Halloween policy problem

Answered!
Ellie96
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Halloween policy problem

Has anyone had trouble with potential guests trying to book over the Halloween weekend?

I totally understand trying to prevent parties, but I have had a 2-night minimum for a long time and now a guest is trying to book the two nights over the weekend and Airbnb is still telling her that she can’t.

The majority of my bookings are from local people right now who just need to get out of the house so I don’t want to lose a booking just because it happens to be Halloween weekend. 

1 Best Answer

@Ellie96 Again, all the (so called) red flags have to be lined up for the algorithm to catch and prevent certain bookings. Though sometimes the system makes errors as well. They must all be there for this one, but haven’t been for your previous bookings. 

This booking may turn out to be just fine, or it may be a bullet you want to dodge. No perfect way to know. You can just walk away from this guest and politely explain that unfortunately your hands are tied. Then someone else can come along and book the space. 

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Ellie96  Yes, Airbnb aka 'just a listing platform' steps in all over the place once again, telling hosts what we can and can't do with our calendars and bookings. The problem in your case is no doubt due to the guest being 'local'. There are ways around this one if you are confident in the booking.

Hello, my host Vincent (who is a Super Host) has been trying to help me for the last few days with booking for the weekend. He has granted me several approvals, but when I try them they run through the Payment process and gives me the same message about being unable to book and to choose another listing. 

Do you have a solution to this issue with your guest?

Thanks, 

Monique

@Monique846 if your host was naughty and wanted  to work the system he could change the listing to a private room, allow you to book and then switch back to whole house. This would get around the Airbnb rules and so is probably against the rules.

@Monique846 You (and your prospective host) should not try to get around any booking blocks you encounter, as you run the risk of having your account terminated over it. I've seen it happen first hand. I suggest you try to find another place you can book easily and it that doesn't happen, make other plans for the weekend.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Is the guest under 25?

I don't think so. She said she was 40 but I have no way of verifying that since Airbnb doesn't show us that much information about potential guests.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Ellie96  Could you have the guest book for four or five nights, then shorten the reservation on your side?

Ellie96
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Update: I reached out to Airbnb support to try and help, they told me that she had to contact them herself. She came back and said that Airbnb is not allowing any bookings entire home rentals at all that weekend. Is this true??

@Ellie96 Airbnb CS reps are outsourced and know nothing. They are banning one night bookings over that weekend in the US and Canada. There is always a general ban on bookings of whole home rentals for certain guests, generally those who are local to you, under 25, and booking short or somewhat short notice. There is an algorithm that detects these bookings and automatically blocks them. Again, there are ways to get around that, but you want to be confident in the booking to do it.

I've never had a problem with local guests booking, which is a lot of my bookings in the current travel situation. It's making me a little nervous that Airbnb isn't allowing this booking and I don't have enough information to know why they're not allowing it. 

@Ellie96 Again, all the (so called) red flags have to be lined up for the algorithm to catch and prevent certain bookings. Though sometimes the system makes errors as well. They must all be there for this one, but haven’t been for your previous bookings. 

This booking may turn out to be just fine, or it may be a bullet you want to dodge. No perfect way to know. You can just walk away from this guest and politely explain that unfortunately your hands are tied. Then someone else can come along and book the space. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ellie96 if you want to host this guest change your listing to private room and then get the guest to book then switch it back to whole home.

A bit naughty and you do need to be 100% certain that the guest will be OK!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We just block our place for Halloween and use it ourselves, so I don't know if it is happening in my area. But I do have a friend in Philadelphia who hosts her apartment and she was able to rent it out for Halloween weekend. Its an entire place. Maybe the guest has a flag of some sort?

Olivia516
Level 2
Pomona, CA

I just ran into this to this problem- they’re cracking down on parties by amping up their restrictions. The guest that was hoping to book my entire home inquired for 1 guest and 12 guests - both attempts failed. She wanted to stay for two nights. I’m disappointed I won’t be renting out my home that weekend.

Also, there isn’t any refund/credit relief to any bookings that might have occurred. Single night advanced bookings are reimbursed for cancellation. 

“As Halloween approaches, we’ll also deploy more stringent restrictions on two- and three-night reservations that may pose heightened risk for parties.