HAPPENING NOW: STRICT Airbnb regulations proposed for Charleston County

Tori-and-Seth0
Level 2
Chattanooga, TN

HAPPENING NOW: STRICT Airbnb regulations proposed for Charleston County

Hi fellow Airbnb hosts!

My name is Tori. My husband and I are Superhosts in Charleston, South Carolina. I'm reaching out because there are very strict regulations being proposed for short term rentals in Charleston County that would be crippling to us and other Airbnb hosts in the area. For example, they're proposing that the max number of nights you're allowed to rent out your place is as little as 18 days per year, unless you're zoned commercial.

County officials have kept these meetings very secretive, and I'm afraid not many hosts even know what's going on. But, if we come together and push for fair regulations that don't hurt our livelihood, I'm confident we can make a difference and sway the county to remove the cap on number of nights we're allowed to host guests.

The next meeting is going to held on December 11th at 2 pm at 4045 Bridge View Drive in North Charleston in room B-225.

If you live near Charleston County, PLEASE join me in attending this upcoming meeting! This is our ONLY chance to prevent these crippling regulations from becoming the law. If you don't live here, can  you help me by notifying other local Airbnb hosts and encouraging them to attend this next meeting? Your help is much appreciated!

Here is the Charleston County website for your reference:

Thank you,
Tori Bolt

8 Replies 8
Kimberly-Kay0
Level 2
Poulsbo, WA

The same thing is happening here in KITSAP COUNTY, WASHINGTON STATE.  (west of Seattle)  KITSAP  COUNTY deparment of community development is re-regulating AIRBNB and established, licensed B&Bs and other vacation rentals with such severe fees and regulations, that it will put most out of business.

KITSAP COUNTY is followin the SAME SECRETIVE PLAYBOOK as your county!

FIGHT BACK.

Kimberly

[Personal information hidden for safety reasons - to use the direct messaging system here in the Community Center, hover over the profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Tori and Seth,

My husband and I just started hosting in the Charleston area last fall.  We bought a house there because our only grandchildren live on James Island and they live in a house which is too small for us to stay with them.  Since there are no hotels on James Island and the closest hotels are so expensive or are fleabags, we opted to buy a small house of our own.  Then we got the idea of doing AirBnb when we were not using the house ourselves  which helps us pay for it AND provides a little money for ou daughter-in-law, the mother of those grandchildren.  She quit her job when she had the 4th child and was glad to get some extra money doing the house cleaning for our airbnb stays and acting as our property manager when we are not in town.  Doing AirBnb has made it financially feasible for us to spend more time with our grandchildren and to help put more money into their own household but, because we are not full time residents of the house, we are not going to be able to get a license to operate a STR in Charleston.  I just found your old post on here while looking for other hosts in the Charleston area who want to fight the County regulations as they presently stand.  Do you have any desire to work on that or do you know anyone who does?  I will check here regularly for responses .

Thanks,

Hi @Natalie263, thank you for your message! Yes, our assistant Danielle is helping rally the troops of local hosts. She has been attending the county decision-making meetings and informing other hosts about the meeting time and place so we can speak up. What is your email address?? I am happy to connect you directly. Thank you for your participation in these efforts! 🙂

@Tori-and-Seth0I'd like to join this email list - my email is [email hidden for safety reasons].  I'm a host on the peninsula, too!

Thanks @Michelle849, this is great to hear! Together we can make our voices heard and hopefully make a difference with these proposed laws. Our assistant and friend, Danielle, will reach out to you via email before the next meeting.

Thank you, we will!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Just mentioning in @Tori-and-Seth0, so they get notified about your reply @Natalie263

[Top tip: add @ symbol and select the person you are addressing from the dropdown. They will then receive a notification email to their personal email and their Community Profile]

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I see this is frome 2017. Are you guys still fighting? I heard they are going after charleston county now as well.