HELP! Messy Current Guests

Roxolana0
Level 1
Chicago, IL

HELP! Messy Current Guests

I have a long-term stay home and have 6 private rooms booked out right now. My most recent guests are EXTREMELY messy, lets call them "messy guests". "Messy Guest" leaves the sink full of dishes, doesn't clean up their food and plate off the dining table. I have received MULTIPLE complaints about them from my other guests and 2 even would like to extend their stay only if "messy guest" leaves. "Messy Guest" has booked a room til Aug 1st and I dont know how to approach the situation. I have already sent a reminder to all my guests to clean up after themselves and "messy guest" replied saying that they always clean up after themselves..... lie... I dont want to get a bad review since this is only my second third month of hosting and would like to become a super host. Is it appropriate to text them and let them know I am aware it is their mess and that they must clean up their stuff by tomorrow or I will have to get in contact with AirBnB? I do not want to sound harsh or rude. Any advice?

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Roxolana0  I never quite understand when hosts say they don't know how to approach such a situation. You don't want to come across as being harsh or rude, but this guest is being totally rude, disrespectful of you and the other tenants, and on top of it all, either lying about it, or is completely delusional.

Just be straightforward- "XX- you will need to wash all of your dishes and pots and pans after a meal, as well as clear the table after you eat. If you cannot show basic respect to me and the other guests here, I'm sorry to say that the rest of your booking will have to terminated.."

You're worried about his review? How about 5 bad reviews from the other guests who are having to live with this?

There is no way I would put up with this guest until August. I would boot them out ASAP.

I'm sorry if I'm not being gentle here, I realize you're new to this, but if you let a guest walk all over you and jeopardize your situation with your other guests, then trying to rent out 6 rooms to unrelated people isn't going to go well for you. 

Achieving Superhost, first of all, isn't something to stress about, it's really not that important, and it's about handling things in a no-nonsense, professional manner, not about tiptoeing around bad guests to avoid bad reviews.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Roxolana0 you can certainly tell someone that they are not meeting standards without being harsh or rude, simply factual. Now how MG takes this news is not something you can control.

1. How exactly are you CERTAIN this is their mess?

2. No beating around the bush -- 6 people live here, every single one of you must clean up after yourself EVERY TIME, this is the very last time I will be having this conversation with you, you may either continue to live here under the set conditions OR you may go elsewhere, this mess will not continue. And at this point you will need VERY detailed instructions of what counts for "clean" bc people have wildly varying standards.

btw, please know that if either of you decides to shorten MG's stay for any reason then you will not get paid for any of the days that they don't stay and if you've already been paid then ABB will expect that money back. Be careful, bc refund adjustments can sometimes do funky things with the money amounts...

also, I hope you're sending in someone on a regular basis to actually clean up after these people... if you added $x/night to all 6 rooms could you then add on a weekly/bi-weekly cleaner for the kitchen & baths... that might save your reviews

and PPS I only looked at the King room listing but it's much too bare... doesn't say that they could be sharing the house with 6++ strangers, doesn't say that they must clean up after themselves, I think you need a lot more info than what you currently have

Good luck!