Guests want partial refund because of temperature

Guests want partial refund because of temperature

Hi everyone,

We had a group of guests who stayed for a few days at our airbnb in CapeCod. It is July and very warm outside. Our house has central AC to accommodate for this to make our guests comfortable.

Our guests complained that the house was too cold, so we told them to adjust the temperature however they wanted so that they were comfortable. We also left a ton of comforters and blankets in case guests did get cold. 

They then adjusted the thermostat to 90 degrees. YES, 90 degrees in July. 

Now, they are requesting a partial refund because they said the house was never comfortable and they were cold.

I would be more worried if it was winter and they were complaining about the cold, or if there was no AC and the house was super warm... but everyone appreciates the AC when its 85+ degrees out. 

We did everything in our power to ensure they were comfortable, but it still wasn't enough. Are the guests being unreasonable?

Thank you to anyone who responds!!!

15 Replies 15
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Maria12696 Wow, that's a new one for me... could they not just turn off the AC and open a window?

After they complained initially about the temperature, did they ever mention it again? You say the temp was set to 90 (!): did it ever reach that temperature? It sounds to me like they're being unreasonable. 90 degrees indoors in summer is not generally appreciated by guests. It doesn't sound to me like you did anything wrong.

Have they been specific about what kind of refund they're expecting? Have they mentioned the review at all?

@Alexandra316  thanks so much for your response!

We told them to open any window they wanted (and they did) and we also told them to adjust the temp and turn off the AC (which they did!!) and it STILL wasn't good enough for them.

They only complained one time and never discussed it again until after they left, wanting a refund. They didn't specify an amount, and haven't given us a review yet... I'm not sure how to politely say they were being unreasonable and a partial refund is most likely not possible since we already did everything we could to accommodate them! 

This is such a weird experience for us, and we definitely don't want a bad review since we helped out as much as we could! 

@Maria12696 they are definitely being ridiculous, in my opinion. It sounds like you did everything you could reasonably be expected to do to make them comfortable. I would not be offering a refund. Were they expecting you to provide a heater so they could achieve a 90 degree indoor temperature?

If they do mention giving you a poor review due to lack of refund, make sure you ask Airbnb to remove their review if it's negative.

@Alexandra316 

I had no idea you could get a negative review removed, thank you! I'm still hoping they won't give a bad review after this is all resolved. 

@Maria12696 Absolutely you can, if it violates Airbnb guidelines. Extorting the host - threatening them with a bad review if you don't offer a refund - is definitely against the rules. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and they either review you fairly or don't leave a review at all.

If they do review you poorly and you can't get it removed, you also have the option to respond to the review, and I would be sure to do that to tell your side of the story.

Yes you can, been there, done that, 3 weeks ago for the very first time  @Maria12696 .  I would start your message trail to the Help line today explaining what happened as detailed as possible and let them know a guest seems to be extorting you about a contrived issue they didn't mention more than once and you told them how to adjust the temp to their liking, provided extra blankets  and even open windows if they like.  It won't likely be quick but you may be able to kill it from going public before its even published yet you will still be able to publish your own accurate and fair review of them.  Get out ahead of this thing or it will become an issue later.  Stay well, JR

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Maria12696 yes, these guests are unreasonable, unless your AC was malfunctioning and stuck on.

@Lisa723 Thank you for your response!

I agree! Our AC was working perfectly, and they even shut it off as well. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Maria12696  Your guests are jerks.  I would not refund them, because jerks of that degree are almost surely going to write a review of how like Goldilocks, they could never get the porridge at the right temperature. I would not give them a dime in refund.  And I mean, exactly how cold can you be on Cape Cod in July? 

@Mark116 Agreed!! Thank you for your response.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Maria12696  These guests are scammers. Finding something bogus to complain about so they can demand a refund. Stand your ground.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Maria12696 I hope all works out well for you. It is possible to see reviews guests have left for previous hosts if you use Google Chrome with an Aireview add on that you can download (if you can work out how). It might help to see what this guest has said to others in the past.

If they do leave a poor review it is essential that you are very careful with your response - This is what people looking to book your place will use to make their decisions.

It will only be possible to have the review deleted if it breaks the rules - many don't.

I suggest you wait for 13 days post checkout to leave your review so that it delays a bad review (if that is what is coming). Be honest with your review - Be positive where there are positives BUT make sure you mention the aircon saga and demand for a refund so that it is available to counter anything they say. 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Maria12696 

Probably if you had to go through this again..I'd be inclined to send the guests a trip amendment to end the booking the very next day.

It sounds a bogus vague complaint designed to pressurize you into refunding. Why not simply put a sweater on if you are 'cold'.

I'd have sent the amendment and a note, ''sorry you are not enjoying your trip, I hope you can find a place eminently more suitable for you, I'll see you off at 10 am tomorrow.''

That's designed to make the guests to either put up and shut up or genuinely go.

If they genuinely want to go, it's at their inconvenience.

No one wants this post and during visit drama the guests have heaped upon you.

Please treat the matter as a manner of streetwise education.

@Maria12696 You can request a guest to leave and end a booking?