Guests who don't like your furniture

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Guests who don't like your furniture

We have a suggestion box, which I have found is a nice safety valve from nitpicky feedback in a review. Guests can tell you what they think should be improved immediately, feel heard and not even sign their name if they don't want to. We have actually gotten some really great ideas for our outdoor spaces (the box is set up to say "what is big improvement project we should work on in the coming years? Something like a hot tub? Outdoor shower? New back porch? Tell us your thoughts!") It can also tell me a little bit about the mindset of the guest. Complain-y suggestion and no communication? Lets me know to triple check that there were not any issues we weren't told about. 

We have had a series of retired and older guests in the last several weeks and suddenly we are getting lots of suggestions about the furniture. The sofa is too hard to get out of. There aren't enough "recliner type chairs."  Sofa doesn't fit enough people. They don't like the leather. My listing has older photos, but we added a big velvet wing chair and ottoman in the corner of the living room. My sofa is about 8 feet long and easily seats 4 which is the max capacity of the listing.  We also added tie-on cushions to the kitchen chairs as they are admittedly cute but not super comfortable.  And a leather sofa is essential for any pet friendly listing. There really isn't enough room to do "recliner type" chairs as they take up a lot of space (and don't really go with the decor.)

So two questions 1) how much should you take guest's opinions on furnishings into account and 2) as a guest, would not liking the furniture (or a piece of the furniture) cause you to either not revisit the space or leave a poor review? Just wondering how seriously to take these suggestions (or not.)

30 Replies 30

Got a low score for accuracy once.  I’d taken pictures of everything, nothing had changed but, the guest imagined the place was bigger or something.  

Perhaps the dissatisfaction had nothing to do with the space or hosting

Simona563
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 a host recently told me that accuracy of listing is super critical - guests almost feel cheated. Some might see the good side (better stuff), but others will just see what they want to - that it is not the same!

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

The most important factor for me is the correspondence between expectation and reality. If the photo shows all the furniture and space correctly, what kind of claims can there be?
A mattress is a very intimate and individual thing, someone may be uncomfortable with the most expensive mattress, but I will not take it into account if it is really a quality product and the other guests are satisfied.
But it is not furniture, it is a feeling.
And so everything should be clear from the photos. sofas, ottoman - if the guest does not like this design and furniture, it is worth booking in another list, and not to express dissatisfaction if I have everything written in detail and clear.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Mark116  No offense, but I can understand your guest.🙊  Did you leave everything in the same color tone, for example? Because if I book the white interior, and come and see the black and red, I'll be hysterical and I'll put the rating 1*, sorry.  Changing the toilet may not be noticed, it is something white and cold, but the design means a lot. 😆 Someone can see a chair "like in childhood" and it will affect the choice, and then the surprise is all new. Yes, I'm sure it's better and more quality, but photos should always be real.😉

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

We've added some new furniture recently, but been careful to take new photos of these rooms and replace them in our listing. I don't like it when I check in anywhere (hotels included) and the room bears no resemblance to the photo I booked. 

Jo620
Level 4
Wokingham, United Kingdom

@Jerry250,

I'm after a bedside cabinet as i'm hosting two people ,but how important is it to match colour with the other one I  already have which is wooden.? With being young in the business money is a bit tight 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Recliner chairs? Those Lazy-Boys are on my list of "ugliest things ever invented", right along with Birkenstocks and orange shag carpet .😝

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Laura2592 

I have never scratched my head on the question if guests like my furniture or not.

My place is as it is which is clearly visible in my listingpictures and guests get what they pay for.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ute42  You are, as always, absolutely clear! 😎 If reality corresponds to photos, the concept "like it or not" is quite strange. If everything is depicted in a photo in an accurate way.
@Sarah977  Hahaha, I am an absolute fan of Birkenstock.🤣 these are the most comfortable shoes, and I wear them almost all year round. 😂

I know they're really comfortable, at least that's what everyone says who has them, I just can't get past the ugly factor. I saw a really funny cartoon once- a woman is sitting on a doctor's examining table, and the doctor is standing in front of her holding a shoe box that says "Birkenstocks" on it. The doctor says "I'm all out of birth control pills, but here, try these."

@Anna9170

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Sarah977  Yeahh,  I like ugly design. Crocs, Birkenstock and Uggs were always my favorite shoes. 😆

Carmen-M-2
Level 2
Florida, United States

Omg...I have a guest right now complaining about the living room furniture, older couple. I need a light couch so guests.can move it out of the way of the murphy bed....others have not complained...any idea for a comfortable lightweight couch....my place sleeps 4.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Laura2592   There is no pleasing every guest, but as an older person, I can say that it would be nice to see an ottoman or footstool in some listings to accommodate those of us who need to elevate our feet while seated.  (No recliners please!) I also appreciate hosts who provide a grab bar in showers and tubs - useful to all ages.  Your home needs to be comfortable and reflect your aesthetic; if the guest is not pleased, it is temporary and the next time that they travel they can rent a different accommodation.

If you do not immediately update the pictures when making a major change, yes, the guest can be unhappy with the change, even if the host's intention was for improvement.  After all, the pictures are selling your place even more than your text.   I have a note on my listing that says that the fabrics (mostly the bedding) in my home may change from those pictured.  However, when a larger sofa was installed, a new picture went up asap.  I also write to guests who booked prior to the change but have not yet stayed to let them know that I am updating.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I had some spine problems a few years ago and I felt uncomfortable on every chair, bed, sofa... except those very veeery soft ones. So I can understand old people, they all have some bad knee or spine or hip and their taste of design is very vintage. And yes, those old chairs and sofas with springs and cushions filled with feathers are more comfortable and durable than new ones made of foam  🙂

But, as someone mentioned earlier - if they are not your target group and if you and most of your guests feel comfortable in your place, then you shouldn't change anything.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Good points made above;' reiterating one and remind all of another.  Stick to your target audience, in business if you satisfy 90%+; beware of chasing the irrelevant tangents (the remaining 10%).

Most important however in any place is comfort; when features are easy to use people forget what they look like; unfortunately, oftentimes people strife to make their place look good for a picture at the expense of real comfort. When a place is 'easy to use' guests will feel  it. This is a very big subject and encompasses lightning, placement, height, materials, reach and flow and requires constant thought and effort. Oftentimes it is the little things that are most important.