HELP - Cease and Desist Order!

Diane9
Level 2
Holland, MI

HELP - Cease and Desist Order!

I have a lovely AirBNB home that is about 2 blocks from my house that I purchased in December.  This is my first experience as a host, and I am excited to be welcoming people from all over the country in the coming year.  My summer is very nearly booked!

When I purchased the home I looked for ordinances, asked my city council member and got the go ahead. 

I recently received a letter from my city council to "cease and desist" the short-term rental.  We live in a tourist town, and have at least 50 vacation rentals in the city limits and on the lake.  It has always flown "under the radar."  However, the zoning board is cracking down on "short-term rentals" - mainly because they don't want "slum landlords" creating "flophouses" in the city limits.  We went to a city Neighborhood Association meeting yesterday and this is truly their stumbling block.  We don't live in a community that has a housing shortage, and our hotels have not complained.

Has anyone else had this issue?  Does anyone know of a community that amended their zoning to legalize vacation rentals, while still making short-term rentals of unfurnished homes illegal?  We have a city council meeting in two weeks and need to be prepared.

Thanks for any information you can share!!!

1 Reply 1
Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

You should seek legal advice on the letter.

Here is a Dutch article from yesterday.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/02/amsterdam-to-spend-e1m-on-illegal-airbnb-clampdown/

Goodluck!