Guests trying to avoid paying service fees

Linda317
Level 3
Esher, United Kingdom

Guests trying to avoid paying service fees

I have just refused to accept a booking by someone trying to avoid paying the Airbnb service charges.  We really appreciate what Airbnb offers us and feel that the service fees are very reasonable.  However, when I told this guest that this was not the sort of behaviour we approved of she became quite unpleasant.  Do you think I have been over-judgemental?  I just worry that if guests are disputing payment so early on in the transaction what would they be like at a later date? 

73 Replies 73
Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

The solution, from a host perspective, is simple: decline. But now Airbnb is making an issue of Acceptance rates. This is so unfair!  Work for your hosts, Airbnb!

just accept it with out blocking the dates.. the have to pay to block it.. don't have to decline.. who ever booked it first they get it.. no harms done.. no fauls done

Jeffrey Bong

Not sure what you mean. The host does not want to accept this request. 

Marie223
Level 2
Rozelle, Australia

I’m with you !  Except I must say I’m being asked more for  discounts then ever . 

Cryil0
Level 2
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

test 2

Mark211
Level 3
San Marcos, TX

Here’s the thing:  the phrasing used by Airbnb regarding the service fee is very confusing.  I suspect that’s purposely so.

Most people assume you’re the one charging the fee “to support your platform.” Airbnb needs to step up and specify that hosts don’t impose the service fee and don’t get a penny of it.

Denise547
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi I have had a long term let from May to August and myself and the guest now seems to think she doesn't have to pay the Service Fee. At the time of booking I tried to make a Special Offer for her to reduce the standard charge, but was unable to do it for some reason and then the Guest just booked for the agreed period and therefore had to pay whatever the cost was for that period. 

However, we actuall agreed a lower figure for the period - so less than she has actually paid to date, and I was happy to refund the difference (between what she paid and what I received, which was an amount I was happy with for that period). But she is now saying she shouldn't have to pay the Service Fee. I now feel I will be out of pocket and not get the amount I agreed to, and perhaps have made a rod for my own back! Any suggestions here? Surely the Guest pays the Service Fee. She did, after all, hastily book before I could make the Special Offer at a reduced rate. I can't be expected to 'foot' the Service Fee.....

@Denise547

Remind the guest that the service fee is between she and Airbnb.

You have nothing to do with it.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I'm in the same mess.

Tried to send a special offer... agreed to refund instead... so now I will be paying the airbnb fee for them!! Plus she's a 3rd party booking and she wants her daughter's boyfriend to be able to stay . I can't work out how to proceed. Am thinking I will ask for boyfriend to provide ID . Inviting him to join airbnb too but I won't be able to book him in place of the girlfriend's mother... as I'll be penalised for a cancellation?

@Mary996  Hopefully you have not refund them anything to date. This is not going to go well for you. Get it cancelled. It's a third party booking call AirBnB and have them cancel it penalty free it's against the AirBnB Policy. If the boyfriend wants to rent he can sign up for his own account to rent it. Do not give discounts you get a bad guest usually when you discount. They also become more demanding after booking avoid them. Call AirBnB: United Kingdom +44 203 318 1111

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Letti0

Many thanks for commenting. I'm not sure if it was you elsewhere but others have offered the same caution and have spoken of their experiences as well which really helped me to get perspective.  As a result of all the input on how to handle this including from you @Paul154 in Seattle, I was able to address the issue very assertively. I explained that I don't accept payment in person - for insurance reasons, and I encouraged the mother to ask her daughter to create her own profile and that if it was a picture of the couple together then accommodating the boyfriend on occasional nights would not be a problem but that I needed to know the names of everyone staying in my house even if only for one night. I also added that I had read that other Hosts decline to reduce their rates...!! Her attitude completely turned around. She became helpful and compliant. The daughter presented her own profile (which included a picture of her boyfriend) and whilst I did offer a reduction she reciprocated by block booking. In the end it was a very positive experience and we exchanged great reviews as well which was lovely. Soooo I am extremely grateful to you all for your advice. All the feedback led to a positive outcome due also to the good communication that is made possible by the airbnb messaging system. Thanks again.

Peter1252
Level 2
United Kingdom

I rented for many years and I treated my clients with respect. If the service fee was honest which it isn't because by leaving it on the price just as service fee the Airbnb site are kidding clients that the fee is being charged by the owner not them. If they were to be transparent about it why don't you owners tell them to put it as Airbnb service charge ?  They won't because they aren't transparent . I never charged my clients a service fee and 3to 4 months every year were returning clients because we treated our clients with good service and respect not as a money tree. I won't use Airbnb till they remove the clients service fee it's appaling. I feel sorry for you owners it's costing you a great deal of good business.

Sol11
Level 2
Marbella, ES

It has happened to me some few times as well and the guests apparently don't understand why you decline. The last one trying to omit the Airbnb fee was an Airbnb host herself. .When I declined she told me that she did it all the time with her own bookings and "how would Airbnb find out".  Maybe I shoul have flagged her down ????? Problem is that she tried to make the booking in her boyfriends (?) name

What a load the service fee should lie with the property owner being asked for another £60 on top of cleaning fee + hot tub charges ect... when you're an average family with 2 children certainly racks up quick and becomes over expensive!!! No reflection of character trying to hold back a little money yes you don't have to accept but dont be so judgemental!!!!!!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I'm not sure what you're doing on this site @Steven-66 .....  You seem to have only just joined Airbnb; it does not look as tho' you are serious about travelling as you have not filled in your profile fully, no biography, no verifications, & no profile photo! You don't even say where you live, not even the country! So did you just join to troll???

This forum is primarily for HOSTS to support each other..... If you don't like what you see re Airbnb, it's no good moaning at US! We don't make the rules re service fees, that comes from Airbnb, the company, who make their millions from charging commission! - Personally, I wish Airbnb would charge 50% less, or less still as commission/service fee, that way prices to the guest would be lower, & we could all do more business! I'm sure most hosts feel the same.