Has any of the host encounter a decline in the guests quality and more demanding?

Regina114
Level 5
Laguna Hills, CA

Has any of the host encounter a decline in the guests quality and more demanding?

I will wait patiently although my question to the community is simple.  Has any of the host encounter a decline in the guests quality and more demanding?  thank you in advance

6 Replies 6
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi Regina

I think I know what you mean as this provision expands so expectations increase perhaps? My mistake was to accept a local after a hard night drinking...!!! Thanks for being here @Regina114 . What has your experience been?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Regina114 ours seems to be seasonal.

Winter-- unhappy guests. They want it to be warmer. They want leaves on the trees. They want to go outside.  This has been particularly evident this past winter as isolation fatigue has set in. 

Spring-- party time guests. At the first hint of warm weather we get inquiries for group bookings. Girls weekends. Ski trips (confusing because why not do this in winter proper?) Lots of messes to clean, misrepresented numbers of guests, etc.

Summer-- mostly normal guests and honeymooners. People who bring their kids when they are on vacation from school. Couples married at one of the vineyards nearby. Guests attending weddings. Hiking weekends. People that want to see the fireflies. 

Autumn-- retirees and romantic getaway weekends. These can go either way. Either lots of questions and nitpicking or we hear not a peep. 

Overall I would say that our winter guests were more difficult this year than ever before, and thus far we have had some serious messes to clean from spring partiers. But everyone is cranky these days. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Fireflies @Laura2592 . How magical!  Are they still surviving? Are there special things they need for their ecological niche?

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Yes, we're definitely seeing a drop in guest quality, particularly since the pandemic began. 

Now, we have to carefully vet each enquiry. This year, we've been forced to decline more enquiries than ever in our history.

But they still get through; Our current guest thought she was going to get a free room by booking for two PAX (her parents) and then staying in an unused bedroom. But we lock the unbooked rooms, so to her dismay, she's been forced to sleep on the couch. She keeps pretending she's not there. As if I don't know. 

Apparently she's gotten fed up with sleeping on the couch, so she's asking for an ensuite master bedroom for the remaining nights. For 20€. Needless to say, I didn't give her the presidential suite. 

Right, then. I'm certain we'll get a bad review from this one. Shucks. We were so close to perfect score. 

YES!

@Regina114 

Yes, is the answer to that!