Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Was wondering if there were hosts out there that received an enquiry and it came out as a list of questions which I don't mind if it helped clarified their questions but the one I received was.......well made me feel like he was stupid. I want to say sorry that was a bit mean, but I can't help it. I really think it is so stupid.

So I answered his question all of them and answered as well stating , "if you read my description throughly it would have answered your questions ...",  his response was thanking me for answering SOME of this questions. I answered to all them.

Again , my head started doing a little monologue to myself, stupid!!

One of his questions was do I speak english? (I live in an english speaking country and all my description are in english and so are my feedbacks, I failed to see how two and two wasn't worked out)

Does the place have a view of this place...?? (my place is not in the vincinty of that place and there is no pictures to provide evidence that it did, I fail to see how he would assume my place would when there is no indication there is such a view)

Is anyone staying in the apartment? (face palm, when a guest asks a question that already is very clear)

Is there any supermarket nearby? (again rolling my eyes, PLEASE READ THE LISTING with all the god **bleep** information on it)

How far is the nearest vegetarian restaurant? ( I don't know, sometimes you got to find out things for yourself)

Maybe I'm too harsh, but the last time I had an instinct how stupid the guest was (trust me he was, he manage to knock on the wrong door after buzzing on the right number, and failed to check out on time even with instructions) he caused me so much problems by moving everything in the house and my instincts is telling me , this one is a trouble maker if he is already so fussy about asking stupid questions. 

Want a place with a view, find a place that shows that and dont' be stingy with the money you got to pay. If you want to be a cheap skate and give me hassle ,please do not apply.

106 Replies 106
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Seriously and this is not related to what Business you are in, there is some Business that is simply not worth having.

I have a friend who needed a Building Contractor and another who is a Building Contractor, and easy match, nope, he knew it would not be the job for him and said no.

David

@David126

I don't know if I mention this but I did not preapprove him and I did my due dillegence as a host to answer all his quesitons though he claim I didn't maybe because it required his part in reading the actual description and it wasn't written to answer each question in the chronological order that he wrote his questions to.

I did that intentionally to see if he was just mucking around or geniuely was asking. 

His responses pretty summed up my initinal reaction. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Scott-and-Sherryn0You seem to have have 'the' clear definition of what 'hospitality' is, and isn't. Everyone here is an individual and has different styles how they go about it. If you have a moment, read ANY of the 100 reviews I have in my listing and it will show my style is definitely 'working', for me. And certainly for Airbnb, which is important.

To the matter at hand. It is not a matter of being dumb or not, not everyone is at the same level, that is obvious. It is more about their initial manner and tone.

IF they come across kind and good-hearted, I definitely want them as a guest, so will walk them through the information with enthusiasm, painful or not. After booking, I encourage all my guests to ask ANY and all questions, always leads to a better stay for them.

IF they come across short and so lazy as not even bothering to read ~anything~ before start to send string upon string of basic questions (covered in my General Information), I will adopt a short, discouraging-sales approach. I rather not have them as guests, because I have found such type of applicants ~tend~ to take little personal responsibility. If anything goes wrong their immediate defence usually is  - 'No one told me'.

@Dionne2Fun thread really. Once in a while is so liberating being totally IN-correct. 😉

@Fred13

Thanks Fred, that is nice to hear, I had to have my say when some didn't agree with my stance. I'm sorry but no, this is my property and no one is going to tell me that I have to submit to my guest or Airbnb.

I just don't understand how in today's world , we want to excuse someone's laziness as a way of being professional especially in Airbnb as no one home is the same. 

I want a better standard of guests.

Jon169
Level 1
Rochester, NH

i think we all need to keep in mind that the property is just one part of the service we're providing. Many customers are looking for more than just a place to sleep.

@Jon169

Exactly and that does not make one person's job as host any easier. We got to be the receiptionist, cleaner, security ,fixer, accountantant, tourist guide, bell boy, driver. What else?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Dionne2 

It is much worse if they DO NOT COMMUNICATE at all, not reachable on the phone, not answering our messages... until they face a problem, which wouldn't exist if they communicated with us on time. Of course, their problem is our problem and sometimes my neighbours problem as well. 

I constantly feel like a big mamma dealing with a bunch of kids on the other side of town... or world... . It is so stressfull ! 😞

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Oh god, I completely understand.

I had guests who complain afterwards, when they leave. Too late to do anything. So I tell them on the spot and even in my listing, please inform me of any problems as I can not help you once you leave.

But I also live in an apartment so I make it very clear that no disturbances is to be inflicted on the neighbours this goes from noise beyond a certain time and correct disposal of the garbage or I will charge them accordingly. 

You will be suprised how some still don't listen then complain afterwards even after I emphasis to them let me know if you have any problems whatsoever.

Truth is, you are a big mama dealing with a bunch of kids. I just had a stupid one and it's doing my head in.

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

I really think it us wrong to talk about past, current or potential guests in this manner. This is a public forum. It is not at all hospitable. Potential future guests can see this and if I am looking for a place and trying to pick from two, I would pick the place where the host hasn’t been talking about his  or her guests online.

Yeah, there's a private hosts room for real mud slinging 😉

@Allison2

I think its ironic , that behind tranparency , everyone becomes honest because there is no accountability but once you put a name and face it becomes an issue because it is too touchy to talk about.

Is it me or is people too afraid to get real and address what the real problem is in the room?

@Allison116

That is your right to pick where it would make you feel safe and good but I hope you understand what things hosts have to go through  from this, how hosts are treated and how the actions of certain guests can effect the hosts through their ratings, the stress of managing , the rules that we have to comply that effects our listing abilities. 

Let me just make this clear.

All hosts, want to have an easy smooth relationship with their guests,as a happy relationship means a smoothier time for the both hosts and guests.

But of course problems will arise, but it can all be avoided if communication, comprise and understanding was invovlved and most time the problems arises even more because none of that is put into place.

Nothing is more unnerving when a guests feels entitled because they paid and translate that back to the host.

I have had many good relationships with guests because they were respectful and considerate of my time and property even when something bad has happened, they were apologetic about it and offered reimbursement and were civil about it. Those are the stories not told here.

I have had guests give me an unfavourable review because they failed to read what was in the description and give a feedback unrelated to their stay.

Furthermore, usually when a guests asks a question that obiviously shows they aren't really understanding what your place has to offer it is usually alarms bells for us. I had people asking for about the pet situations when I made it very clear there are pets. I do not know why one would want to be in a place if pets is in issue , but you get people like this. 

I had one haggling me to drop my prices, even after saying five nos. 

Then I had this one where asking alot of questions that obviously was clear that he hadn't bothered not reading or seeing any of my description. 

It gets frustrationg and obviously you read this post because it caught your eye and now you have a different opinion. 

If you want a good place to stay, my advise is to treat your host well, ask the right questions but don't expect that their time is always free for yours. If you treat them well, you will be rewarded with alot more than you asked for.

In addition, I have seen guests publicly talk about bad experiences as well, so it's a two way road.

Not all of us have peachy experiences, my very first guest used my home as drug den and you can be sure that I posted that experience online.

Miris-Property0
Level 2
Paphos, Cyprus

Hello from Cyprus 🙂

Hahaha Dionne, now I'm feel better. Throught its happen just to me 🙂 Yes, we always sent google sattelite coordinates and some very hard find the location and sometimes we have to smile and answer to some silly questions 🙂 but this is my job, I love it and I take it as it is 🙂

All the best 🙂

@Miris-Property0

Glad I made you feel better, I am trying to respond to each message and I have had a few express the opposite to what you are feeling and I find it so troublesome that we can't even just talk about something as simple as someone asking a really stupid question and how I really feel about it.