Guests who want to stay for free

Guests who want to stay for free

Okay, this is getting tiresome, the lack of AirBnB support for hosts, but please can AirBnB just delete a whole load of profiles who don't deserve to be on the platform, or at least make government ID mandatory? I have had several now requests for free accomodation, in return for some mention on social media (x amount of followers), or for some "professional photos" of my villa, or some such service in return for a free stay. Needless to say, all were politely declined, though why I should be polite is another matter. I report the message/users etc, but hey, I figure it is of no use. Another frequent scam is guests looking to take one room, but wanting the host to leave! "To ensure total privacy". Now I have to roll around laughing. Yes you read that correctly, guests basically wanting to kick the host/owner out of their own property. LOL

32 Replies 32
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@David146

Sound to me like someone is winding you up!

regards

cormac

the explorer's club krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

errr. no. deadly serious requests, saying how many times they have done this before, stay for free, provide some sort of service like photos or social media or some such etc etc. I laugh them off, and politely decline. If you can't take my experiences seriously, then don't bother replying. thanks

@David146

Your concluding sentance explains a lot to me... 

Cormac, you are clearly someone not worth paying attention to, and best totally ignored. thank you. 

[Inappropriate content hidden]

@Lizzie admin

I can't understand why my comment of "Yawn" was deemed inapporiate, and yet the condersending comment by a person so puffed up with self importance he writes a comment as he did so full of bile and condersention.

As far as I'm concerned his comment was condersenting in the extreme and down right rude, while my original comment is at least pausable and that perhaps what raised his ire.

I thought this site was about mutual respect, apartently not as his comment was left intacked and mine hidden.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

@David146

I am sure you can explain your experiences, and respond to the volunteer hosts who are in these community forums, with a little more self control and respect. We all appreciate civility. Or just simply ignore the comments you don't like.

With regard to your listing - it is in such a stunning location that this attempt at getting a free ride is going to happen on a regular basis. It has worked for some freeloader guests and others will always try it just in case it works for them. And unfortunately Airbnb will not spend the effort to review/restrict/monitor all profile users..... the numbers are just too great and the returns are small. They leave the hosts to sift through and accept the real bookings for them.

And any genuine photographer will see that you already have fabulous photos for your listing. Just a small suggestion - Airbnb's system is set up to do the best with 'landscape' photos (that isn't what they are called but I forget what the title for taking the picture with your camera or phone set horizontal instead of upright profile) - so that is why some of your photos appear 'bigger' in the browser..... Airbnb do explain this in their photograph section - so it not doubt is explained better than I am doing here..... but I just wanted to mention it to you - as your location and photos really are stunning but are being minimised on the PC for future guests/searchers (the genuine ones that is) so some of your photos appear smaller than necessary.

Best Wishes.

actually, my 2nd guest did the same thing to me.

explaining how he was going to write me a glowing review if he could get the 50% discount hosts give to hosts.

He turned out to be as weird as the situation was. 

well, live and learn.

Wait what? I have never received any host discount anywhere I have stayed and have no knowledge of a host staying with me receiving that. Can you elaborate.

Maybe they thought airbnb is like couchsurfing 🙂 I was checking out couchsurfing in my area (just out of curiosity) and found one listing where the guest was looking for someone who was willing to host him (hosts receive no payment whatsoever for hosting a couchsurfing guest) for an entire semester. The guest wanted the couchsurfing host to provide a private room and desk so that he could study and have privacy. (WTF?)

In Korea, there's this widespread problem where bloggers with a ton of followers try to eat for free by telling the manager/owner that instead of paying they will post a great review of the place with pictures and if the manager/owner doesn't accept this, they hint that their review might not be as good as the manager/owner hopes. 

I think you handled the situations like a pro. I really wish Airbnb was more active in promoting responsiblity of guests as much as they do to hosts - like you said, I also report guests who I feel are inappropriate, but I don't think Airbnb does anything about it. I also completely agree that government IDs should be mandatory. A lot of us are opening up our homes to host guests, and guests are paying to stay at the home of a stranger. I understand no amount of screening will be perfect, but the least Airbnb can do is to at least pretend to care enough to TRY and do a better job. 

Thank you Jessica and Henry for sharing your insights and experiences. Btw, I accepted the booking enquiry (AirBnB doesnt' like straight rejections apparently, it impinges upon your reputation as a host), I politely told them they have to pay accordingly like all guests, and of course the booking enquiry expired after 24 hours. thanks again, all the best, regards, David

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David146

That's the way to handle these enquiries David. Do......not.......offer.......special.......deals!!

People who haggle never make good guests, just grant everyone of them a pre-approval, then once you have done that tell them you do not do contra deals and leave the ball in their court! If they do not book within the 24 hour pre-approval timeframe the whole thing just disappears off the system.....no penalty to you, you have done your bit. If you decline the enquiry it will ultimately have an affect on your response stats and may even get to the point where ABB will penalise you in search rankings.

I hope this helps David.....oh and just one other thing, don't be too hard on @Cormac0! He has been a great contributor on this forum for a considerable amount of time. He does have some 'left field' solutions....but then again, so do all Irishmen living in Poland 😂

Cheers.......Rob

Alex460
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I sometimes get inquiries from people who get very pissy once I tell them that I will be in the flat.  I reply by offering an increased rate to take the whole flat. They usually go away after that. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I just got a requests from someone who had NOTHING on his profile! I mean not even phone number or FB acct or anything else. Nothing! So I guess technically anyone can open an Airbnb acct with just an email address and send a request? It's crazy. I completelly agree that govnt ID SHOULD BE a requirement for opening an Airbnb acct.