Guests want to leave their bags for two months and rebook a later stay

Chuan16
Level 2
Christchurch, NZ

Guests want to leave their bags for two months and rebook a later stay

Hi all!,

As the title says. I do have the space and I'm not actually concerned about my safety and all that but is this a normal request?

I must admit i'm not super confortable with this request. I do have the space but I'd just prefer not to. Is there a charge I should attach to this?

Thanks 🙂

20 Replies 20
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I've never heard of it. For me it would be a judgement call. If I didn't like the guests I'd say no, but if they were cool cats I've have no problem throwing a couple of bags into my laundry room and forgetting about them. It's up to you, do it, do it with fee, or don't. Won't affect you. 

They've requested in advance so I haven't met them yet 🙂

They are also new and have 0 reviews so I'm a little torn.

Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Chuan16,

Are they otherwise polite and courteous in their communication, and have given good reason as to why they would like you to store their luggage? I wouldn't mind storing things, if the people seem nice enough and my gut feeling is ok with it. But maybe look at how you can make sure they won't be making any claims as to missing  items while you store things? Or the safety etc? I mean - things can happen - anything from flooding and fire to mice and mould! 😄 

I've only recieved the one message from them so I've no idea what they're like. Their reasoning is that they're actually going on a long tramp (The 3000km long Te Araroa trail) and other activities out of the city and will come back after 2 months to get their luggage and stay again. 

I think that's a fair reason and There is a storage locker in the parking garage next to my car I can just put their bag into.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Chuan16  honestly I would not take such a risk, especially if the guests never stayed with you, search nearby ur location if there is left luggage (with long term option)  and send them the link.

I will never take such a responsibility for guest, only time I did I have a regular business traveller who books 14 days at time and go back home for the weekend and I store it in my own storage room and put it back myself the day of his arrival but I had hosted him for 3 months on and off and always left the place spotless and many reviews

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Chuan16 

In your situation I would direct them to a local left luggage facility in your area.

What would happen if you stored their luggage and they reported items as being missing?

I would do this for a guest that I have hosted and feel comfortable with. Not for someone who hadn't stayed with me and had no previous reviews.

You should charge a left luggage fees for guests who want this amenity (you could disclose left luggage fees in your listing).

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Chuan16 , I had the same type of request last year:) For sure big NO!  You are not a professional storage, so why should you take such responsibility? It is specialized payed service.

And on top of such strange request they are new? I suggest to think twice before accepting their reservation. Huge amount of luggage and people that are not familiar with the system can be source of problems. 

Chuan16
Level 2
Christchurch, NZ

Thanks for all the replies! I might not reply to all of them but I am definitely reading all of them!

@Chuan16 I can understand your guests' reasoning here, but I don't think this is a good idea for either you or the guests.

If during the 2 months of storage there was something such as a natural disaster, a burglary, a flood, or an issue with mold or pests that caused their property to become damaged or go missing, you don't want to be left with the liability for it (as surely you'd have enough on your plate in those circumstances already). Also, you don't know how your experience with the guests will go, and no way to be sure you'll find them trustworthy.

Luckily, you're in New Zealand, where there's no shortage of businesses catering to backpackers just like your guests. Major hostels offer multi-day backpack storage options (though not all of them are secure), and long-term storage facilities tend to offer monthly rates on secure lockers around 1 cubic meter - which shouldn't be a drain on the budget for people who can afford to fly to NZ. These businesses are heavily insured, and much more prepared to compensate the guests if anything happens to their stuff. As a host, you're much better off just sticking to the services that are offered in your listing and referring your guests elsewhere for any additional needs.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Chuan16 

I agree with all opinions from my fellow hosts and will have to decide for yourself 🙂

But, just to give you an example - my old friend came to Zagreb for some medical operation. Unfortunately, I couldn't host her because I already had bookings so I recommended my other friend, also a host and she stayed there for a month. Now she left back to USA but left her suitcase because she will have to return again after 5 months. Her host agreed to store her suitcase until then. (I offered to store it at my place but they already made the arrangement)

Of course this is different, my friend was recommended by me to my other friend, and she was a perfect guest.

If I were you, I would wait until the end of their stay, and if they are good guests and I would like to host them again then I would agree to store their luggage for free. Otherwise no.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I've done this for an Australian lady who booked two (one-week) stays with me. It came about after plenty of conversation tho, and it wasn't a problem. 

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I wouldn't risk it. If your guests have booked in advance then they have plenty of time to find another option for their luggage storage & if they don't have time then again not your problem to have to worry about, I would tell them they need to figure it out themselves especially since they are new guests. I would definitely be concerned with them claiming  something is missing & it being a super expensive item(s) or you storing something they had that's illegal/hazardous/a bomb, I know that's an extreme but you can never be to safe! 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Chuan16  . Ask them why? Tell them it’s for insurance purposes .  They could be Te Ahroha hikers. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Ria16 They ARE Te Ahroha hikers. Chuan said that.