HELP!! How do I set the maximum number of guests?

Loren4
Level 2
Tasmania, Australia

HELP!! How do I set the maximum number of guests?

Hi all, can someone please help me to set the maximum number of guests that we can have staying at any given time?  We have the listing as "accommodates 6" - but I have just had a booking come through for 6 guests plus 3 infants.  Given this property is the upper floor of a two storey dwelling the noise creating by 9 (with 3 infants and 3 other children) will be ridiculous, one of our house rules is to keep noise to a reasonable and respectful level given there are permanent residence in the lower level.  I am loath to the cancel the bookng which simply damages our reputation, I feel that if the house accomodates 6 then the booking should not exceed this.  Thanks so much to anyone that is able to help 🙂

7 Replies 7
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Loren4,

This is part of Airbnb's new policy that, for some reason does not consider infants as human.  Technically, people can bring up to five infants without counting them (or paying for them)!  If you have put in your listing that you can not accomodate infants, you can call the company and have them cancel, and you will not be penalized.  Don't cancel yourself though.  Even if your listing says you can not accomodate infants, it is a rigamarole to undo the penalty. Better to just avoid it in the first place.

Many people feel strongly about this policy, and that a person is a person, and should count as such.  I have made a posting on Host Voice, where people can pitch ideas directly to the company. If enough people like or comment, it will be flagged for review by the company.  A few ideas have been implemented this way, and it is always worth a try.

Here is a link to my posting:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/New-Infant-policy-Babies-are-people-too-and-lots-of-e...  

If you agree, please give a thumbs up.  BTW,  there are many threads in a variety of places regarding this.  Not a very popular idea.  I personally, am happy to take infants.  I just feel like they are people, and need to be treated as such (and part of that is being counted in the number of people).

Indie0
Level 2
Uzès, France

Hi!

We have set our maximum number of guests at 6.

We have written in our profile that any extra guests will be charged an extra US60 per night.

Our villa provides complimentary breakfasts and is staffed 24 hours a day so there are some additional expenses involved.

Recently we have had 2 requests for 7 guests to stay and we agreed.

On both occassions the guests said they were unable to type 5 children, 2 adults in the reservation inquiry form which would only allow them to type 4 children, 2 adults.

Both guests have stated there are 5 children, 2 adults but did not come back to us about the reduced fee for 6 guests instead of 7 guests.

I amended both bookings to read 2 adults, 5 children and have asked them to let me know if they are OK with this.

I'm comfortable with the action I have taken but of course concerned they wont see it this way.

I'd appreciate any feedback, comments.

Many thanks.

Diane

Jim523
Level 1
Denver, CO

How do I change the limit for guests in general? We are renting a spare bedroom and want to limit to 1 guest. How do I do that?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jim523 

Hi Jim, to set the number of guests that you will allow in your listing description proceed as follows!

1/. Log on  and in the scroll line slide across to and click, 'Host'

2/.  From the options select 'Listing' and the first item which will be 'Listing Details'

3/. Scroll down to the second item which will be titled, 'Rooms & Guests'

4/. Click Edit and under the sub heading 'Accommodates' put in the maximum number of guests you which your listing to accept.

Here is a screenshot of what you should see at step 4....

No of guests.png

Remember to click Save changes before you leave this page!

All the best Jim.

Cheers.....Rob

Marybeth9
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hi -- I have the "Accommodates" number completed as 4 and a guest was just able to book 5 (none are infants).  I think this may be because I do not have Instant Book enabled and I really don't want to enable it for other calendar sync reasons and also because I 'm not certain that enable it really will limit the number of guests.  Can any one confirm that it does/will?

Connie242
Level 1
Drumheller, Canada

I'm a brand new host and I have the same type of question. Already I have 2 bookings where they say 1 guest, but they send me questions like "WE are wondering how many grocery stores there are". Because I'm new, I'm leaving the pricing to Airbnb, but I do not know if  the guest would have paid more if they had said 2 guests.

Kelly-Ann0
Level 1
Milton, Canada

This has been a big challenge for me as well.  I have had multiple occurrences of people booking and paying for a certain number of guest and showing up with more.  Although you can adjust the ACCOMMODATES number there is still a section under PRICING and then STANDARD FEES and CHARGES for guests over 6 and there does not seem to be anywhere to indicate that you can not accommodate more than 6 guests.  Until I can get resolution I have just made the fee person extra person per night very high in an effort to deter people from booking large groups.

IF there is a better way I'd love to know about it.