Halloween policy problem

Answered!
Ellie96
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Halloween policy problem

Has anyone had trouble with potential guests trying to book over the Halloween weekend?

I totally understand trying to prevent parties, but I have had a 2-night minimum for a long time and now a guest is trying to book the two nights over the weekend and Airbnb is still telling her that she can’t.

The majority of my bookings are from local people right now who just need to get out of the house so I don’t want to lose a booking just because it happens to be Halloween weekend. 

1 Best Answer

@Ellie96 Again, all the (so called) red flags have to be lined up for the algorithm to catch and prevent certain bookings. Though sometimes the system makes errors as well. They must all be there for this one, but haven’t been for your previous bookings. 

This booking may turn out to be just fine, or it may be a bullet you want to dodge. No perfect way to know. You can just walk away from this guest and politely explain that unfortunately your hands are tied. Then someone else can come along and book the space. 

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Dylan-and-Lizette0
Level 5
Scottsdale, AZ

This is complete and utter crap. I have had the same issue, even with people that wanted to book 3-4 nights through the weekend. Airbnb once again pulling money out of the pockets of hosts for BS reasons. On the chat with Airbnb rep right now and this is what they have to say...

These types of acts are completely overstepping the boundaries for what they say they are "just a booking platform" What recourse is there?

**[Private conversation with CS removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

If you want the booking - And are confident they are not party goers in terms of the vetting you have carried out with these guests - can you not filter it through to another platform you use? @Dylan-and-Lizette0 

Ellie96
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

There’s definitely something fishy going on here. I also had someone try to book during this week, not one of those two days listed, and she was blocked from booking. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It’s not anything fishy @Ellie96 .

Airbnb notified US and Canadian hosts a few weeks back it was blocking one night bookings made for one night on the Friday or Saturday to help prevent Airbnb’s being used for parties. 

This other guest was trying to book a Wednesday and Thursday night...that’s why I’m really confused now

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ellie96 Try having the guests change their location within their profile settings. Airbnb is definitely preventing "locals" from booking private spaces. I had a local student book over Halloween but because her profile (or maybe government ID) listed her home state her booking got through. 

Sandra1401
Level 2
Port Orange, FL

Yes, I had one guest trying to book a one room Nov 5th two days out and was blocked. She was flagged as Party risk! One person! 7 days after halloween!  One bedroom with one bed! Totally unacceptable and when I called they said they cant over ride the system. Their new  platform and new policies are not realistic, this has cut into my rentals down to 0. Airbnb has over exceeded their boundaries.

Kathleen281
Level 2
Austin, TX

I am also upset about this. I'd been negotiating with someone who lives nearby for that weekend and they were blocked. When I called Super Host help I was told that no matter how badly I wanted to rent to them,  there was no way to rescind the block. I believe this is arbitrary and unreasonable. Now my potential guest is put-off by AirBnB and it's likely my place will sit empty. If this is an on-going policy for every holiday weekend, it could be a deal-breaker.

Either Air is blocking those dates like they did throughout all of last year, or they think there is something wrong with the guest (not ID verified or CC payment issue). 

We do not allow Air to refuse a Guest for nothing more "a stay happens to include Halloween".  Or any other holiday.  It is our place and our decision. 

Have the guest book some other date with you, well past your cancellation policy.  Now you can see who they are and if you like them as guests.  You also have their contact info and can make arrangements as you see fit for the dates that they want.