Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Has any host has ever had an enquiry that made them feel like this person was stupid?

Was wondering if there were hosts out there that received an enquiry and it came out as a list of questions which I don't mind if it helped clarified their questions but the one I received was.......well made me feel like he was stupid. I want to say sorry that was a bit mean, but I can't help it. I really think it is so stupid.

So I answered his question all of them and answered as well stating , "if you read my description throughly it would have answered your questions ...",  his response was thanking me for answering SOME of this questions. I answered to all them.

Again , my head started doing a little monologue to myself, stupid!!

One of his questions was do I speak english? (I live in an english speaking country and all my description are in english and so are my feedbacks, I failed to see how two and two wasn't worked out)

Does the place have a view of this place...?? (my place is not in the vincinty of that place and there is no pictures to provide evidence that it did, I fail to see how he would assume my place would when there is no indication there is such a view)

Is anyone staying in the apartment? (face palm, when a guest asks a question that already is very clear)

Is there any supermarket nearby? (again rolling my eyes, PLEASE READ THE LISTING with all the god **bleep** information on it)

How far is the nearest vegetarian restaurant? ( I don't know, sometimes you got to find out things for yourself)

Maybe I'm too harsh, but the last time I had an instinct how stupid the guest was (trust me he was, he manage to knock on the wrong door after buzzing on the right number, and failed to check out on time even with instructions) he caused me so much problems by moving everything in the house and my instincts is telling me , this one is a trouble maker if he is already so fussy about asking stupid questions. 

Want a place with a view, find a place that shows that and dont' be stingy with the money you got to pay. If you want to be a cheap skate and give me hassle ,please do not apply.

106 Replies 106

A late guest rushed up to our door asking if Marg. was home next door.

"No, I'm Marg. and we live here."

Their GPS had said they had arrived but no one was home.

4 is on our curb & letterbox, we said we would be home Google Earth photo is a little out of date but the houses are very different!

FULLY AGREE

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Oh thank you for giving me my laugh for the day.  Yes people like this usually are not worth the effort, and also end up having champagne taste on a beer budget as my mother says.  They want the moon and the starts at $20 a night for a 4 bdrm palace, and leave you a bad review because you don't have a garden in your backyard or your city center and the city is noisy, I guess they want you to call the mayor and let the mayor know they are coming to town and to send out a PSA.

I once had someone ask say, your listing says you have 1 bathroom so is there also a powder room, no dear 1 bathroom = 1 bathroom, a powder room would in addition to the one bathroom would be 1.5

@Krystal16

Yes he certainly made my day alright, and so did his next few messages. 

I once had a guest asking if there was hot water in the showers. 

Usually I have a smile and explain things, but for the life of me, I could not hide my feelings, had a look that showed I had crickets creaking in my head and with a dead pan monotone voice, I simply said , yes and rolled my eyes.

I like to be professional but the more I do this Airbnb , sometimes I just got to show my wtf face, just to make it clear exactly how I feel and if stupid comes in my face again, that trademark look that made Bella Hadid famous is to say hello again.

Oh wow, so glad I came to this forum !  I had a person who asked a multitude of questions and I faithfully *yet painfully* answered each one - until finally, after about the 15th idiotic question, she told me: "thanks, but my friend offered to put me up at her house!"  grrrr

Yes, she asked questions that were sitting there staring her in the face.  Another one showed me a picture of himself in the shower... what was I supposed to do with that?  I decided to tell him that I had to 'unbook' him and then I had to explain myself to airbnb for feeling a tad uncomfortable.

The last lady belonged to a religion that I once belonged to and so, in spite of the fact that I had a perfect record of 5 stars, she said that my place was not perfectly clean.  HELLO, I pay a cleaner $35 an hour to come and help me clean after each visitor and this cleaner is a whiz of a cleaner... spotless, shiny, beautiful and so now my image has been tainted !  Whew !  We certainly learn a lot about people don't we?  

@Janice85

Oh god, I feel your pain, but nothing more annoying when you want to have an honest conversation with others and get told to 'suck it up' because you are in the industry or that you got to be patient.

There will be day when those hosts comes across a 'person or persons ' where they will turn around and say wtf just happened?

Patience is for fools wishing that the bad will magically go away, sometimes you got to just stay sane and say , 'you are the stupid one', I just don't understand why people are finding the truth hurtful, that there is some people , SOME, who are just not with the program and I don't understand why some hosts want these type of people continously behaving in that way in the Airbnb community. 

There was always a decorum with the way I was taught not to disrespect where we stayed even in hotels, I don't leave dirty wet towels lying around and even do the beds after I leave each day. Same should apply when you stay in Airbnb, I am fully aware that I am staying in someone's residence even after the fact that I have paid for the stay.

I find that too many people now simply don't have basic etiquette and perhaps is why my patience is a little thinner than the hosts who have told me to suck it up or be patient. 

3 stars recently because the bathroom was off the bedroom, warning future guests that it wasn't convenient and really only suitable for 2 guests. Yes, but the online description says 'en suite' and if friends are booking, I mention this fact as the bedroom has the queen bed with en suite and the lounge the double sofa bed. Yes, ideal for families!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think that it is normal to receive some enquiries about about distances, location, and other things. Few question is normal, but list of questions sounds strange.

Well, I had two guests that sent me a list of question. Yes, one of them sent a numberd list with about 8 or 10 questions !!! The answers was all in the Airbnb listing.
They were amongst the worst guests I ever had.

I also received another 2 or 3 enquiries with lists of questions and requirements but it was not converted into bookings.

I have noticed that, when some potential guest sends a list of questions, it may be interpreted as a warning signal that It is a very difficult guest to deal with.

In some cases, they are searching for some property based only on the price, however they want to see if the host are willing to make the listing suitable to them. Actually, some of them are at the same time  very demanding and want to pay a cheap price.

@J-Renato0

Yep I pretty much guess that but my fingers couldn't help themselves because I answered them in a way that emphasised his laziness  and stupidity but being polite without answering his questions directly.

His followed up messages said that I didn't answer all his questions, so I asked to which ones.

His response...

"Almost all queries are answered"

"I mean not almost but none of them are left answered"

What?? That would definitely be the point when I'd politely suggest some local hotels he might prefer.

@Lyndsey2

I think he's a big boy and find that out for himself.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Dionne2 Good idea not having Instant booking turned on for this guest. Thanks for the entertaining post Dionne.

@Moira21

Hhahah any time, this forum is a great place to vent that only hosts can understand. My friends find it funny which I do too but a part of me is trying to be sane with all these stupid things that makes me want to just sit in the corner and just cry at the senseless madness of stupidity that is hitting me in the face.

It is just too much. 

I think Airbnb has given me a resting bitch face which I never knew I had.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I give them a break if they're new - it's sometimes hard to tell that the listing descriptions have more info unless you open all the "more +" boxes. I'll answer anything not covered in the listing and gently point them back there for all the remaining things.

Not so much "stupid", but many times people don't think to check average temps where they're staying. A guest from SoCal IB'd with a message about the bachelorette weekend she was planning, including wine tours and lots of water sports (not the Trump kind). In MAY. 

I let her know that all her non-beach plans would work but that swimming is a dare until July or so. Usually the ice has cleared off the bay by May, but the water temps are still in the 40's and the average air temps aren't much warmer. She thanked me and cancelled.

@Allison2

I think there is a clear distinction when someone is asking for further clarification and one that is fishing for a place with certain attributes that you clearly have not advertised.

I have had tons of newbies and not once did I feel they asked anything silly, their questions were more of an assurance and clarification for them.

This guy was asking a whole list that clearly showed he had not even bother to read or even looked at the pictures or thought about what he was asking.

Not limited but some of the questions he asked was.....

if there were other people staying in the apartment?

if toddlers were allowed?

if supermarkets were near?  

how far is this place?

do you speak english?

Fairly simple questions that have already been mentioned in the listing, there is a map in the Airbnb listing, furthermore the selling point of my location is that I am located next to a shopping centre so that has been made so clear. 

And quite frankly if he can be bothered to take the time to send me a message ,he certainly can take the time to look through the listing properly. My pictures serve as a description as well and it would have already answered most of his questions as well.