Guests using our kayaks & other water toys, building a fire in our firepit and grilling

Guests using our kayaks & other water toys, building a fire in our firepit and grilling

This is our first summer as Airbnb hosts.  We live on a lake.  The property includes the main house and a lovely guest house--which is what we Airbnb.  Naturally, living on a lake means we have a few "toys"--kayaks, peddle boat, etc.  Our first "summer" guests asked if they could use our kayaks.  We let them, as they said they knew how to kayak (and they did!)  However, I'm wondering if we should have guests sign a waiver if they use any water toys.  I checked with our insurance agent, and we're totally covered for whatever may happen.  However, she did recommend we have them sign something.  Does anyone have any experience with this and/or forms they could share?  Also, we have a firepit.  We actually built a fire and sat around with the guests mentioned above.  However, I don't feel comfortable with letting everyone build fires--especially if we're not around.  Any suggestions?  Finally, even during the cold weather, many guests asked to use our gas grill.  The grill is under the deck of the main house.  So, guests need to walk down to use it.  Do any of you allow guests to grill?  Any suggestions or ideas about how to handle all these things?  My main concern is keeping things safe, so no one gets hurt!  Thanks so much!

15 Replies 15
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I hate to say it, but the less you provide the less will get damaged, destroyed, stolen, lost etc.

I would never allow them fire or grills. Who knows what they will burn or leave burning. The grill will become disgusting and then you will be criticized for not cleaning it etc etc.

I would keep the offering simple. If somewhere local rents Kayaks (we have a couple of places that do), just send them over.

Thanks, Pete! My husband and I were both around the firepit with our first guests. I think I'll only allow it if my husband is there. And, he works out of town much of the time. Also, I don't cut firewood; so, when it's gone...it's gone!

I believe in keeping it simple as well!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Debbie241 we provide watercraft and have all guests e-sign a waiver before providing access.  We also have firepits for guests to use. Re. the grill, my suggestion would be to buy a second one for your guest house. We have never had any of the problems mentioned by @Pete28, knock on wood.

https://app.hellosign.com/s/5353c2aa

https://formswift.com/sem/static-state/release-of-liability

Thank you SO MUCH, Lisa!

I certainly didn't expect to get an actual template of a waiver!  And, what a great idea to have it as an e-document.  Brilliant!  I can't thank you enough.  I took a peek at your places.  WOW!  They're all so gorgeous and unique.  How in the world do you keep up with three places?  Our guest house is on the same property as our house, and it's hard enough for me to keep up with just that one!  I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Greshem, OR, forever.  My family visited them every other year since I was a little girl.  I love OR.  Now, I certainly know where to stay if I ever get back there:)

Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly, and for your "sage" advise!  I really appreciate it.

Debbie

Hi, @Debbie241 I looked at your place too and it's really lovely, especially the "wall of windows." We have eagles too but never one that hung out with us. I could never keep up with all three places on my own. We have a fantastic local co-host who manages our lake homes (including keeping track of the waivers). We'd love to host you when you are out this way!

@Debbie241 PS we also provide PFDs in a variety of kid/adult sizes, so nobody has any excuse for not wearing one.

Thank you for your kind words!  Yes, "Ralph," as I named the eaglette, & his mom were with us for almost four days.  Last June, it seems he glided out of the nest at the end of the penninsula we live on before he realized he couldn't fly!   He walked down the road & stopped off at our place.  He spent over 2 days on our deck railing--no idea how he got up there!  The first night at 1:30 am, I got up to make sure he was o.k.  Mom sat at the top of the highest tree in our yard, watching him.  I kept yelling at her to come take care of her baby!  I was within 3-4 feet of "Ralph" most of the time.  I spoke to him like I talked to my dogs.  He would **bleep** his head to one side--just like they did, & acted like he was actually listening!  We had a DNR guy come over; because he was making such a racket as he was hungry & thirsty.  And, he would only lift one wing; so, we thought his other wing was injured.  The DNR guy said he was fine, & to check our lawn, as it was covered with large fish heads.  Mom had been feeding him!   Still don't know how he got on & off the deck rail to get the fish!  Should have had a trail cam!  The DNR guy had never seen an eaglette up on a high deck railing before!  On the last day, after our photo shoot on the peddle boat, Ralph left.  He spread out both wings with a pretty impressive span!  I didn't see him go, unfortunately.  Then in February I had an extremely pregnant, huge raccoon on our deck for two nights.  She even slept there all day in the sun!  That was awful, as I was watching my daughter's small terrier, who was going crazy barking!  Finally had pest control come live trap her & take her away to a state park (they said.)  I have tons of pics of her; but, chose not to put any on my site!  Don't know what attracts such wildlife to our deck!  Never a dull moment...

After I sent my reply, I saw that you had someone helping to host.  So, how does that work?  What does a co-host do, and how much are they paid?  I had a cleaning lady come over last year before I started renting, to see what she'd charge me.  I included her $65 fee in my listing; but, haven't needed her yet.  However, I have at least four back-to-back bookings, with groups of five guests coming up.  I may need  help!

Thanks again!  FYI, we have tons of life preservers!  I would insist that guests wear them...

@Debbie241 What the co-host is paid is completely between the host and co-host; you can make any arrangement you both agree to.  Airbnb will allow you to designate that your cleaning fee goes to the co-host and any percentage of the rent, and then will pay your co-host directly. You can also designate your co-host to be the guests' primary point of contact, or not. The only thing they can't do, as far as I can tell, is use the resolution center to send or request money. That's a nuisance because that's the only way we have to collect our pet fee. So I still have to pay her her percentage of the pet fee myself. Other than that it's extremely convenient. We do have a contract outside of Airbnb, stipulating what each of us will take care of, and what happens if one of us wants to terminate, etc.. I also asked her to carry her own liability insurance, which she does. Of course it would be very different for you, being on site. We're 3.5 hours away so she has to take care of all the hands-on stuff.

Give it time and they will find you...

I have enough guests who struggle to wash up, not leave towels everywhere, and lock the door when they leave. Given access to water craft and fire I can only imagine...

@Pete28 well, I can't predict the future of course, but guests come to our vacation rentals as a destination and these amenities are a major component of the attraction. Guests love them. We can charge higher rates with them and people want to return year after year so maybe that changes the equation somewhat. So far, no problems... fingers crossed and insurance in place!

We have three vacation rentals and provide a fire pit, dock, grill, kayaks and row boat at each location. Most guests are marvelous a few are a terror.  

My my pet peeve is the grill.  It takes a long time to clean.  You can use up a lot of your propane burning off the residue.  The last guest left one grill dripping with fat and meat on every surface inside the grill. Slimy and stinky. So much wet stuff the sparkler wouldn’t work.

i have decided to leave a note on the inside of each grill saying they are expected to clean the grill after using it or an additional $10.00 cleaning fee would be added to their visit. I will also remind them to turn off the valve on the propane tank. I have found guests where they have left a burner on low to keep the food warm and have forgotten and left it on over night.

Our rent is very high and I struggle to add a grill fee, but I’m thinking the note inside the grill might make them more aware of the mess they leave.  

Hi @Lisa723 ,

I'm late to the party, but wondering if you would be willing to share your template with me? I clicked the top link, but it's unavailable. We are new to Airbnb and have a cabin on a river, and are offering kayaks for use. The bottom link appears to be a wonderful resource for free releases of liability by state. How did you create the e-sign waiver? 

Thank you so much, in advance of any additional details you can provide. I appreciate this community of sharing.

Samantha

@Samantha885 our current insurer doesn't require the waiver so we haven't been doing it for a few years. I'm sorry the link is defunct but you can probably find another resource for esigning.

Thank you so much for your reply @Lisa723