Guests who don't read the description and then mark us down on the Accuracy score

Ingrid55
Level 3
Taree, Australia

Guests who don't read the description and then mark us down on the Accuracy score

Hi Fellow AirBNB Hosts,

This is the first time I've ever had cause to comment here... 

We recently had a couple stay in our Private Room (in our home) who clearly did not read the description.  Turns out they thought were getting our entire home (they are first time AirBNB users) for $64 AUD per night... yeah, right!  

They raved about how wonderful we were during the stay... but obviously this was not what they had hoped for.  

Anyhow, the description we have for the room is very clear in that it states they have an ensuite toilet with washbasin attached to their private room (and it is private), but for the shower they need to use our second bathroom (which is shared with us).  We also say we don't have a TV in the room, BUT we have high speed internet which allows any of our guests to stream movies or whatever on their iPads or tablets (all in the description).  

I am really cross because they commented on our accuracy based on the shared shower room and no TV.  I was flawed, and really quite annoyed. 

I have now changed the description so that now written in UPPER CASE is a request to 'please read the description...'  

In the scheme of things, I guess it's just a small hiccup, but it is really annoying when, for $64, these guests receive a really lovely space complete with a lovely breakfast, and the invitation to use anything they wish...  

We are trying to achieve SuperHost status, and issues like this where they don't read the description just doesn't help.

Does anyone else run into issues like this, and if so, how do you deal with them?

Ingrid

34 Replies 34
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Previously there would not be anything you could do, but under the new system if they give you less that 5 stars they are asked to give a reason why, a false reason should result in ABB removing the review.

David

Thanks David,

So, do I contact AirBNB about the comment they made in relation to the Accuracy rating?

Ingrid

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ingrid55 

Yes I am afraid @Ange is right, Airbnb do tend to side with the guest. You can contact Airbnb but about all they will say is, 'that was the guests perception and there is nothing wrong with that'! Having said that I can't see the review in question so maybe you have had it sucessfully removed!

This happens so often and about the only recourse you have is to have a tongue in cheek comment in your review response....

"It was unfortunate that time did not permit us to engage a builder to tack on those extra rooms the guest thought they were going to get"! Something like that makes the guest look a fool and although there is nothing you can do about that mark down star rating at least you have had your say.

The other thing is, one bad review in a bunch of good ones like you have got Ingrid is not going to carry a lot of weight! All it will do is make the guest look difficult! All the best Ingrid....

Cheers.....Rob

@David126    "a false reason should result in ABB removing the review"    

Should?  yes !  but it doesn't.   I've tried and with indisputable evidence.  For Airbnb the guest is always right, even when wrong.

@Ange2 - that's so annoying!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Ingrid55. Something else you might try is with the descriptions on the photos. Some guests, we learn the hard way, look only at the pretty pictures. So on the one that says "the kitchen" you could write something like "This is the kitchen you are welcome to share with us." Same with "This is the sitting room we are happy to share with you". That sort of thing will make it clear to the wow-whole-house-for-cheap! people that they are not getting a whole house. 

Do you know how to fix the photo that is oriented the wrong way? Best way I have found is to open the original in editing software - photoshop or gimp or even an online one like picmonkey - and spin it around, even if it is already right-way-up. Save it. Then reload it onto your listing. Let me know if that works for you. 

Thanks @Lawrene0 - that's a great idea!  I will do this... and, yes, I will change the photo orientation.  It seems to have changed from the original version as I was certain everything was correctly oriented!  

MariaAnna3
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Yes i had the same problem..

my flat is in one of the most expensive  area of London.  I rent my in- suite bedroom out   and share the living room and kitchen only while i am in London ( i work most of the time out of London). This coupe dtayed  for 2 weeks and i was there only 3 night..

This Couple from USA did not read the text in full.. When they sow  the price they jump on it, or they may  hoped i would not be there..

They they tought they were geting the whole flat that cost min £3000 per month to maintain.

They left a review saying everthing was perfect but only if i told them that i was going to be there so they could deside whether they wanted to book or not..

same people  Just like causing problem

Sunita7
Level 2
Rockville, MD

Ingrid,

Yes, My guest arrived 4days ago from England.  He was very excited when he saw the Private Room, bath and common areas.  I took him around to show the route to Metro and then I drove him to grocery store, pharmacy, post office and electronic store so he can buy sim-card for his phone, groceries etc. these stores are all in different directions.  We talked about our families etc. since we both are immigrents from different parts of this world.  BTW I donot have kids or pets sharing the house.

Before coming he communicated and asked if I can offer NIH discount as mentioned and then he wanted more because he said he is a student (completed medicine) on a tight budget, so I gave him very good special offer.  He was very happy as I mentioned for 4 days, then he said that he did not know he would be sharing the house!  He started the conversation with the words like he thinks he is paying too much rent.  He then said his parents would have not agreed to this sharing house with.... I told him he should know that Airbnb works with home owners who want to share or rent part of the house.  He said he knew that but he is not comfortable with that.  I asked him what does he expect from me or if he is dissatisfied he can take a decision and I will completely undersand his feelings.  I told him if he is shopping around and found some cheaper place he can take that and I will refund his money.  I don't want my guest to be unhappy in USA. Then he said he would not pay more than certain amount which is equalant to $.... if he was renting in England and then he asked me if I can reduce the rent further by $250 or more for a month!  I offered him to show me any "Room for Rent" for less than my listing I will let him live for free!  So the main misunderstanding was not about sharing a house which was very clear in the listing ONE PRIVATE ROOM and KITCHEN CAN BE SHARED but a sneaky way of getting reduce rent.  These smart renters who are educated and have excellent english language skills try to show dissatisfation to cheat us.  When I reduced the rent and he was happy and a felt he was so smart in fooling this old woman!

I printed the four page listing and high-lighted the details (which were not clear to him) and showed him how much it was listed and that he has a very good deal.  He has stopped talking to me now which is fine but very unprofessional.

Oh, one more thing he said he will not give bad review!  Lucky me!

Sunita **

Airbnb host since 2016 

@Sunita7 - that sounds very tricky!  

I wonder, did you check him out before you accepted his booking?  What were his past host comments?  

After all that you have done, it sounds like a very uncomfortable situation for you as the host to be in.  

Ingrid

Yes, I also have problems with guests who don't bother to read the listing. It's very frustrating!

Who is him? What is his name and where is his listed living location? 

I had similar experience too. Those smart guys using their trick to get what they want after booking. I desire not to host this kind people at all. Please share his name. So, less host gets hurt from him?..

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Your issue is very common with newbies and it is why many superhosts do not accept guests new to Airbnb.

Guests new to Airbnb do need more guidance.

If you don't want this situation again,

Immediately upon booking your must send them text like this 

" Are you new to Airbnb?  Welcome...

You have a private room, you will share a shower. Is that as you understand?"

Such service is a nice way to introduce people to Airbnb.

Good luck

Thank you @Paul154@Carmelita-and-Bernard0@Alice-and-Jeff0, and @Wendy-and-Frank0... Great suggestions in those comments, and I will certainly follow through on the communication pointers.  Even though our guests are all adults, it's amazing how many don't read the description correctly!  I am sure implementing these simple suggestions will go a long way to minimise any stress for the guest or myself!

Have a great day / evening!

Cheers,

Ingrid