Guests who lie to get out of a reservation

Mary-Alice3
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

Guests who lie to get out of a reservation

This has now happened to me twice: guests who lie to get out of a reservation. 

The first time I had a woman with a Golden Doodle. The dog was afraid of my kitten (don’t laugh). She instead told me my Airbnb was very dirty and she needed to immediately leave. I apologized and gave her a full refund, but she still gave me an awful review.

I just recently had 6 elderly sisters (3 staying with me) having a reunion. One lived close by and upon coming to my Airbnb, said she had wanted to host them herself. The next day I received a plethora of complaints with the 3 sisters demanding a cancellation. I complied.

I have worked incredibly hard to become a Superhost. Yet, again, I face the potential for a bad review when I have done NOTHING WRONG. 

I am curious and seeking advice as I imagine there are others out there you have faced this as well. It feels so unjust! 

Thoughts? Advice?

15 Replies 15

Having a strict policy does not mean you have to enforce it in every case.

It does protect you, because it puts the onus on the guest to try to get an unwarranted refund (perhaps by dishonest means).

Nothing stops a host, using her discretion, to make exceptions to their policy given the situation.  Why not agree on a partial refund instead of a full one, or a refund *if* you get a replacement booking.  These are things you can do that might reduce the tension with the guest but also give you some compensation.