Guests who do too much clean up? What to mention?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Guests who do too much clean up? What to mention?

Have you ever had a really considerate guest who went the extra mile to clean up, but actually ended up doing damage by cleaning things they weren't supposed to? We just had someone run some items through the dishwasher that were not dishwasher safe. Not a huge deal as our replacement cost is probably all of $8, but this is a guest who will be back.  I need to find a way to say "please don't do that again" while expressing appreciation that they clean up so thoroughly.  Or I guess I could just not say anything and replace the items each time!

3 Replies 3
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 Are the items really badly damaged? Like useable or just not looking their best? I would buy new ones but save the 'damaged' ones. If this guest returns put the damaged ones back in the space for her to use. She can then put them in the dishwasher as many times as she'd like. Maybe then she will discover that she's damaging them?

@Emilia42  good idea. Yes one is usable but the other isn't. I can certainly put the damaged one back out just for her.

@Laura2592 I did this once with dishtowels. I had a guest stain the heck out of a couple of dish towels. When they returned, I put the same dishtowels back in the kitchen. They never said anything about it, and of course, more new stains after they used them again.