Happy to meet wonderful guests..... so sad to see them go

Happy to meet wonderful guests..... so sad to see them go

My 2nd guest just checked out, to head to the airport to go back home.

I'm happy and grateful to have met her and glad that she enjoyed her stay with us as much as we enjoyed hosting her... at the same time.... so sad to see her go!!!! Of course, it was exactly the same with our 1st guest~!

I'm having a quiet sentimental moment right now................ goodbyes are hard!

6 Replies 6
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

I don't look forward to this part of hosting. I don't know how people like @Huma0 & @farah handle it with the number of guests they deal with annually!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica-and-Henry0 @Jann3 the hardest for me was saying goodbye to my long-term guests. One of my first guests here stayed for 3.5 months and then I had another for 4 months. Both became friends. Together, we enjoyed Sunday nights in front of the TV, Christmas dinner, hosting a BBQ, going to the movies, or out for drinks.

Both times when they left it was very sad for me. I had got so used to catching up with them after a day at work and making fun of their cooking! I've kept in touch with both and one has already visited me again.

I would have been happy for either to stay on as a long-term housemate, but alas, their plans didn't include settling down in London.

@Huma0 @Jann3

I know what you mean!! Both my 1st and 2nd guests were long term, 4 months and 5 wks respectively, both for study abroad programs at local universities. Chatting over coffee or dinner on weekends became a part of our everyday life. I miss them both so much!!!!

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I have my next long termer (one month) coming to stay in a couple of weeks. She is very young, but seems lovely, so fingers crossed, it will be another positive experience. So many hosts on here refuse to take long term guests and think they are a nightmare, but my limited experience has been the opposite. I think you just have to screen them a bit more than shorter term guests.

@Huma0

Totally agree!!! All my guests to date were long term. I have 2 upcoming reservations which are also long term. I actually like having guests stay a month or more, rather than people  "passing by" for just a couple nights.

I've found that guests are also much more picky about finding a place to stay for more than a month so we both "screen" each other more thoroughly 🙂 to make sure we are a good fit.  

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I was lucky enough to meet my first long-term guest in person because he was based in the UK and able to visit London beforehand. The second one was abroad, but we did an hour long Skype and I felt very happy after that to have him stay a few months. I haven't done this with the next long-term guest because she is only staying a month as opposed to three or four. I hope I haven't gotten complacent, but she seemed very nice in her correspondence and confirmed she agreed to the house rules without being prompted...