Guests wanting to pre-view before booking, should i agree to it?

Sally41
Level 2
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Guests wanting to pre-view before booking, should i agree to it?

I have just started Airbnb hosting and so far have had two lovely guests who gave great feedback.  I have had a further request from a new guest to stay 5 nights with one days notice. There is no feedback or recommendations for the new guest as yet. I have pre-accepted the booking. However the new guest wishes to pre-view the property by visiting and wants to know the address and postcode before booking. I have replied that they can preview by prior arrangement at a more suitable time and have had no further communication from them. Have other hosts had this request and is this usual? There are few pictures but sound recommendations on my listing, this should be sufficient to form an opinion.

13 Replies 13
Ian29
Level 2
Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Spain

Sally,

Don't entertain it. One you are not allowed to exchange information like that on the AirBnb platform. Two tell them the pictures are there for that, you don't visit hotels when you stay there. Would a guest from Brighton want to visit an apartment in Hong Kong before staying, sorry but i smell a rat. maybe a scam or other.

They could then try to book outside the system doing AirBnb out of % thus you risk losing your listing and more importantly the insurance coverage you get for making your place available on AirBnB.

Just my thoughts

It may be a perfectly genuine request, some people can be very picky, and if he's in the area already then he maybe doesn't see anything unusual about asking to be able to view your property first. But Airbnb doesn't allow you to exchange private contact details (phone numbers, email addresses etc) with guests at the enquiry or booking request stages, so you won't be able to provide the guest with your address until they have made a confirmed booking, which I guess would defeat the purpose of his request. Just explain this to him, and advise that your listing has images of your property which reflect a true and accurate likeness, and if he has a genuine interest in staying at your place, then he should be happy to book based on this.

Ri1
Level 1
Richmond, United Kingdom

I have just had the same request from a guest. I have emailed them via airbnb to state not possible as I, nor they, are covered by anything with Airbnb unless a booking is made first. It is best for your and their safety to not entertain pre-viewings as you are just strangers and letting a stranger into your home and providing home address details etc outside of a booking. 

The topic of allowing guests to preview a listing comes up from time to time on these discussion boards.

I have yet to find any significant number of experienced hosts who think allowing previews is a good idea,

and a very very large number who think it is a terrible idea.

Search this board for other discussions of the topic of allowing previews and you should find a wealth of advice and stories.

Gina1
Level 2
Loughton, United Kingdom

I have had two such requests in the past two months.  Both requests I felt were reasonable as one wanted to book for six weeks and the other (today) wants to book for a month.  I don't feel it's unreasonable if someone is having a longer stay although personally for me it's inconvenient unless the room has noone in it.  But I'm sure there must be a way / option of being able to do this without AirBnB losing any income and not losing potenial guests.  On mine alone I've missed out on £1K by not having this option and AirBnB have missed out on fees too

Sandra754
Level 3
Sandpoint, ID

Five nights with one day’s notice? Absolutely not. The photos and listing information is all they need to book a stay. Don’t let this make you nervous because you are new to the system. Just let your history as a host unfold, and the bookings will come.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Sally41 We do not allow pre-views for short rentals regardless of the reasons. Our policy has nothing to do with insurance or BNB rules it is based on a very bad experience we had with a guest when we first started. This guest asked to pre-view one of our lodges, he asked some unusual questions about access and back doors etc but because we where newbies we did not pick up on the warning signs. To cut a long story short this guest was checking out our lodge to see if it would be suitable to bring in extra guests after dark without anyone seeing them!!!! Our house rules clearly state a maximum of four guests this chap tried to bring in eight!!!!! My advise is never allow pre-views unless you are absolutely sure what you are letting yourself in for.

Regards Shaun

Sally41
Level 2

Though the original post was ages ago, I have had no problem with any of my other guests, and nearly always, on the contrary, have a great experience with them. Now wiser to possible scams and potential poor guests.  Thanks for your input, all

Sally41
Level 2

Hi Gina, 

Agreed if the guest books for a longer period. I have made everything clear on my listing, and guests know about the listing prior to booking. I don’t mind at all if I miss out on a booking, I want to be as confident about a guest as possible. I have refused guests with unusual requests, or ones who clearly didn’t read the details in the listing!

I am a student who is looking for a airbnb for summer. Not providing address is keeping me from booking, because I don't know if the place is safe or not, cuz I've seen people end up booking sketchy places and not being able to refund

the google map can actually tell you where the location is.

Street and surrounding area is good enough to make the judgment. 

I do not believe you need the video walk through etc. for 1 months stay.

reason I say this bc they are some thefts and squatter that looking for indicate the location to break in and steal  

That is what reviews are for - find rooms where guests have stayed before. I would never give anyone the address without booking. Huge red flag. 

Kathy1404
Level 1
Birmingham, AL

Huge red flags with that request. I flat-out tell them no.  I provide plenty of pictures and abundant reviews from other guests - 5 stars. No, you will not pre-view the property, get the address; nor will you Zoom or Facetime me.  It's weird and I'm not having it, don't need it.