Guests who lie to get out of a reservation

Mary-Alice3
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

Guests who lie to get out of a reservation

This has now happened to me twice: guests who lie to get out of a reservation. 

The first time I had a woman with a Golden Doodle. The dog was afraid of my kitten (don’t laugh). She instead told me my Airbnb was very dirty and she needed to immediately leave. I apologized and gave her a full refund, but she still gave me an awful review.

I just recently had 6 elderly sisters (3 staying with me) having a reunion. One lived close by and upon coming to my Airbnb, said she had wanted to host them herself. The next day I received a plethora of complaints with the 3 sisters demanding a cancellation. I complied.

I have worked incredibly hard to become a Superhost. Yet, again, I face the potential for a bad review when I have done NOTHING WRONG. 

I am curious and seeking advice as I imagine there are others out there you have faced this as well. It feels so unjust! 

Thoughts? Advice?

15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mary-Alice3 Sorry you've had these scammers. I don't see that bad review on your profile, but didn't read past the first page of your glowing reviews.

I strongly suggest that you don't apologize to guests when they act like this, as you have nothing to apologize for, and stop offering to refund them. They leave bad reviews regardless, so at least if you don't refund them, you have the money. Why reward liars with refunds?

Excellent advice! I wish I could revert my refund. Next time....

Sometimes, giving a small (or large) refund, avoids you a trauma and a week or two of bad feelings - which, after much experience, I have started to think might be worth it in some cases.

Most of my guests have been honest, and most don't try unpleasant tactics to get money back.  A small percentage (growing now with covid situation) do.

Usually it's when the person has changed their mind doesn't want to come and doesn't want to respect the cancellation policy they agreed to when booking.  I've decided to let these guests go (for partial not full refund), because they inevitably create lots of negative energy either way.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Mary-Alice3 as you can see, these people give you a bad review even if you give them a refund.  So don’t. If they complain your place is dirty, just offer to clean it. Next time before you take any action, post here and see what other hosts recommend doing. You don’t have to respond to you guests immediately.

I still feel so low. As many of you may also experience, these situations really affect my view of humanity. However, it’s 1 out of 75 reservations, right? Just wish they could walk in our shoes for once....

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mary-Alice3 

Mary-Alice, if we lived in a perfect world there would be no police, no jails, no need for rules because everyone would do the right thing!

Unfortunately we don't, there are wonderful humanitarian citizens, and there are the in betweens all the way down to those whose reside in the swamp of life at the level of....... slime!

Don't take it too hardly when you have done nothing wrong, your 73 positive reviews will march to a much louder drum than those odd negative ones. 

It hurts, I know it hurts when you have done your best, the guest turns around, bends the rules and stabs you in the back....but just remember, for every one of those there are 73 great guests out there.

Play the numbers game Mary-Alice, whatever they write will say more about them than it will say about you!  

Cheers.......Rob

Thanks v much. Your words and advice gave me comfort, Rob

One in 75 is about consistent with my experience too.
Take heart you'll get another appreciative guest soon!
And have a look at the new EC policy, this is going to empower hosts a lot more - guests can no longer cancel for free for personal reasons.  Airbnb does listen to us, sometimes.

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Mary-Alice3   Hello Mary-Alice. I'm sorry you have had this experience.   Yes, the system is unfair and obviously revengeful reviews are allowed.  I hope that one day AirBNB will realise that they don't support their hosts in this regard and this damages the hosts' reputations.

I didn’t yet get their review, thank God. Their unkindness ruined about 3 days of my life. (That may sound crazy, but I’m a sensitive person and NOT a liar.) And so we move on....

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Airbnb, like many of these 'Internet' companies of the last 20 years, have a tendency to pander to hustlers, scammers and liars, so every once in a while every host is going to get one of these types of guests. Last thing you want do is go along with it willingly.

V well said! Thx much

@Mary-Alice3 

you main problem is that you set a strict cancellation policy when you are not able to apply it.
Strict cancellation policy is for strong host who know how to be respected by travellers and Airbnb.

Not for them you repay just because the guest ask for it (never mind how they ask).

I suggest you to change for a moderate cancellation policy.
So you can propose to cancel the reservation and they will by repaid of 50%.
If you are strict enough, it helps them to cancel or they will loose 50%.

If you are not strict enough, use the flexible cancellation policy because it is your way of hosting.

I am not afraid of reviews because i always write objective review.
So if the traveller does not want to have :

"Bad experience. X did not read the listing carefully  before booking and asked for a full refund for his own failures.

Place was left clean (or dirty). House rules respected (or not).
Be careful if you receive a request from X. Check he carefully read the listing and he accepts the cancellation policy".

I am not  sure he will be very successful with other Airbnb hosts.

Thx v much for your thoughts