Guests who don’t respect arrival time

Kyi1
Level 6
Ottawa, Canada

Guests who don’t respect arrival time

it annoys me to no end that some guests think it’s ok to change their check-in time at the last minute because they want to go somewhere first before checking in. We just had 3 bookings in a row, and all of them didn’t show up on the time they said they would and then informed us 30 mins after they are grabbing dinner first. I find it very disrespectful 

26 Replies 26
Laura2484
Level 10
Ohope, New Zealand

I agree @Kyi1  it is annoying and inconsiderate when guests fail to keep to their arranged check in time, I don’t mind however if they have last minutes changes but I would rather be made aware than having to wait around. As mentioned by @Sarah977 , a text or message is all it takes.

In our pre check in details I ask if there are travel delays to let me know by text , mostly the delays are because they left later due to work or they are grabbing a few things from the supermarket.

Sometimes , if they are international travellers or guests arriving during peak season I always caution them about safe driving instead of rushing to try and meet the check in time.

Communication is of course the key.

We have an entire place listing and choose not to have self check in options.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Too many guests think you're at their beck and call and simply don't think the impact their actions have on us. I had one particular guest who turned up three hours late and laughed when I asked why they hadn't kept in touch. 

Here's the review I left them: 'X and her boyfriend arrived three hours late (just before midnight) having decided that dinner in a restaurant was more important than being on time. They left the (ground floor) window of their room open on three separate occasions, despite reminders to secure it. Departed without saying goodbye'.

She then had the to complain to Airbnb about the review (and send me a few hissy messages). To their 
credit, Airbnb didn't remove the review. 

@Kyi1  A slight variation in the way you communicate the check-in procedure might help here, as @Sarah977 suggests. It should be clear that informing you of the arrival time is not just a courtesy, but also that arriving or updating on delays in the designated time window is a requirement for access to the property. 

So I've never left a negative review on airbnb before and I'm about to. I had a guest this weekend due to arrive Friday 4pm. (If asked in advance I could arrange check-in at around 2pm) - We have a very strict cleaning regime at the moment re: Covid-19. - So I wake up 1:30am on Friday Morning to see that I've had a missed call from the guest at 11:45pm (Thursday). I then see I've got an airbnb message from 1:am (Friday.) "Informing" me that they are on their way and had to leave earlier than expected and requested early check-in. Now that would bring their arrival to around 5am!!! - Checkin-in is 4pm! 

Anyway. Half asleep I respond... I can try arrange for an early check-in of around lunchtime. (Cleaning staff only start at 9am etc.) - Luckily we don't have any check-outs that day in that unit.

So then 5:45 am (Friday) I'm woken by multiple calls and messages. "They have arrived and urgently need to freshen up after a long overnight journey!" 

Needless to say I jumped through hoops trying to get the unit prepped. I arranged for them in the meantime to make use of lodge facilities and amenities.

It was a nightmare. For a 2 night stay? - Really not worth it and frustrating as anything!

"Needless to say I jumped through hoops trying to get the unit prepped."

You really don't need to cater to clueless, entitled people like this. (calling you at 1:30 AM and expecting a response? And expecting that they could check in 11 hours before stated check-in?) IMO, the appropriate way to deal with a scenario like this is to respond  "As is stated in our listing, our check-in window starts at 4PM. If you were planning to arrive in the wee morning hours, in contravention of our check-in time, you should have booked Thursday night as well. Unfortunately, your last-minute travel plan notice cannot be accommodated. Not to mention, that Airbnbs are people's homes, not hotels with 24 hour reception- most Airbnb hosts, just like normal people, are sound asleep at 1:30 AM when you saw fit to call. There's a motel at.... where you could stay until we are open for your check-in."

If it were me, I really wouldn't have cared whether these rude people decided not to show up at all, sent me nasty messages, or left a bad review. I wouldn't want anything to do with them.

But I'm glad you are going to leave them the honest, negative review they well deserve.

@Raymond324

Agreed. Probably just the added pressure being 0.1 points away from getting my superhost status back making me not think clearly! . Won't happen again though!

@Raymond324  don't care about superhost .. you have a stunning beautiful lodge and you will rent it out easily with or without superhost status ... !

Airbnb will kiss your bum to keep you as a host  😄

@Raymond324  sorry to say this but you are a Idio.. , all you do with your jumps is spoiling guests... and next time these guests are going to other hosts expecting the same.

Indeed I am. Like I mentioned elsewhere here... Probably just the added pressure being 0.1 points away from getting my superhost status back making me not think clearly! . Won't happen again though! And I followed through and left them a negative review. 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Raymond324  What blatant rudeness! 😡 Please do not pick up the phone at this time, the guest has not yet made entry to your accommodation, and their problems are not currently your concern. Only correspondence on the Airbnb platform. I would not have met such a guest earlier in principle, only agreed arrival time after 16 hours.
No hotel would let them in half a day earlier without paying extra. Sorry, but such guests need to be educated (strictly within the agreed rules, of course).

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Raymond324  

Hi Raymond, let me ask You a personal question and I'm asking You for an honest answer:

• Why did You let these people check in at sunrise?

These people are extremely rude. They are calling You at midnight, not to ask for a before breakfast check-in, they are telling You they will check-in before breakfast. That is 10 hrs earlier than the check-in time in their rental agreement which is 4pm.

These people would not have checked into my place before 4pm, not 5 minutes earlier. I would have let them standing in the open, watching them and their children p**   into their pants. Are You aware of the fact that these people will do the exact same thing to their next host, bc they got their way with You?

Again, I'm asking You: Why did You let these people in in the morning?

cc:  @Anna9170 @Sarah977 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ute42  You wrote very correctly, these people do not ask, but tell you when you should accept them. And I am also surprised why @Raymond324  did it. 😎