Has a guest tried to blackmail you for a good review?

You-House0
Level 3
Bangkok, Thailand

Has a guest tried to blackmail you for a good review?

Hello fellow hosts!!

help! how would you handle this?

🙂

Robert

------------------------------------------------------

EMIL: Hey there! I searched for places where pets are allowed, but I don't see any policy on this in your description. We've got a very small chihuahua, clean, quiet, and easy to live with his own cabin to stay in and do his business. If we can bring him, we want to book a room for two nights at your place.
Sincerely, Emil

Last Sunday at 11:22 AM

EMIL: Hey there! I searched for places where pets are allowed, but I don't see any policy on this in your description. We've got a very small chihuahua, clean, quiet, and easy to live with his own cabin to stay in and do his business. If we can bring him, we want to book a room for two nights at your place.
Sincerely, Emil

Last Sunday at 11:24 AM Sun Feb 24 2019 11:24:27 GMT+0700 (SE Asia Standard Time)

-----

ME: Pre-approved Last Sunday at 11:25 AM

EMIL: Can you please let me know if pets are allowed? I don't wish to book before I know so

Last Sunday at 11:26 AM

-----

ME: Hello Emil!

Last Sunday at 11:27

ME: yes, sounds good
we have extra crates, too

Last Sunday at 11:28

ME: maybe a good idea to contact Airbnb, too, since on my end I've already clearly marked this house is ok for pets. you can contact them and tell them on your end it isn't clear.
Last Sunday at 11:29

-----

EMIL: Is all your listings pet-friendly​? Because then we might choose another one

Last Sunday at 12:08

-----

ME: No, they aren’t. Only the ones listed as pet friendly.

Last Sunday at 12:13

EMIL: Can you send a link back to this place? I can't find it again

Last Sunday at 12:33 PM

-----

ME: wow!
Airbnb is really dropping the ball today!
ok
takes a while to get to a link...
Last Sunday at 12:37 PM

ME: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2611329?s=51

Last Sunday at 12:38 PM

ME: Does that link work?

-----

EMIL: I can't get through to it via our messages, not on mobile, not on computer

EMIL: Yes, perfect

EMIL: Is there a place to park our car?

Last Sunday at 12:42 PM

-----

ME: We don’t have any parking so you’d be dealing with a normal Bangkok street like anywhere I guess

Last Sunday at 12:46 PM

-----

EMIL: Booking confirmed Last Sunday at 12:52 PM

EMIL: Hey man. Something important came up, and we might need to cancel altogether​. Is there any way we could cancel and get a ​full refund?

Last Sunday at 2:33 PM

-----

ME: hi.
short answer: no, just as the cancellation policy says

Last Sunday at 2:37 PM

-----

[20 hours later/the next day…]

EMIL: Truth is we needed to see the address, and I could only do that by accepting your booking. When I found the place, Airbnb told me I could book and that I wouldn't pay yet, so I found it kind of contradicting

Yesterday at 11:44 AM

EMIL: Canceled Yesterday at 11:47 AM

EMIL: Sorry, I wont be able to give you a full 5 star review

Yesterday at 11:47 AM

EMIL Resolution Center note: When I found the place, my Airbnb app said I could book without paying. I asked seller if I could bring my pet, and before he answered, sent me an invitation to book. I needed to find the address so I went through with the booking expecting I didn't have to pay yet, as the message told me to begin with. This puts me in a trapped situation as I never intented to actually accept and pay for the booking in the first place. Seller refused to help.

Yesterday at 11:52 AM

-----

ME: Good morning Emil!

Confusing messages

First, there are only 2 types of Airbnb listings. Listings that show up in a 300-500m circle on Airbnb’s map. And listings that show up exactly on Airbnb’s map. Add to this that we, you and I, are forbidden to share contact details before you book, why would you book to see an address? Our listings are all shown exactly on Airbnb’s map.

What’s the payment confusion? Airbnb accepts a booking on a Day X for Day Y and on Day Y after check in Airbnb withdraws payment? You know we’ve had over 5,000 airbnb bookings and no one has brought this up as confusing before. So now I’m confused.

What does any of this have to do with a 5-star review? Although, while typing this I see an alert from you asking for money from me. Does this mean if I send you money then I get a 5 star review?

I think Airbnb is pretty user friendly and straight forward. Our listings are all super detailed and precise. I don’t see how anything could confuse anyone.

🙂

Yesterday at 11:56 AM Mon Feb 25 2019

-----

EMIL: "Does this mean if I send you money then I get a 5 star review? "

- It would certainly help as that would make you a good host​ if you ask me. Anything else would be hustling and just plain bad business ethics to not understand the situation.

Yesterday at 3:49 PM

-----

ME: I understand you might be used to leveraging against your bank or hotel or department store to get out of a purchase. Those are businesses that have budgets for those cases. That's not me.

Airbnb offers a few cancellation policies. I picked the one that suits my situation. You need to follow the rules you agreed to.

Threatening me with a good or bad review to get out of your agreement is the only ethics at play here. Not very nice of you.

Yesterday at 3:59 PM

­­­­-----

EMIL: I'm not threatening with anything, it was you who assumed that was my intention. I simply explained that I cannot give you a 5 star review for my experience, but of course that will change if I get a full refund. How is that non-ethical of me?

Yesterday at 4:26 PM

5 Replies 5
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@You-House0 

His messages clearly violate ABB terms of service regarding reviews. If he leaves a bad review I would show ABB the message thread and they should remove it. He is essentially asking you to "pay" (refund) for a good review.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@You-House0Robert, when did they cancel? If it was not the same day as check in, they wouldn't be able to review you anyways. 

If he reviews you, I would definitely just ask Airbnb to remove it. This is clearly an attempt to extort you in exchange for a good review, which is against Airbnb policy. It looks like all communication is through Airbnb messaging, so 

Also, I kind of think you dodged a bullet by avoiding this guest. They sound beyond clueless. You wonder where these people come from...

In US, there is a 48 hours grace period after the booking is confirmed, I see that the guest cancelled 3 hours after the confirmation, he may get somethng back. I do think the exact address and details should not be passed to the guest till the grace period has ended, otherwise criminal can use it by exploiting the system. 

@Helen-And-Mario0  That policy is a global one 😁Surely that’s only if the guest books 14 days or more in advance ?

Sheena61
Level 1
Stronachlachar, United Kingdom

We are currently in a similar position, guests due to arrive tomorrow messaged me on Tuesday to say her boyfriend had left her and that she would not be able to stay. I told her that we are unable to offer refund or to defer her booking at such short notice and that we she had signed acceptance of both Airbnb cancellation policy and ours. She was not prepared to cancel the booking formally and if I cancel I get penalised by Airbnb. She has now told me to expect a bad review despite the fact that she is not staying with us. I asked site for help and they made contact with her but she would not listen to reason