Guests with dogs

Angela2543
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Guests with dogs

Hi

we have not long been hosts and so far we have had lovely guests , except for the the last two families, we allow dogs , and actually state in the house rules , one small dog only , as our caravan is not big enough to accommodate big dogs ,

the last two families both turned up with  two big dogs , I was shocked and did not know hat to say they assured us they were well behaved dogs ,which in actual fact they were , but the second family not so , it’s taken us 2 days to clean the caravan of the mess and we think the dogs weed on the hallway carpet ,and also one day the family went out and left the dogs in the caravan on their own ,

the weather was so hot that day and we didn’t realise until we witnessed them returning back and the dogs running to the door to be let out , the caravan was so messy it states clearly in our listing only one dog allowed and no animals to be left on their own and also in our caravan journal ,

I want to be honest and not give these people a good review because it’s not fair if they do this to other people, but feel not supported by Airbnb over reviews in fact we are now thinking we made a mistake being with Airbnb 

14 Replies 14
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Angela2543 I looked at your listing and I only read and see dogs.....which means to me 2 is fine ...and no mention of small dog...so that is important. Most guests just glance over and look at pics maybe all of them but to expect them to read everything is maybe asking too much. Since it's small space as u say ? 6 ppl seems that'd be a big space. Anyway, all ppl will say their dog is perfect, well behaved and would never pee on anything....hahaha...I have 2 dogs and love em...but NO dogs in our cottage...one of my dogs would freak the whole time and many ppl stay here because they have allergies and know it is safe for them. Maybe because u  have roaming unleashed animals that might be a problem with some animals. I just wouldn't allow dogs! Also leaving animals in a strange place can do serious damage. When u see something that is against your house rules...say something immediately...don't wait. I would have suggested a place they can board the dogs and just say why. Good luck

Hi I’ve actually written only one small dog and not to be left alone in the caravan in three different places on our listing , six people may seem a lot but a caravan is a like a mobile home so it’s not really that big it’s quite compact ,but thankyou for the feedback I think before people book I’ll make sure they know rather than thinking they actually read everything on the listing ,thankyou 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I wouldn't allow pets in that sort of space but if you are going to allow this you need to take a pet deposit and have rules around the dog not being left at the property without the owner etc @Angela2543 

Have a photo of two suitably sized dogs in your listing photo with a caption to confirm the size.

Have guest provide you with the dog size and type on booking and have them replie to confirm they have read any house rules .

Say guests arriving with pets where they have not been booked in and the deposit hasn't been paid can lead an an immediate cancellation of their booking.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Angela2543  it’s unfortunately rare that guests will read a listing description and house rules. Add to your house rule that the dog can’t be left alone in the caravan, and that guests who defy the rule will be asked to leave.

You also need to clarify the pet rule, before you accept a booking. ie. “Are you bringing any pets and have you read our house rule regarding the pet limits?” Then if they arrive to the caravan with over the limit, you can remind them of what you discussed, and refuse the animals. Have a list of nearby kennels available. But realize that you then have a tense situation on your hands. 

Since you only allow one small dog anyway, I would recommend allowing no pets, period. Much simpler. Airbnb doesn’t support hosts when it comes to pet damage, nor do they make it easy to collect a pet fee. EVERY guest will tell you that their pet is quiet and well behaved, regardless of the truth. Why open yourself up to the hassle, cost and grief?  Just say no to pets. And never let guests who have broken your house rules run roughshod over you. 

Because of lockdown the majority of people in the uk now have dogs ; i just wanted to be fair to everyone, and we have 2 upcoming bookings that include dogs , they have assured me they only have one dog  and they are well behaved, a bit of a cliche after just reading your posts now I feel, I cannot cancel because it would be unfair on them , I don’t want to judge everyone like the last family, but sadly feel that maybe I will have to say no dogs allowed after them , thankyou for your advice it’s very much appreciated 

@Angela2543 No, definitely don't cancel. Not ok, and a host cancellation would be disastrous to you. Successful hosting on Airbnb means being proactive, using prevention tactics, and realizing that the host must always take the reins and never rely on Airbnb for anything. When I say successful, I’m referring mostly to your personal experience as an Airbnb host. It takes time for new hosts to get the lay of the land. With every tricky situation, you'll learn more and it will get easier. 

@Angela2543  If you are going to say No Pets, change your listing now, so no one else can book from today on with dogs. It won't affect the bookings you already have with dogs.

When hosts change any of their settings, it only applies to future bookings. The existing bookings are bound by the rules that were in place when they booked.

I read all through your listing info and the only place you mention one small dog only is at the very bottom of your house rules, and even then it could go unnoticed. If you want to stick with the one small dog allowed , you need to make it much more prominent, and not buried in the middle of a long paragraph.

Your listing information is actually hard to read- I would suggest you break things up into short paragraphs and try to be less wordy. Guests don't read through lengthy descriptions.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's not true @Angela2543  - I only know of one person who got a dog because they were in lockdown and don't have any problems attracting bookings from those from the UK who don't have dogs. It's only a third of our population who have dogs not the majority 🙂

I agree honour the bookings you have but change your listing to no pets going forward could be the right approach.

Yes, I agree. Maybe leave it open for people with pets to make an enquiry. We only consider dogs because we have dogs ourselves. But it's a can of worms.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Angela2543   I have one of those well-behaved dogs 😉 and do like to travel with her.  However, traveling is stressful for dogs which can result in the dog vomiting and peeing unexpectedly.  While I take responsibility for her accidents and NEVER leave her alone, allowing dogs can be hard on any space.  I realize that and admire hosts that allow pets.

I agree your listing must be very targeted about what is allowed in terms of dogs.  Coordinate pictures and descriptions that do not set up expectations for multiple large dog companions.  Follow up with a welcoming message that requires the guest to confirm understanding of dog limits.  Good luck and keep coming back to the CC to continue your education about this business and platform.

well, in our listing state no pets, but we have dogs ourselves, and welcome guests with dogs who can read between the lines.

IMHO 4 greyhounds are less work and cleaning than one cocker spaniel.  You have to trust your guests and vet potential dog stays carefully.

All dogs are equal, but some dog owners are more equal (and honest) than others.

It’s interesting reading all your different opinions and advice , and I’ve taken everything on board you’ve said . Thanks 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Angela2543 we allow dogs (and cats). Here are some ideas that we have used in the past to get more information and set boundaries with guests.

- Ask for a picture of the dog. Ask to see vaccination records. 

-State outright if you have a size (so much weight, so much height only) restriction in  your house rules

-State that all dogs must be crated if owners are away from the caravan

-Provide a dedicated receptacle for dog poo outside, bags and a scooper

-Insist that accidents be reported. They will happen and they are mostly not a big deal but it does allow your cleaners to know where to pay special attention. 

-Charge a pet fee. We don't but many hosts do. It helps to cover wear and tear,.

99% of our guests with dogs are fantastic. Every now and again we get one bad apple that ruins things. 

Suz2
Level 3
Pittsburgh, PA

We also have a NO PETS policy.  I have allergies and do not wish exposure.  That said, we had someone instant book and let us know that they were bringing a service animal with them.  My question, is there state/federal certification paperwork one could insist upon seeing prior to guest's checking in?  Just thinking folks want to bring their pets with them, no matter what.  Why would someone book a place that says NO Pets if they have an animal?  Just go somewhere where they are welcomed.