Guests

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

Guests

Hi there,

I'm a new host with Airbnb, I have a question for my elders:). I have instant book on to rent a room in my home. This morning a guest and his wife confirmed a 5-day reservation. While we were messaging back and forth he informed me that he likes to takes naps in the afternoon. My first thought was...uh oh , I'm going to have tip toe around in my own home:(. I sent back a message ( really nice) that while I am a quiet person, I do run a busy business from my home so my phone rings often and I do talk with clients all day. I have hosted about 17 different guests so far and for the most part, everything has been fine, but no one has needed to take a daily nap. I'm concerned. I was hoping he would cancel when he read my message about the business, but I haven't heard from him yet. Thoughts? 

11 Replies 11

@Sharion0 - you've let him know what to expect.  If he wants to cancel because of that, that's on him.  You might consider providing a pair of earplugs for this guest as an added precaution.  

Consider adding to your "space" description that you can typically be found in your home office and in the "Interaction with guests" section that you try to be available during the day since you work from home but sometimes phone calls and client meetings sometimes restrict your availability.     This should help any guest realize that your house is not a tomb during the day.  

Thank you so much, I will make the changes and buy ear plugs:). The " tomb" wording is really funny!

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Well @Sharion0 my feeling is this. If the guest would like to take a nap in the afternoon, this is fine. Let them. They chose the "shared property" option of AirBnB and that issue is on them. I would doubt - even if they complained to AirBnB about noise when they were trying to take a nap at 1pm - that AirBnB would take that seriously. 

I would've personally hoped that this person would've booked a stand-alone unit and not a shared room.

Also, communicate through the AirBnB msg system so their response to your response is recorded.

Thanks Jann,

My first thought was the same...why book a room in a home, there are tons of Airbnb places near my home and many offer stand alone units...but in his 1st message to me he told me he usually books in Fairfield, about an hour from my home because it's so much cheaper:), he really wrote that. I always use the message board, I've been reading the dissccussion rooms:) But I do feel lke I'm going to get a lousy review:( oh well

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Oh, also, hello from across town @Sharion0! Your house looks lovely!

Ad hello back to you, I just noticed you're in Santa Rosa:)...Would you like him? lol

Sorry @Sharion0 I can TRUTHfully say "no" - but for a good reason... my listing isn't live yet! Furniture not in place... JCPenney still has it on order! 😂 My husband says it will be soon. He's the store manager.

Well, good luck Jann, I have been really busy since I started 2 months ago. We'll see what happens in November but for now I like the extra cash:)

Well, we should keep each other in mind if we need to (in hotel parlance) "walk" a guest to another property for some unforseen reason. It's always nice to become friends w/local hosts in case you need a backup for unforseen situations.

Absolutely, let me know if you ever want to meet for coffee etc.

Regards,

Sharion

Okay, I got your number, but PLEASE edit msg and remove it so other people don't.... 

Just to be safe.