HOSTS, SUPER HOSTS, BEWARE!! AIRBNB WILL NOT HAVE YOUR BACK IF A GUEST DESTROYS YOUR HOME!!!!

Samuel145
Level 4
Fort Lauderdale, FL

HOSTS, SUPER HOSTS, BEWARE!! AIRBNB WILL NOT HAVE YOUR BACK IF A GUEST DESTROYS YOUR HOME!!!!

Hey guys, I am getting on here (the community forums) to warn all of my fellow hosts NOT to depend on AirBnB every paying you, or getting your guest to pay you, for ANY damage they cause, or losses you incur as a result of hosting someone. I recently had an absolute NIGHTMARE experince with a guest, which was the second worst experience I've had since I started hosting a year ago, but second only to the way in which AirBnB has handled the situation. I followed ALL of the procedures and rules, submitted the receipts and estimates for the damaged items and furnishings, and although AirBnB was in constant communication with me throughout the process, as soon as I submitted the documentation for payment, THEY'VE COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED ON ME!! I mean I can't even get them to answer an email about my situation! It's terrible. And I'm a SUPER HOST!!! I have literally never received a review that was less than 5 stars, in ANY category, EVER!! And continue to perform at that level for this ungrateful company, who btw was supposed to and has always assured me that my homes, the homes that i've invested tens of thousands of dollars in renovating and maintaining just to make AirBnB look so good, would be insured against exactly such an event. THINK AGAIN HOSTS!! AIRBNB DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU WHATSOEVER!! They've completely turned their backs on me. I've made countless attempts, after submitting the receipts and invoices, to contact them by phone at the number provided to super hosts, and they either tell me "someone will reach back out to you from the resolutions department within the next 24 hours", OR, "sorry, that's a differnt department that cannot be reached by phone so you need to send them an email". AGAIN!! And as I've mentioned, I've sent no less than 20 by now. ALL OF WHICH HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY IGNORED! Mind you i'm not talking about a few hundred dollars in damage here either. Not that I wouldn't want that paid for just the same. But the damage caused by this guest was so severe, the general contractors alone have quoted me anywhere from $6,000 to $10,000 to make the necessary repairs! Money I already spent to have all of this work done to the unit when I did the original renovations. It is also worth noting that I documented everything very carefully with pictures, detailed emails, messages to and from the guests (using the AirBnB messaging system, very important for you hosts to know, ALWAYS document your dialog with guests thru the app or website messenger) both during and after the guest's stay, but none of that seems to matter anymore. As soon as I submitted the required evidence of damage, and  more importantly the costs necessary to remedy the issue, AirBnB completely deserted me. It's absolutely abhorent that a company this large, who I've made so much money for in just the past year, not to mention surely helped grow their customer base given my stellar reviews (literally 100% 5 star reviews across the board for all of my listings, feel free to check), would outright ignore a host and essentially flip the bird to me when I've incurred thousands of dollars in losses as a result of one of THEIR guests they sent to stay in my home. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS! 

51 Replies 51

@Samuel145 - yes, this sucks.  Communication is the biggest weakness of Airbnb.  In the meantime, file with our homeowners insurance. They should work on your behalf to have Airbnb pay for your deductable as well as any other fees.   

Thanks guys, I've already hired an attorney and he's preparing a law suit against AirBnB regarding this matter. They ignored the wrong guy. I don't just go away. Appreciate the suggestions tho friends. Thanks again. 

@Samuel145 - Good luck!  Certainly Airbnb needs to be more transparent in their dealings with hosts.   

BTW, you are bound to an arbitration clause using Airbnb and their platform so hopefully your lawyer is aware of this.  

Samuel,

The same happened to me. The damage is not as big, the guest just stole an expensive item from me and broke an expensive teacup set.

Airbnb COMPLETELY STOP all COMMUNICATION with me once I provided all the required documentation!!!

How can I sue Airbnb in NYC? I appreciate any help and advice. 

I am ready to join your claim if that help.

I wish I knew Liz. It is painful obvious this is a systemic problem amongst the AirBnB community and our only hope is to get the word out to as many people in as many places as possible. You might start by calling your local news station.  

I am a newbie. Just listed my personal home and have just two reservations. Based on your comments I am seriously considering blocking out the rest of the dates and ending my use of abb. 

That's sooooo awfully unfair!

wow! I just read every word of your shared legal dispute of total chaos of victimization and or victimized innocence by its suspicion addressee of dispute a.k.a. "Airbnb"!

Whoa! And I just registered myself in the mixed too! Whoever the guest(s) are, you need to slap that perpetrator guest(s) with law suits follow ups too!

Conduct sufficient evidence with an attorney hired investigator along with solo interrogatories analysis damages etc, my brothaaaa!

Hello Samuel 145;

What was the resolution of your lawsuit? I ask because I am Pro Se and have just entered formal Arbitration on my Claim for $50,000.00 in damages caused to my home, personal property and loss of income for my home share business.

@Samuel145  What was the result of your suit?

@Samuel145

Have you considered Arbitration?

David

I would consider anything that helps me get a resolution to this matter. But attorneys are expensive. I’m sure arbitration is as well, both financially and time consuming. It’d Be great if AirBnB just held up their end of the bargain and paid even a PARTIAL amount of my claim for god sakes! They won’t even respond to my emails! It’s disgusting. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Have you used Twitter @Samuel145 people say they get a better response.

Airbnb seems to have dedicated staff who monitor their Twitter feeds and you usually hear back from them within 5-10 minutes of posting the isssue.

Step 1: Log into Twitter

Step 2: Search for @Airbnbhelp and choose "Follow" them.

Step 3: Send a Direct Message (DM) explaining your issue and wait for their response.  They may ask for information such as your listing but always provide it over DM so it is not public.

Or put it on the airbnb Facebook page to get their attention.

Hey thats great info Jeff! Thank you so much! I'll def try this. I dont really have a lot of familiarity with Twitter but I'll figure it out. Def appreciate the idea tho! 

Samuel

FIRST, Hire a highly skilled prominent professional investigator to locate Airbnb headquarters.

SECOND, maintain beholding all receipts of recorded transactions of hired pros of legitimate sufficient supportive authorities etc.

THIRD, request higher superior assessment assistance through and or by informally and formally contacting Washington DC's inspectors and councilmen of immediate observance surveillance law enforcements superior authority actions.

FOURTH, contact a prominent well over experienced media author and or anchors etc with Facebook etc standard follow up legitimate notoriety actions wholly.

FIFTH, back up all your rights with witnesses dizygotic yo your inquiries and damages etc, etc, etceteras as GROUP of INNOCENCE.