Guests trying to avoid paying service fees

Linda317
Level 3
Esher, United Kingdom

Guests trying to avoid paying service fees

I have just refused to accept a booking by someone trying to avoid paying the Airbnb service charges.  We really appreciate what Airbnb offers us and feel that the service fees are very reasonable.  However, when I told this guest that this was not the sort of behaviour we approved of she became quite unpleasant.  Do you think I have been over-judgemental?  I just worry that if guests are disputing payment so early on in the transaction what would they be like at a later date? 

73 Replies 73
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I personally think this is the right choice: I turned down a similar request last week. It was a new user, asking to pay outside of the system. I explained that it was against Airbnb rules, and that we could actually be de-listed for agreeing to book off site. I agree that this type of request tends to spell trouble: people who are demanding and trying to skirt rules early on are just going to get worse.

I actually think the service fees are ridiculous. If AirBnB hadn’t gone public they wouldn’t need to institute these, I’m guessing. It’s about juicing the stock price after COVID depressed bookings. 

How is Airbnb going to even know? When a room is listed at $986 and suddenly jumps to over $1300, that's a problem! Airbnb was supposed to be a less expensive way for travelers to book a place without breaking the bank! It's insane. $20-$30, fine. Over a hundred dollars? For what!? Certainly, not for great customer service! If someone is asking for a break, you have to assume they probably really need it, and I'm speaking from personal experience. 

My man you are a reasonable human being unlike these money sucking vampire hosts.

Agree

Alain311
Level 3
Montreal, Canada

You did right, some people just want to best place at the cheapest place possible , those one would make your life hell during their stay. Also how were they planning to pay? cash or by direct bank transfer to you? that would mean using airbnb platform without paying for it, you wouln't be protected by airbnb in case anything happens. Have no remorse to have decline that guest, you could also report him to airbnb.

in case this happens, maybe instead of saying you dont approuve the behavour, maybe just say it's not possible as it is against airbnb policy, if the guest accept to pay  (because he just tried) its all good, if he insits, decline and report.

I wonder why the guests have to pay the fee,

do hosts pay one too? Or just make money of their extra bedrooms? 

As someone who has requested this before, I can assure you that I am the best guest anyone could ever want. Clean, quiet, I mind my own business and have NEVER had any complaints. So while your assumptions are likely largely true, we aren't all just trying to con. Some of us are asking because we just don't have the budget, but we also don't want to stay in a place unsuitable to our chill personalities

agree

I've also refused guests because they claimed the fees made the total exceed what they could afford and they really wanted to stay with me, so they were hoping I would be open to "other options". I immediately replied with a firm "not interested in bookings outside of ABB" apparently we are not a good match so good luck finding somewhere else to stay! and then reported/flagged the guest immediately. 

Would you be willing to pay an additional $250 as a 'service' fee? Okay then, stay quiet.

THIS PART

"....when I told this guest that this was not the sort of behaviour we approved of she became quite unpleasant" 

Well, that says it all....typical type of guest who expects everything they way they want it...and turns unpleasant when they cant have what they want...somewhat childish ...best avoid that kind of guest 

You did the right thing..it is nothing to so with being judgemental ......

The person used the Airbnb system to acquire information about your property and background information (reviews) about your suitability and regarded that information as a "freebie" ...

Brendan125
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

its a big ASK, but I can understand poor lodgers asking to be spared of hefty fees and taxes... I booked a guy here ... and its about £60 a month for fees (£300 rent + £60 in fees) Its just too much!!  Lets not get all judgemental... unless we are in those shoes. Increasingly landlords use airbnb rather than renting out a room- so inevitably most of the bookings are going to be wandering tenants in search of security. And finally do not assume "poorer" tenants/ customers don't look after the place. I've had dozens who fill that description and they are FANTASTIC, exemplary and tidy......