Guests who text instead of using Airbnb messaging

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Guests who text instead of using Airbnb messaging

Had a few of these. I always encourage my guests to use Airbnb messaging but some text me directly despite this. One guest told me that "hosts prefer this." Is there a reason I  am missing that hosts might prefer a direct text message outside the Airbnb system? It just gets confusing to see all these numbers I don't recognize pop up.

33 Replies 33
Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

AirBnB demands that we use the AirBnB app for the purpose of making everything official and documented for their convenience. Since this is the case, it should be mandatory for guests to download it on their phones/devices in order to book. AirBnB only considers whatever was written on the app to be official, not from texting.

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

As a guest, I've had hosts want to communicate via WhatsApp, and I always let them know that, with the exception of when I'm traveling to them, I prefer to keep all communications on the platform. I do this to protect myself, as I've had some sketchy hosts, just as hosts have had sketchy guests. My only concern with the platform is that I'm not always sent notifications of host communications, which makes me look unresponsive and therefore potentially sketchy. Sometimes messages from hosts have shown up on the platform for the first time a couple days after they sent them! I hate the phone and keep it turned off unless I have to use it, so I wish the platform were more reliable so that a host wouldn't have unnecessary cause for stress or suspicion. 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

My big issue with this is when someone will ask to be sent the security code for the door over text message even after being sent the same code over AirBNB messaging.  That is a huge red flag for me that the person who is wanting this code may not be the same person who made the booking and that something fraudulent is possibly going on (espeically if its a different number from the one on the guest account.

I've had only two or three people ever make an issue about this and demand to be sent door codes over text.  In those cases I have told those who insist that I am actually not allowed to provide door codes over text messages.  Not sure if that is true or not, since the one thing I know for sure is we cant accept payment outside of AirBNB, but not sure about sensitive messages.

@Anthony608 I am not sure whether this is allowed or not, but while I was hosting I used to obtain the guest's email address over the Airbnb messaging, some days before their check in. I would email the directions, and some instructions, which would include that I would text the code on the day. Lots of UK guests don't seem to have the phone app, it worked well. I did once receive an attempt to squeeze a refund out of me by text from a guest in residence, but I spoke to him, then set out the conversation on the app. He desisted.