Has Anyone Noticed different Names in Reviews?

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Has Anyone Noticed different Names in Reviews?

Here’s the scenario ( forgive the old movie reference). Review of a guest says Bob and Carol were fabulous guests etc.  next review says Bob and Alice are great guests etc. now I get it, maybe Bob has a new partner. Third review says Ted and Alice were great guests etc. 

Is this a thing that friends let other friends make reservations on each other’s account? 

What am I missing?

17 Replies 17
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I haven't noticed that, but we've had a few inquiries that were ultimately declined or the guest vanished because they weren't comfortable with the (inquisitive) reply for some reason, only to receive a nearly identical inquiry only a few days later, under a different account, but modified slightly, presumably to avoid any objections we may have had with the first one. 

It's surprising to me how some assume you're either too daft or too desperate to notice things like that.

It also begs the question of how many guests have multiple accounts, to avoid booking "problems".

@Elaine701Many, I'm sure. I had one local guest who contacted me from three seperate accounts. It should be simple to weed these accounts out. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Basha0 Yes, it does happen, particularly with kids making reservations for their parents or grandparents: I see a lot of those types of requests, usually related to them visiting their kids or attending weddings.

However, it's not allowed by Airbnb, so I would ask the guest about it to make sure that the bookers will actually be your guests. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Basha0 I have seen this on some host accounts where they have (somehow) taken over an existing Airbnb and kept the account.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Yeah, there's a really popular Airbnb near me that did this and all their old reviews are for completely different people.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Basha0 

Basha, I have learned you never assume something. Just because Bob turned up with Carol does not mean his significant other isn't Alice!!

If the host does not name his/her partner during the booking process I will only mention the partner by name if I am invited too by both!

I don't want my listing to be the catalyst for a relationship break-up, and it's not for me to assume that Carol is in fact anything other than the bosses private secretary!

Unless you are invited to, only mention the guest who booked by name, don't even add, 'and partner'.....that could also lead to a difficult bit of explaining! 

The only thing we need to know is what the guest was like, not who they might have had with them!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin 4 not my issue who Bob brings but when Ted and Alice are reviewed on sleezy Bob’s account I wonder what is going on!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Sometimes this is "AffairBnb" when Bob has a lot of lady friends he likes to entertain.  Sometimes its third party bookings, which are not allowable on ABB.

When I get a request like this I just say "Thanks so much for your interest! Can you please verify the names of the guests who will be staying? I notice from your reviews that you have stayed with different groups in the past so I just want to be sure we have the right people for our welcome message."

@Laura_R 2592 good suggestion!

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

"Bob" can be a transgender also 🙂 🙂 🙂

Oh @Dimitar27  i never thought of that!

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Basha0 

You’re making a good point.

We handle multiple properties in STR and LTR in France and London. We have others partners and co-hosts on other platforms. E.g., Dale and Dan are the hosts for Airbnb listings, Pierre is in charge of the entire townhouse on Bookiing.com, Andrea and Alexis are the hosts of Vrbo.......

We are in the same organization. Yet, different hosts, payment to individual acc.

While the partners resign, it is obligated to update the profile name. People do confuse the profile inaccurate.

You can question the guest about your suspicion and concern.

Happy Hosting ✌️

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dale711 From what you say it appears you are either

a) Passing ownership of the account from one person to the next or

b) Operating multiple accounts under the same ownership

Surely both of these are against the Airbnb Ts and Cs

Oh my dear @Mike-And-Jane0 

Where did you find multiple accounts I had mentioned?

And how did you proof of that I am passing my ownership to others? 

Your imagination is ridiculous and ridiculous! 

I have warned you many times, never and ever tag me in the forum, and pray for you ignore me! 🙏

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!  Thank you 

I wish to offer you the cafe ExpressoI wish to offer you the cafe Expresso