Guests who who want non-smoking....AirBNB site does not make this clear enough

Milton1
Level 3
Tolmie, Australia

Guests who who want non-smoking....AirBNB site does not make this clear enough

I am currently staying in Amsterdam in a private room for a few days.

This is the first time this has happened to me after many stays around the world as well as in my home country: I made a booking not realising that this particular BnB was a "smoking allowed" place.... inside but not in the actual bedroom. But the place still reeks of course. As a non-smoker this is of course VERY offputting. The thing is, it's not really the host's fault....they did state in their listing that 'smoking only allowed in (a particular part of the house)' which I assumed wrongly was outside. In addition, I see the smoking icon now when i look closely at all the icons for this listing, but it is not nearly prominent enough. This is a design fault with the airbnb listing view.

since the issue of smoking or not can be a real bug-bear for both hosts and guests, it is very important that this is matched between the two.  The AirBNB app does not allow this to be a point of initial filtering as far as i could tell?

It also should be much more prominent somehow in the booking app that the premises are clearly SMOKING or NON-SMOKING, so that it is not ambiguous by the way the host describes their policy.

29 Replies 29
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn't assume that  David. In a lot of European countries, smoking is very much the norm still.

Total agree. What's so hard about adding to the filter list! Currently staying at a site where the owner smokes. Lesson  learned the hard way. Very surprised and unhappy  with situation. Hostess is very nice. House reeks!

I have used vrbo & home away and was wanting to use airbnb as there are definitely features I like in the app, but I do not want to get a smoking apartment as it would make me physically ill.  I'm really quite astonished that "no smoking allowed" is not an optional filter.  I don't consider the advice to email individual hosts satisfactory as that is extremely time consuming and inefficient which totally negatively impacts the entire search experience.  Is there any update on this possibility?

Peter-Daly0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I have something similar happening. I have my property listed as non smoking with the Instant Book feature. I now have 2 heavy smokers there that say they didn't know it was non smoking. They have booked for three weeks so the money concerned is an issue. This issue would be clearly so avided if it we part of the filtering system and made obvious to all involved before the confirming of the booking. I now have to choose whether to just deal with it or ask them to leave and affect my super host status and take the financial hit. That makes it uncomfortable for all. We all loose. Both the host as well as the guest. I have asked both verbally as well as via the Airb&b message service but they ccontinue to smoke.

Bose0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

This is really useful thanks ! 

Nikki53
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

I agree. Currently at an airbnb where it says smoking allowed - but host has then specified that smoking only allowed in the garden only.  However I'm sitting in my bedroom which has been closed all day, and everything stinks and my eyes are watering.   I think the host is smoking in her own downstairs room or something as the house is full of it.  Does this mean that I can't leave and have to stay the full week?

David262
Level 4
Australia

I remember getting on an island ferry in Greece a few years ago, and having to go outside because of all the smoke inside, only to find the outside was just as full of smokers, and there was no designated fresh-air area to be found anywhere! 

Once you live in a jurisdiction which basically bans smoking (in bars, restaurants, indoors, public areas, anywhere in multi-unit apartment complexes...) you get use to your smoke-free lifestyle. Then when you travel, you can disgustingly sniff it out at 100 metres...

I agree Milton, it's time to make it more accessible for non-smokers to find never-smoking places (not just smokers, to find pro-smoking places, where they still exist).

NB: pro-smoking in the EU is still very much the norm, unlike North America/Australia/New Zealand. 

Jakub15
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

I accidentally booked a Smoking Allowed room and I couldn't stand it.

I would like to set this in my profile: Don't ever show me listings with Smoking Allowed.

Jakub15
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

I've created a Chrome extension to highlight places on Airbnb where smoking is allowed: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/no-smoking-airbnb/nacjhadbbpbmfhkomndlalihcfchhfjc

Eileen55
Level 1
Seattle, WA

As a host I am going to start charging extra money to smokers who openly flout the qualifications for booking. I have checked the box that says No Smoking, AND added wording to the listing itself. I just re-upped by saying No Smokers, even if you smoke outside. 

I have spent extra money trying to get the smell of smoke out of the room/house. I had to wash all the down pillows, the pillow protectors, towels, TWICE, and run a fan for hours with Odorzout sprinkled all over the carpets, the bed, and the hallway. 

It's a good idea to ask the guest before they book, and I'll do so in the future. But I plan to take money from the security deposit to cover the costs of extra cleaning. 

Well you cn ask for money from the Security Deposit , getting it is the tricky bit.

David
Phil82
Level 4
Adelaide, Australia

Please support my post for adding a  check-box to guests and hosts pages re whether they smoke or not, so that they get matched appropriately. 

Self matching clearly isn't working.

Also keep sending messages to AirBnB support to request they add this feature.

They will get the message if we keep asking for it.

Never give up on this and it WILL happen.

Cheers,

Phil

🙂

Denton1
Level 1
Virginia Beach, VA

Could not agree more. Thinking about going back to hotels as this is a deal breaker for me with Airbnb. 

Timothy402
Level 1
New Port Richey, FL

As a new host of Dreamcatcher's in New Port Richey Florida that is attempting to only rent to non smokers  I am going to institute the use of an agreement that must be accepted by the guests prior to confirmation of booking stating that they are non smokers and that smokers are not to be permitted on the property. This may be accompanied by a fine that I have seen at other AB&B's. If this does not work out then this B&B will close. 

Timothy402
Level 1
New Port Richey, FL

As a new host of Dreamcatcher's in New Port Richey Florida that is attempting to only rent to non smokers we are going to institute the use of an agreement that must be accepted by the guests prior to confirmation of booking stating that they are non smokers and that smokers are not to be permitted on the property. This may be accompanied by a fine that I have seen at other AB&B's. If this does not work out then this B&B will close.