Guests who arrive early and take advantage!

Answered!
Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Guests who arrive early and take advantage!

Hi everyone. I'm an experienced host but I'm looking for some 'form of words' or other practical advice regarding the situation where guests want to arrive several hours early.

Experience has taught me the importance of firm boundaries and I don't usually deviate from them without good reason - but I also want to be a welcoming flexible person who cares about my guests' convenience 🙂

Today's guests started asking for an early check-in when they booked several months ago because their flight would be arriving in the morning. My check-in time (in my own home) is from 3.00pm onwards. I told them that I could not guarantee an early check-in so far in advance - there could well be guests from the night before still in the room and I didn't know my own schedule for that day yet.

They asked again about two weeks out - and I explained that I still couldn't confirm this (especially on a weekend in high season) but that they could book the previous night if they wanted guaranteed access to the room before check-in time. They said they only wanted to drop their bags and go off out to explore. I guess I shouldn't have believed them! Once I knew that the previous night would not be booked and I could have the room ready for the morning, I agreed that that they could drop their bags between 10.00am and midday.

They messaged me this morning saying they would arrive 'by 10.00am', so I had to come home early from my morning appointment to meet them.

Instead of just dropping off their bags, they then spent nearly two hours having lengthy showers before unpacking and only then leaving the house to start exploring the city. I think this is a bit cheeky but I'm not going to say anything about it since they had just come off a long flight - but what took me aback was when just before leaving the house they then asked if they could "have breakfast now"!

They are already making full use of my house well in advance of the time they have paid for, and now they expect an extra free breakfast. I told them politely no, because it is now midday and well past breakfast time, and they seem to have accepted this. 

I know I could just be completely strict and never let anyone 'bend the rules' in any way and then they wouldn't be able to take advantage, but with the aim of beng reasonably flexible, I am just wondering how other guests deal with this sort of thing and does anyone have a friendly-but-firm way of nipping it in the bud during a guest's stay? And what, if anything, would you say in their review afterwards?

1 Best Answer
Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Helen0 

After dealing with constant requests from guests for extra hours (early check in, late check out, upwards to 6-12 hours) I’ve implemented a small hourly fee which is clearly started in my house rules along with “subject to availability”. 

80% of the request disappeared. The other 20% happily pays the small fee for their request in which case I also usually give them one free hour out of curtesy. 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Helen0 

After dealing with constant requests from guests for extra hours (early check in, late check out, upwards to 6-12 hours) I’ve implemented a small hourly fee which is clearly started in my house rules along with “subject to availability”. 

80% of the request disappeared. The other 20% happily pays the small fee for their request in which case I also usually give them one free hour out of curtesy. 

I’ve had same experience as @Monika64 as soon as it’s a $10/hour fee then they manage to find a way to occupy themselves 

and “drop bags” always turns into “freshen up, change clothes, hang around a bit”

and some people live by you don’t get what you don’t ask for

as for the review, maybe “asked for, received and made very extensive use of early bag drop off”

Where do you state this? Hourly fee is genius.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I have a canned answer saying that they're able to come by to drop off their luggage and give them a list of nearby attractions to spend their time with while waiting for check in time. If the place is ready when they arrive and they seem cool I tell them that they're lucky and can just check in then. If they're arrogant or snobbish I tell them to come back at the check in time. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen0  I do allow  luggage drop off, but it is exactly that - nothing more.  They leave their bags in the halll and I don't allow them to go up the stairs to the room and shower room.  As for them asking for breakfast, that's just brass neck and I am so glad you refused!

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Exactly  the same as @Rachel0 

A bag drop is just that and guests are told they will not have access to the room or facilities. 

Some guests take advantage. One couple took food for all their meals from the breakfast provided,  and even snuck in for midnight snacks.  I no longer provide breakfast. 

Another group asked to leave their bags for later collection as they had night flight. Were told to leave all cases in hallway. They returned, left toilet in filthy condition and even took showers. The place had been cleaned all perfect for the new guests coming in that evening. I no longer allow any left bags either! Never.  Haha

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen0  If you want to allow luggage drop-off, but avoid guests thinking they can use the facilities, I would stand firm on actual check-in time. I wouldn't even mention the possibility that they could check-in early if you didn't have a guest the previous night. "I wish I could accomodate an early check-in, but the hours before my check-in time are allotted for cleaning the unit. So you could drop off your bags in the hallway, but the unit won't be ready for you until 3 PM. There's a lovely cafe just down the block where you could relax and have a bite to eat, and a museum in the area as well. If you prefer to shower, relax and get settled after your journey before going out, that long before stated check-in, the way to do that is to book the previous night as well. Then you can arrive as early as you want. "

Then, if they decline to book the previous night, and if you don't have a booking for the previous night and can get the unit cleaned earlier, you could message them a day before- "Hi XX- As I didn't have a booking tonight, I was able to get in and clean the unit today. So if you wish to check in at XX, I could accomodate that for you." Happy surprise for the guests, but without them nagging about it beforehand.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Helen0

Thank you for sharing. 

I know this is kind of mean, but your story made me laugh.

We've all been there.

We all know this guest.

Sarah is right. Don't mention anything about the night before. It is none of the guest's business.

I allow luggage drop off, but I preface by saying "you are welcome to drop off your bags early,  but formal checkin is 3:00 pm." 

It's best if you can accept the bags in a separate building. Under NO circumstances allow them entry into the bedrooms.

Also learn to lie. "Your bags are now locked in the house. I have to go to work now and the housekeepers need to work . come back at 3:00" 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have a very flexible check-in time, because I don't take back-to back or same day bookings and work from home. So my check-in is from 11 AM to 11 PM, which suits almost all guests just fine. (Not suggesting others do this, just saying)

I recently had a young guest who was the exact opposite of the entitled and demanding guest who wants to check in or out outside of stated times. Her flight was arriving at 8AM and it takes about an hour to bus from the airport. She messaged me her flight arrival time, which I had asked for, then said that she knew that was too early to check-in (a guest who read the listing info!), so she'd just find a cafe to hang out in in town until 11. I messaged back thanking her for her consideration, but said that it wasn't really a problem, and I'd be happy to pick her up at bus stop at 9 if she'd prefer to check in as soon as she got to town. She thanked me and said she'd really appreciate that. Lovely guest she was.

Vicki244
Level 2
Harrison, AR

Someone said they implemented an hourly charge for early arrival. Just how do you do that?? 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Honestly if 1 think i don't mind it is if guests arriving early when the apartment is ready/unoccupied the previous night or i am aware the previous guest is leaving very early and my cleaner can clean early as well.
The only thing i am strict about is check out as he impacts my cleaners.