Happy Memorial Day

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Happy Memorial Day

Hello all, I just wanted to wish everyone that celebrates it a happy Memorial Day.  For those that haven't heard of it, this is a United States National holiday for honoring and mourning the military personnel who have died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. What is usually a day of parades, picnics and  the kickoff of the travel season in the US is for the first time in my memory going the way of Covid 19 effects, just skip it this year.   I know its a USA celebration today but I'm guessing all nations bow their heads to remember their brave Warriors sacrifices, please take a few moments to honor them to those around you, in texts and emails.  We must never forget that without them, we would not have the ways of life we have.  God bless those that gave all,  and the families they died to protect.  Stay well, JR

download.jpg

8 Replies 8
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

We have the equivalent on November 11th for Remembrance day. So important, thanks for sharing @Melodie-And-John0 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

In the U.S. November 11 is Veteran's Day, for the living military veterans. Memorial Day was originally for those who died in battle, but now also honors any deceased veteran. And, honestly, those who still take time to visit cemeteries take flowers and things to all grave sites. Visiting graves seems to be something the upcoming generations don't do much of. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing this @Melodie-And-John0   Very important taking the time to appreciate the sacrifices of others so we can enjoy our rights and freedom today.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

My Grandfather's Brother.My Grandfather's Brother.

This is my grandfather's brother. I did not know about him until about three years ago. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Robin129 , all gave some, some gave all.  Each generation must be willing to serve a cause higher than themselves and pay it forward for the next, this is our destiny and honor, this we shall Defend!   Stay well, JR

Thanks for the post @Melodie-And-John0 

S.Korea's Memorial Day will be coming soon...... June 6th. My dad was 2yrs old when the Korean War began and my mom was born during the war, so they grew up during the post-war period. In the world we live in..... it's easy for many Koreans to forget that technically....... the two Koreas are still at war. 

https://www.officeholidays.com/holidays/south-korea/south-korea-memorial-day

screenshot of the linkscreenshot of the link

I'm not a fan of organized day tours...... but I do recommend to all guests who stay with us to go on the DMZ day tour. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0, The Korean war is the longest in our history and I unfortunately dont see that end in sight yet.  I know many vets that served during the active period and after.  There are fewer and fewer people that know much about it and our schools don't teach more than 5 minutes in 5 years about it or other more recent wars even.  They hear more about Romans/ Greeks and mythical gods 6000 years ago than the wars their grandparents fought and some died for. 

I have had friends that have trained with the ROKA and they say South Korea's Service members are the best of the best, bravest of the brave and stronger than strong.  They have also told me about the DMZ , (thats the reason your forces and ours serving there must be so exceptional) it should be called a reawakening not a tour.  Almost exactly like looking across the Hoff border between Czechoslovakia and W Germany back in 1980, you could tell just by looking the walls, razor ribbon, machine guns, dogs and mines  were not there to keep us out (we didn't actually want to go there!!!!), it was to keep them in at any cost including death brought on by their own leaders and followers not ours.  People risked their lives and limbs to cross that 1 K zone and that bloody wall in Berlin daily, many lost their lives and even family members back home were persecuted for their attempt to flee or success doing so. 

We must never forget, the only thing worse is to not teach the coming generation "Why we Fight", otherwise its just dead patriots on these days of Memorials and BBQ.  Thank you so much for bringing up your remembrance's and thoughts.    Stay well Jessica, JR 

@Melodie-And-John0 

Sad to say..... even within Korea, there isn't much emphasis on teaching young children our own history. History was never a preferred subject of mine..... but like you said, there are things we must never forget. 

For those who are interested in reading a bit about DMZ, here's a link.