HOW TO BLOCK!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

HOW TO BLOCK!

After a protracted back-and-forth with CS, I think I have learned the secret to reliably uncovering the guest blocking feature!

1) Do it from Google Chrome

2) Do it from the message thread with the guest you want to block, NOT their profile

3) Report as "They're being offensive" -> "They're being abusive or hostile" [For "describe the situation" be sure to clarify that they are not (if they are not) but that you just want to block them.]

40 Replies 40

No. I get to the ‘describe the situation’ point, describe it, click ‘next’ and an error message pops up. This happens on the website and when I use the app. If I try ‘something else’ this happens also. The whole feature seems broken.

I’ve complained to Airbnb about it not working and now it does so yay! I’ll block away now : )

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Christopher-and-Elisa0  thanks for letting us know the issue is resolved!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie the issue is not really resolved since you have to spuriously report someone as "abusive or hostile" in order to block them from booking for any reason. All I can conclude is that Airbnb doesn't really do anything with such reports...

Francisca16
Level 5
New York, NY

At least, now I learned that I could block some bad guests. Thanks a lot.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I've never had to block a guest, but it's bad that the choices for doing so are only limited to what Airbnb, in their limited imagination, can conceive of as reasons to block. There should be an "other" option with a drop down box to type your reason.

Joe527
Level 3
Las Vegas, NV

Hi.  When i am on Chrome and looking at the message thread, I don't see a Report this Person.. I can click the link to their profile and proceed though.  Are you sure it has to be done from the message thread and, am i missing something- they way to report form messages??  Thanks!

@Joe527 

Using Chrome and in Message thread.. I see at the left side bottom this:

Email guest
**************@guest.airbnb.com
Send or request money
Change or cancel reservation
Report user
Help

Regards
Per Java

Thank you!  I see it now.  So I guess that is better than Reporting them form their profile for some reason.  I will do that from now on.  

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Joe527 @Teresita-Java0 @Sarah977 @Janice146 @Francisca16 

As of today the "block" option has disappeared again.

Airbhb CS chat said you have to call CS and have them block for you. Phone CS said that's not true, that reporting a person automatically blocks them.

Who knows...

@Lisa723  Thanks for update. I've never had to block a guest, but I appreciate knowing the status of how it's done (or not possible) in case I ever do.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Dear all, I tried this today, followed all steps and the final "Do you wish to also Block this guest?" Did not come up... so sad

@Kelly149 according to CS the guest will be blocked regardless. As usual, no way to know whether that's accurate.

@Lisa723 @Kelly149 

You will know if the block is successful (I believe) if the message field disappears. Last time I blocked a guest (following Lisa's steps) I lost the ability to send a message. So the guest called me screaming instead, haha

@Emilia42 @Lisa723 well, then I can most assuredly say that this guest isn't blocked.

sad, sad, sad face...