HELP! Guests aren't closing the house up!

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

HELP! Guests aren't closing the house up!

Has anyone else had this problem?  How did you resolve it?   We rent a room in our apartment and the room has it's own terrace.  Since we're on the first floor and the terrace faces into a commons area below of another building, I always tell the guests to please make sure to close the windows/doors of the room before they go out to prevent anyone coming into the home when we're not here.  Common sense, right?  You would think!  But no!  They are CONSTANTLY leaving the doors open to the terrace and exposing the house.  I have tried leaving notes, but most of our guests are non-English speakers.  I thought about leaving a note on the door for every guest in their native language.  Nothing is working!  It's gotten to the point where before I leave the house, I have to go upstairs into their room and do a security check - which is REALLY something I don't want to do.  I'm completely fed up!  How do I get guests to respect these rules and close up the house when they leave??

7 Replies 7
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lisa367 That is bad!!

here we can get self-closing hinges that would auto close the door unless it was propped open. But that doesn't get it locked. 

You could also buy an exterior camera that would show you it was closed (but again maybe not locked).

i would consider telling them that their stay would be cancelled & them removed if they violate this rule. They expose not just themselves but the entirety of your space to ruin when they do this. Very serious!

but keep in mind you WILL NOT BE PAID for any of their remaining reservation if you remove them. Even if you have justified cause to do so. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lisa367

Self closing hinges and an automatic coded lock.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Marit Anne has the best suggestion.   A door handle that automatically shuts may solve your problem.

Do not be too hard on your clueless guests. 

The pleasant, bug-free Mediterranean air is a reason many people visit you. I too would have the patio door open.

While I'd hope I would close it upon leaving, I know at my home, I leave my patio doors open when I leave. So I'm not wired to close/lock everything upon leaving. Your guests may not be disrespecting you, but showing you how comfortable they feel at your house.

Think of your vigilance as a marketing cost that comes from your desirable pleasant ambience.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

A well told story (lie) might help drive the point home.

Obviously, you don't want to instill fear into your guests (murderer on the loose... ).

Consider varmits.

"I'm concerned about your belongings. The squirreles here a terrible pests. They'll come in, go through your purse, rip up the bed and chew through your luggage. So sorry, but it's best if your lock up your room when you leave"

Make your story a part of the experience. Over-exaggerate, be dramatic. Operatic.

Your guests will roll their eyes with incredulity, But you will have made your point and they'll remember a little better

I wouldn't be able to do self closing/locking doors because if they propped the doors/windows open anyway, it wouldn't make a difference.  That's exactly what they'll do, too.  I might just have to tell guests that the downstairs neighbor hires prostitutes that come around at all hours demanding money - which is totally true.  I didn't want to make the building sound unsafe, but you're right, I might have to.  I cannot believe how anyone can be so stupid as to leave first floor doors and windows open and then just leave the house.  Its so disrepectful!

@Lisa367 just tell them that your previous guests have left the door open last week and get robbed

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

To add to this old thread, I am constantly learning as a host, including dealing with rules.

Just when I thought I'd fine-tuned my rules perfectly, I just had a group of guests leave a window open with a fan blowing cold, 9 degrees F air into my cabin. Thankfully the cleaners got there before the heat ran too long and/or the pipes froze.

Even though I had already had a line in my rules reading, "Please check and secure all windows and doors," I have just added another line to my rules in several places asking guests to, "Please CLOSE ALL WINDOWS" and once again reminded myself there is always room for improvement!