Has anyone had a booking and upon checkin it's was booked for someone else?

Has anyone had a booking and upon checkin it's was booked for someone else?

We have s checkin today and have just found out that the person who made the reservation is not who is staying, any suggestions as they would not have gone through the Airbnb checks?
6 Replies 6
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

It's not allowed.  Turn them away.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Third party bookings are not allowed although apparently AirBnB is working on a policy to allow this.

For you it probably now depends on the circumstances: did they lie to you during the booking process, if so I would be concerned and contact AirBnB and ask them to find alternative accommodation. In a challenging situation you are not covered by the Host Scheme for these bookings.

Was it just never mentioned and it is someone booking for their parents, or similar....? While not allowed either, it's certainly a different situation to where you feel you have been misled.

In future you should always confirm that the person booking is staying too.

Remember AirBnB checks are not background checks - they just verify that the person who is using the account is who they say they are.

Thank you, we were not misled they just didn't mention it until check in. As we are at work hard to know how old or young the actual people staying are, guess we will see how things go. Will definitely ask on future bookings.

@Tabbatha-and-Paul0

You say you were not misled. Withholding such vital information is one kind of dishonesty. Misleading thus.

@Tabbatha-and-Paul0 As you gain more experience on Airbnb, you will learn to ask questions from the guest who books with you in order to discern if they are making a 3rd party booking.  You can certainly decline any 3rd party booking.  Here's what Airbnb says on this: 

www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Hope this helps, Clare

Galina2
Level 1
Krasnodar, Russia

Honestly, I have done this once! my friends from abroad was going to come for music festival, but they didn't have experience with Airbnb before. and nobody spoke their language, so it was not easy for them to communicate with an owner. So I have payed by my card and sent a message to the owner with explanation. It was several years before, but now the world is going crazy, so now it is not good idea any more.