It just would have been easier since I was a bit skint. I'm a chill personality and have never been a bad guest. I'm probably an exception, but we're out there. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Linda0 Block her and move on.

Agree. Decline. Flag. Block.

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

I don't turn down any request..

when it happen i just tell them ..

is possible..  just if this was the case no dates will be blocked and no third party guaranteed security will be provided.. if another guest come in or a miss communication occur you will be very vanurable of getting rejected on site because i only have one house.. in an event such as double booking happens you will be at a very vanurable poosition.. 

you can pay on site before check in and there are deposite for (double the amount in Airbnb) .. 

and if any thing happen let the police take care of it..

i thinksome times people do this because they also don't understand that airbnb some times act as a travel insurance for people travelling abroad.. 

some how airbnb at least has an idea how their host are working like..right??

thank you

Jeffrey Bong
Cryil0
Level 2
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

test

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Kathy and Sally are right on. Cheap people breaking the rules. I'm priced just above local competition, for a reason. I'm oftern tempted to lower my prices just to fill in gaps on the calendar. This is always a fail.    Just last night, literally cheapest I've ever rented for, can we come early? Can we come late? I'm generally flexible, but I offer it to them as an extra... Biggest mess I've had this year. Took every "extra" i offer left nothing. Perfect reason to stick to your guns. Stay with the platform. Don't break your own rules. Blah. People sometimes. @Sally4

@

Suyen0
Level 2
Makati, Philippines

I've also declined on guests especially when they ask to pay outside of Airbnb. It's already a foreshadowing of the likelihood they will not follow the rest of the rules. You were right to not accept that guest.