Guests who remote work at your space-- tips and best practices?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Guests who remote work at your space-- tips and best practices?

We have had a fair number of people do weekday stays at our cottage to remote work. With more and more people being given this flexibility, its definitely a market we would be interested in exploring. We upgraded our WiFi recently and have been thinking about trading out a cute secretary desk in one of the bedrooms for a more substantial working desk. Beyond that, anyone have tips or best practices for hosts or guests who are joining the ranks of digital nomads?

14 Replies 14
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Personally I would want tourists who are gone all day. Less wear and tear on the place. One way of discouraging the types of guests who are home 24/7 is to not provide a TV. ; )

@Pete69 i think it depends on your market. We aren't in a city, and our place is unique so people really do like to hang out. We aren't onsite so it doesn't bother us. I don't mind attracting writers and professionals who use our cottage as a retreat.

@Pete69  Digital nomads work at their jobs online from wherever they are. Not having a TV has nothing to do with that.

And sure, most hosts would prefer tourists who are out and about a lot, but tourist traffic isn't a reality in most places during a pandemic.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 My smallest unit has very little space and no room for a workstation. But I've had a few people who have been working remotely. When I know someone will be on the computers for a longer period of time, I replace one of the kitchen table chairs with a cushioned wheely office armchair. I think the chair alone makes a big difference.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Laura2592 : A few years ago I had a guest book the treehouse for two weeks in order to work remotely. I pointed out that we had no wifi, and she said that didn't matter as she would be writing and wouldn't need it. A few days before check-in she wrote again to tell me what she would like to find set up for her. She wanted a bistro-style table and chair on a patio outside (sent a catalogue photo) as well as a comfy reading nook (sent a catalogue photo), and I think there was a morning coffee station and some such but I have forgotten because I didn't go out and buy any of the stuff. The treehouse is on a floodplain, which means all patios, bistro furniture, comfy nooks, etc., would wash away each time the river rises. Everything was fine in the end. She understood, did come for a few days to relax, but found a less rustic place to write. 

But I could send you the catalogue photos if they are still in my inbox. No? 😉

Seriously, I do think she was on to something. Not just one spot, but a few would be ideal. Work awhile on a sunny porch, then move to the desk sort of thing. 

@Laura2592   I was thinking along the same lines as @Emilia42 . If I were comparing places to use for a long bout of remote work, I'd actually be paying a lot more attention to the chair than to the desk, so if there's one home-office feature worth going high-end on it would be that. Especially if you want to keep it ergonomic without clashing with the vintage deco. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

This reminds me of a topic @Liv put out last year which has a few tips there.

Good to see it discussed again as things change so quickly with remote working!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Someone drinks the same herbal tea as me!

Ben-and-Sam0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

I host a small basement suite, and have this fold-up desk: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788CNM9Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_CAQNFPFPZR75ACX8YF78?_encoding=UTF8&psc...

Guests who have wanted to do some work have commented on how convenient it is to have a workspace that can be stowed away. I recently had a week-long digital nomad guest who was thrilled.

I second the advice above about a solid task chair. I got a basic IKEA chair, $50 or so, and haven't heard any complaints.

Fast and reliable wifi is a must. If you are sharing a connection with guests and have the tech chops to configure it, get a router that will do QoS / bandwidth allocation, to make sure there is sufficient bandwidth available for everyone. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 I provide (and look for):

- dedicated desk or table (not dining table), with adjustable office chair

- power strip(s) and lighting

- large monitor and printer, with variety of interface cables

- ideally, in a quiet separate room with a closing door

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Got me thinking now @Lisa723 we have a second bedroom with twin beds... could lose a bed and put in a desk..... Thanks!

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I just purchased a desk and chair for one of the upstairs bedrooms. Nothing fancy. I don't want to maintain or buy ink for a printer - so while I thought about getting one - decided against. We have a nice outdoor table with an electrical socket on the back deck if someone wants to work outdoors. 

@Ann783 yes it's true that ink is a bit of an issue-- we had an old printer and sometimes need to print ourselves, so we left it. I've been very surprised at how much people evidently use it, based on how often we have to replace the ink.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I have a downstairs two bedroom duplex and I have a desk and lamp in the smaller bedroom for this purpose.