Guests want to leave their bags for two months and rebook a later stay

Chuan16
Level 2
Christchurch, NZ

Guests want to leave their bags for two months and rebook a later stay

Hi all!,

As the title says. I do have the space and I'm not actually concerned about my safety and all that but is this a normal request?

I must admit i'm not super confortable with this request. I do have the space but I'd just prefer not to. Is there a charge I should attach to this?

Thanks 🙂

20 Replies 20
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Ah apologies @Helen350 i missed that . 

There are hundreds coming through northland at the moment all SOBO,s or Southbound.  Great for tourism 🙂 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chuan16  I have a friend who traveled in Thailand- she stayed at a guest house in Bangkok. She said one of the great things about the place, was that the guy who ran the guest house, who was a really ccol guy, let guests leave their luggage there while they travelled around other parts of Thailand. 

So it can be an okay thing, but it's different in your case, because you don't have any experience with these people. Maybe after they stay with you, you can decide it's okay for them to leave their luggage, but meantime I'd do as others suggested- research luggage facilities or secure lockers in your area where they can leave their stuff. You can always decide after their first stay to let them leave it at your place, but I wouldn't make any promises at this point, or even mention that you might be okay with it.

Chuan16
Level 2
Christchurch, NZ

Thanks everyone! I have spoken to them and suggested other alternatives. 🙂

you have the space and it isn't inconvenient, what's the harm.

As long as the luggage isn't ticking, doesn't smell of marzipan and has no wires hanging out of it 

Seriously though, some luggage transfer companies will provide a holding service, which is probably what I'd point them to, and they don't charge much (in the UK at least)

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If you like the guest you can do this. 

On top of your charge (charge market rate) add a refundable $100 deposit for the risk of having to take it to the dump if they never return.

put the retrieval date in writing.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

CHARGE THEM A STORAGE FEE!!! SIMPLE!

I had a guest leave her luggage at my place for over a year. It wasnt really in the way. then one of her friends came and stayed at my place on and off for a couple months. then took the bag with him. But it wasnt in the way so I didnt really care.