Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Was wondering if there were hosts out there that received an enquiry and it came out as a list of questions which I don't mind if it helped clarified their questions but the one I received was.......well made me feel like he was stupid. I want to say sorry that was a bit mean, but I can't help it. I really think it is so stupid.

So I answered his question all of them and answered as well stating , "if you read my description throughly it would have answered your questions ...",  his response was thanking me for answering SOME of this questions. I answered to all them.

Again , my head started doing a little monologue to myself, stupid!!

One of his questions was do I speak english? (I live in an english speaking country and all my description are in english and so are my feedbacks, I failed to see how two and two wasn't worked out)

Does the place have a view of this place...?? (my place is not in the vincinty of that place and there is no pictures to provide evidence that it did, I fail to see how he would assume my place would when there is no indication there is such a view)

Is anyone staying in the apartment? (face palm, when a guest asks a question that already is very clear)

Is there any supermarket nearby? (again rolling my eyes, PLEASE READ THE LISTING with all the god **bleep** information on it)

How far is the nearest vegetarian restaurant? ( I don't know, sometimes you got to find out things for yourself)

Maybe I'm too harsh, but the last time I had an instinct how stupid the guest was (trust me he was, he manage to knock on the wrong door after buzzing on the right number, and failed to check out on time even with instructions) he caused me so much problems by moving everything in the house and my instincts is telling me , this one is a trouble maker if he is already so fussy about asking stupid questions. 

Want a place with a view, find a place that shows that and dont' be stingy with the money you got to pay. If you want to be a cheap skate and give me hassle ,please do not apply.

106 Replies 106
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Yes, more times than i care to admit. I approve them without answering there questions knowing they wont accept the offer. This way i dont waste my time and then i wont get marked down for approval.  Win, win. 

@Zacharias0

I personally wouldn't , would worry too much if they did say yes. I always ask them more questions and let them know what they think before I can approve it.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Dionne2 First i would advise you to reply to the questions of guests who has already book your place. For guests who hasnt book yet just ask them to book your place first and only then you can answer all their questions especially the out of subject one. I have notice many guests are simply here to compare listings and will ask thousands of questions to many hosts in the same area as you without actually booking. Hosts should also learn how to spot the tipical copy and paste messages that some guests send to many hosts on the network. One simple way to spot it is to see if the guests has at least taken the time to mention your name in their message. I believe it is time for Airbnb to regular guests and put a limit for example allow guests to contact only a certain number of hosts who are in the same region in a day. Good luck!!!

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

Yes I did,  I answered all his questions before having this forum up and running.

He actually did answer me using my name and it seemed that the question he has was directed to my place , but then again, you can't be too sure.

Most people who don't speak much english can at least look at my pictures, I have posted them in such a way that you when you arrive at my place it is as the pictures were, and even posted pictures of the surround area so you have an idea of the neighbourhood.

I believe Airbnb needs to look at alot of problems in their system, one should start getting rid of that silly button, that penalises host if the guests ask you (the host) to cancel for them.

Sharon318
Level 2
Lady Lake, FL

My position has been....if something doesn't seem right (to me), I don't accept the reservation.   Remember this is your home and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable about any quest.

@Sharon318

Can I get an amen to that.

Completely agree, though I still don't understand why guests with bad reviews can still book , just means the next host is taking a risk if they weren't careful.

Another reason for why... host should be able to communicate with quest knowing.   What if you wrote a bad review and they got mad.... they do have your address.   Just saying....

Everybody be cautious.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I've been looking over my reviews and was reminded of a very stupid inquiry:

"Can you change the door code to a code that you the host does not know?"

Dah!

Where do I start?  

If I can change the code, I know how to change any code!

ALL hosts maintain ability to enter their property.  We must have the ability to enter in an emergency, provide access for an arrest warrant and to kick out people after their stay is over. Of course I maintain the means to enter a guest's room.

Of course to this guest  I said "Sorry No, I cannot change the code to one that only you the guest will know"

Although I tried my hardest to be respectful, I obviously did not keep a poker face cuz my reply set the guest off.

While it was a annoying inquiry, I didn't think much of it, thinking it was just ignorance.

It was only made stupid when she repeated it it in her review.

Well my lock allows mutiple codes so I could set an additional code but still retain entry.

David

@Paul154

Yes, we certainly can't help 'stupid' when 'stupid' does something 'stupid' and says something 'stupid'.

I hope you were able to give her your feedback. 

I strike out guests who were troublesome to their previous ones.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

When I told someone they needed to reset their watch because my town was an hour earlier than the time in Puerto Vallarta, where they flew into, an hour away, and explained that the state line is the time zone change point, she asked "How can that be?- it's so close."

I repeated what I had said in a message. The local grocery shops close at 5:00 pm tonight. Guests finally set off for the shops, arrive back shocked,  telling us the shops were shut. Trying to keep a straight face we suggest they visit one of our local restaurants or make use of the emergency food in the pantry. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I find that people that ask lots of questions of any kind need a lot of hand holding when they arrive. I have found a direct connection between "are you near the airport" (did you do ANY prep work before you started to look at 6000 Chicago listings?)  and "where are the knives" (did you try the kitchen draw?). I look at it as fun dinner conversation later with my husband but do get annoyed in the moment

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Killer question:   "Can we drive to the island or have to go by boat?"

Well @Fred13, you really need to build a bridge. I bet that company who built the bridge in Florida that just collapsed are looking for new contracts.