Guests who want to stay for free

Guests who want to stay for free

Okay, this is getting tiresome, the lack of AirBnB support for hosts, but please can AirBnB just delete a whole load of profiles who don't deserve to be on the platform, or at least make government ID mandatory? I have had several now requests for free accomodation, in return for some mention on social media (x amount of followers), or for some "professional photos" of my villa, or some such service in return for a free stay. Needless to say, all were politely declined, though why I should be polite is another matter. I report the message/users etc, but hey, I figure it is of no use. Another frequent scam is guests looking to take one room, but wanting the host to leave! "To ensure total privacy". Now I have to roll around laughing. Yes you read that correctly, guests basically wanting to kick the host/owner out of their own property. LOL

32 Replies 32
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"Sure, you can stay for free. Make sure to bring a warm sleeping bag, it can get chilly out there on the front step. For your convenience, there's a public restroom just two blocks away at the gas station."

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

Oh yes, this is a big problem. I run a hotel, and the number of requests we get from travel bloggers or instagram 'influencers' for a free room is staggering. When I was new at it 6 years ago, I said yes to one once - the hotel was quiet and she wrote a good letter. I gave her one free night if she paid for two. She was rude from arrival, and never did put a word about us on her blog, I checked. (it had a tiny readership anyway). Lesson learned for me, never do that again. I've only had it twice here on Airbnb and in both cases I said 'Sure, I'll send through the special offer right away' and sent through an offer for a bit MORE than the listed price. Cheeky, but so is asking for a free room. 

@David146 

I do not see "Ignore" in my listing, I recently declined a Third party request to book from the mother? of one of two small boys 16 years old. As soon as I know - we as hosts have the right to decline in the 24 hours window when the request or the inquiry is from someone who is asking something which is against airbnb rules.

Do I have instead to flag them and tell them that they should decline their inquiry? And if they are not going to do it in 24 hours?

Yes, pictures are nonsence - that is why I am not asking them as requirement - you usually cannot recognize the person on them. But ID, I hope Airbnb is doing it in the same way for guests they are taking our ID as hosts?