Has anyone had a guest cancel their reservation because of the COVID-19 virus?

Kathleen645
Level 3
Hamilton, Canada

Has anyone had a guest cancel their reservation because of the COVID-19 virus?

I am curious if so, how the process went with airbnb in both parties getting paid out.  Did both the guest and host get paid out right away? 

28 Replies 28
ONERüF0
Level 7
United States

Juat had one cancel due to travel restrictions they were refunded 100%.  

Veronique271
Level 4
Tucson, AZ

@Kathleen645 Yes, just got 2 reservations cancelled for this reason. I refunded 100%.

Caitlin171
Level 2
Toronto, CA

I currently have a guest trying to cancel but within Canada there is no travel advisory. We have offered a 50% refund but they want a full refund. Stuck on what to do 

@Kathleen645    I have, guest received 100% refund, host 0% payment.

I would have given a full refund but Airbnb beat me to it without even asking me, I have a 'strict' policy.

You didn't get paid out?  I thought the coronavirus policy pays out the host as well?

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

I have had 4 or 5 cancellations and the way it goes is that the guest cancels and will be refunded according to your cancellation policy, then the guest will contact customer service and they will give a full refund.

@Sam397    Not so, I have a strict policy and guest was refunded by Airbnb 100% off the bat.

Where are you located?

I have had about 10-12 cancellations in the last week. In the last 5 minutes we had two cancellation for this week. It’s not looking any better. Everyone stay safe. We can get over this . Thanks 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

omg @Kathy33 that sounds intense- I am so sorry. Hope you are well. Hang in there lovely, better days will come for everyone! 🙂

@Ange2 Where are you located? Airbnb told us they are not able to give a refund. Our guest is supposed to arrive in 2 days 

@Caitlin171  The Big Apple!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kathleen645  @Ange2  @Kathy33  @Caitlin171  @Sam397 

Here is the current situation as far as Airbnb are concerned and Covid-19.

Corona virus and ABB cancelation.png

Either host or guest can cancel a reservation, the guest will be fully refunded and the host won't be penalised for a cancellation on their side, and just have to suck up the loss of a booking. Their booking calendar will be opened again to possibly accept yet another reservation which may in many circumstances be subject to yet another cancellation!

Realistically I would not have expected any other option....Airbnb have a proven track record of making sure their hosts are at the disadvantaged end of the STR spectrum.

Trust me Kathleen, there is nothing for the host in this, do not expect any sort of payout on your end for a reservation cancellation!

Cheers........Rob

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Initially my guest was refunded 100%. I pointed out that I did not agree because there was no travel advisory or outbreak. The state of emergency was very specific. It was only to prevent infected Chinese travelers from entering the city. My case was reversed. The other cancellation was due to an event being canceled, which is not covered. I offered the guest a 50% refund. They appreciated it since I do have a strict policy.

In short, it's a case by case basis but if there is an overall government advisory in your area, a full refund is most likely. They told me they are dealing with 50,000 cases right now.