Guests who take advantage….or i it me?

Karen25
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Guests who take advantage….or i it me?

I have been a host for many years now. But one thing that i find irritating recently is the number of guests who believe that because they have booked a room and are allowed access to the kitchen and laundry, that this means they have free access to my spices, oils, paper towel, tissues, laundry detergent/fabric softner, sauces etc etc. For example, I buy expensive olive oil for cooking. I noticed my dispenser was empty so went and bought more and discovered my guest filling the dispenser and liberally using it to cook his dinner. Do I really need to be that specific in my house rules as to say these things are not for community use? I have with my laundry detergent...not that it made a difference. Or is it reasonable to expect that guests help themselves. I have really only noticed it in the last year or so.  My accomodation is very reasonably priced and this really cuts into my margins. What do you guys think??

14 Replies 14
Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

You can charge a small fee per laundry cycle/ dryer that covers electricity, water and a washing powders.

This has a double effect, it covers your cost and hassle and also prevents guests who just want to do laundry because it's free 🙂 

For the kitchen I think people should at the least ask before assuming they can use your oil and spices, but it is usual to offer those things because it is silly to buy oil, vinegar and spices just for a few nights stay, guest usually end up leaving them at your house anyway because nobody wants an open bottle of oil in their luggage 

Karen25
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Yes I agree Kika. If people ask, I sure don't mind sharing. Especially if they are only passing through for a couple of days. It's the guest who feels comfortable and entitled to help themselves to everything. Like they are back home with mum and dad :-), that I find frustrating and rude.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Karen25

I fleetingly looked over the Guest access part of your listing and  think you are being too general in your description for one. It says you can use the kitchen and laundry.

If you don't want people helping themselves to laundry, say so. Your room prices are so low, that you can charge a small amount for each machine cycle incl. detergent. But make sure it's not self service.

I suppose you have designated a cupboard as well as a fridge area for guest use only? If not, do it.

Or even a small fridge for them only. I wouldn't want guests rummaging in my cupboards and borrowing the more expensive products, and for that reason I would supply some basics in or beside the guest cupboard.

I read a great tip from another host somewhere who suggested istalling some child-proof elements to block the host cupboards and deter any but the most determined smoochers. You could also add a note inside on the edge of a shelf 'private' or something to that extent. Try things out, see what works. Communication is best. 

You really have to be clear and explain it clearly upon check in. If that doesn't help, remind them, and set very clear boundaries when showing them around by letting them know what is for them. 

Sharing your home with people on a lower budget (I'm assuming that by your prices...) usually gets people so used to home sharing with house mates and using everybody's stuff they won't think twice helping themselves to yours.

Audrey53
Level 1
Pennsylvania, United States

I think it is hard to separate ones personal space from "rented" space if you share common area and are actually present while guests are there.  We have a house in a vacation beach area in New Jersey, USA.  We usually stock the kitchen with spices and also other essentials like soap, as well as a few rolls of toilet paper for the bathrooms.  We have a closet marked "Private" where we put those items we prefer guests not use and keep it locked.  

Of course it becomes more difficult when you have guests looking over your shoulder while you cook waiting for their turn.   Most guests are going to assume that if the detergent or other items are there , they can share.  You may have to bite the bullet and include a small fee or raise your daily prices just a bit so you don't feel taken advantage of.

Good Luck !

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Karen25  Wow you have been a member of Air BNB for quite a long time and I would imagine you have seen quite a number of changes for both the host and guest experience. Have you analyzed your cost to revenue ratio to include increasing guest expenses? There have been a number of discussion threads regarding how the guests have changed more recently, possibly due to the increased marketing by Air BNB, to be expecting a more hotel/motel experience and less of a included guest experience.  Is that your experience as well?  Also, are you involved with the Melbourne Shared Home Host Club?  

Hey Linda,

I think you are absolutely right. The increased marketing has let people think they are booking show home style accomodation equivalent to a hotel but with all the benefits of a home and local advice and experience. Makes it difficult to satisfy guests who are quick to forget that they are in someones family home 🙂

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Oh for crying out loud....  Quit being so damned cheap.  Do you charge guests to use the toilet paper?  Do you count the paper towels they use? 

You are a host.  Hosts do things to make their guests feel welcome and appreciated. 

Karen25
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for your pleasant feedback Mark.

I provide great, very reasonable priced accomodation. On the whole we are super generous with what is included with our offering for the price people pay. Not just in tangibles, but in hopsitality which is evident from my 200+ great reviews. I don't try and scrape every extra cent out of my guests nightly rate or charge for extras. More often than not they share meals with us.

So perhaps take your lousy attitude somewhere else. Try taking up meditation, you seem to have a lot of pent up anger!

All of my guests have given me high marks for being so accomodating...  However, I haven't had that many yet.  

I put a lot of info in house rules about what I'm offering and not offering.  It's uncomfortable to be that specific, but some people really don't know unless you state it clearly, since everyone has a different idea of how to live.  If you are clear, and warm, and kind, people feel welcome and they know what they're agreeing to.  

I also don't accept all guests.  If they don't have a profile filled out or they want something I'm not sure about, I discuss via email before accepting / or declining.

I'm not specific in my house rules about spices & kitchen supplies, but I may change that.  This discussion is helpful.  So far, most of the guests don't cook much, but my ad says "light cookin ok."  

When guests arrive, I show them their guest cupboard & drawer which has dishes, silverware, coffee, oatmeal and I put a few eggs in a carton on their shelf in the fridge.  I walk them around the house and show them where they can put their things in the bathroom, and in the kitchen I say "please stick to using these dishes, etc."  My ad says:  "Laundry ok 1x / week between 10am-10pm & I am willing to accomodate more where possible if they need." 

I think some guests don't read or remember House Rules.  Someone suggested printing out the House Rules and leaving it in their room.  

If someone doesn't follow House Rules I kindly remind them, assuming they forgot.  Some things I let slide.  I also consider how clearly I communicated, or not.  We're all imperfect. And, at the end of the day, even tho I don't charge high rates, I'm getting a decent return and I'm enjoying new friends.

Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

I put small dorm refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms and that seems to help a little bit.  I also fill a big Gain laundry detergent container with cheap detergent and hide the good stuff for myself because guests were constantly using tons of detergent.  I also limit guest laundry times (Wednesdays and Thursdays) after someone complained that I made her do my laundry and fold it before she could do hers.  SMH.  An option you can do regarding oils, spices, etc. is to buy cheap items and put them in a public cabinet and put a lock on a cabinet for your own use.  I had guests over once and another guest had left a bunch of canned soups and other quickie meals, and i clearly pointed out that they could help themselves to those items.  They dang nearly cleaned out my pantry of EVERYTHING.  

Thanks Julie, some great ideas there. I will make some changes. Thank you 🙂

Leah16
Level 4
Portland, OR

Hi Karen,
I am new to Airbnb but I'm used to having a lot of guest in my home.What I did to every guest I have was to show them what stuff they can use and even showed them the kitchen cabinet that's for owner only(meaning I don't want them to touch/use it).And the rest of the kitchen cabinets I told them to feel free to use whatever we have.I charged them cleaning fee so that covers my other household expense since I do my own cleaning.You should charge your guest something so it's not too painful for you if your guest use your personal stuff.

Leah

This has also happened to me, and I’m thankful for all the useful tips of other hosts.

Chani23
Level 2
Monterey, CA

I know this is an old post, but is anyone feeling a little more protective than usual of their household goods? I'm getting a lot of Monthly guests, and I feel like there should be a little flexibility in using my spices, condiments, etc... but then, i get the feeling after they leave, I'm responsible to replace it all, and that adds up.