Has anyone Airbnb both the upstairs and basement of the home?

Has anyone Airbnb both the upstairs and basement of the home?

I'm looking for advise of whether or not to Airbnb both the main floor and basement units?  Currently I have the main floor as a Airbnb, basement is vacant but has a full suite, separate entrance, kitchen 2 bedrooms and 1 full bath. I'm wondering if its worth it to have it furnished and Airbnb? Or has anyone had complaints? What to do with it? Any additional rules to apply? I also don't want to have noise complaints and bad ratings ? Any advise would be amazing thank you. 

7 Replies 7
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Oksana77 plenty of hosts do this. It is not any different if you were to airbnb an apartment- there would be neighbors there as well. Does your local ordinance allow for it?

They do, I’m curious how do hosts handle the noise complaints ? Or is there an extra rule you’d add in or what should I indicate on both ads of the home? 

May1178
Level 2
Denver, CO

I can speak from a guest's perspective. I see a lot listings of a basement apartment in a single-family house.  I usually search the reviews for the keyword "noise", and I definitely avoid those listings where it is mentioned. In my view, the noise reduction is very minimal in single-family dwellings as compared to multi-family buildings because it assumes it is the same family. So an apartment in a complex doesn't bother me as much.

That said, plenty of people are not bothered by this, you just need to describe the situation in your listing.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

My house is set up like this. I have separate entrances for both units but they share a common entryway. 

I lived downstairs while i was renovating and rented the upstairs. It gives you a pretty good perspective on noise levels living downstairs while renting upstairs. 

Now I have moved upstairs. I did add extra insulation to the ceiling in the bathroom and insulation in the ceiling in the hallway. 

Thick carpet and pad is good for the bedrooms rooms and entryway stairs (it absorbs sound-the thicker the better). 

I remove my shoes upon entry upstairs and I’m mindful of my footsteps when walking around. 

Hey my house is set up this way and I was looking to rent the main floor while leaving the basement vacant. Do you have any suggestions because I am new to this industry?

Jessamine0
Level 1
Pawleys Island, SC

I have a question for this conversation.  I have a 2 story beach house a block from the beach and it is available to rent the up, the down or the whole house.  Both floors have kitchens.  Access between the floors have been blocked off from the inside.  As guests begin renting the down and ask about the up, and blocking it off, are there other scenarios of a "flat fee" to block off the potential income and have the upstairs rented during their time?

Hi Jessamine, did you get an answer for this question I have the same scenario. Also can you access your downstairs unit when someone is staying in your upstairs unit and vice versa? Is there something you need to put in the listing to accommodate this? Sorry I’m brand new to Airbnb and am trying to figure it all out.