Has anyone reached out to Airbnb to report an extremely bad guest?

Ashley929
Level 2
New Hope, MN

Has anyone reached out to Airbnb to report an extremely bad guest?

We are relatively new to Airbnb and recently just hosted our first HORRIBLE guest. All of the red flags were there during booking (asking for a discount, none of the messages made any sense, and mentioning her brain damage) but the money was good, and it would be constant income for a month. (Boy do I wish I could go back and undo this)

She started out fine, but was a tad excessive with her needs. We live on the main floor and rent out the basement with a separate entrance so we are always around, but never in a shared space (other than the back yard). She often made obnoxious requests like knocking on our door in the early AM because she couldn't find her phone and wanted me to call it so it would ring, asking me to help find her car keys, constantly telling me things were broken (i.e. microwave doesnt work) and then messaging a short time later saying its not broken, she just didnt know how to use it before. But about a week before her departure things got very hostile. 

On the day of check-out we sat and waited for her to leave. She finally finished packing up and took off over two hours after check out. When we went downstairs to inspect we noticed 1) there was a red liquid stained on our linens and carpeting, 2) the outside door was left wide open, 3) the place was a DISASTER. The kitchen was filled with dirty dishes, there was garbage everywhere, there was mud and dirt all over our couch. She also left a very hurtful and very untruthful note explaining how terrible her stay was because we kept coming into her bedroom while she was sleeping (definitely not true) she said we called her names and didn't respond to her requests (I have evidence of phone calls, text messages, and airbnb messages where we responded to everything she sent. My guess is she made this stuff up because she knew she was leaving the place a disaster and wanted some leverage? or she just really is delusional. 

After she left, she also messaged me and said she accidently took a couple knives from our knife block and would be returning them the next day. Two days later when she still didn't return them, I sent her a message inquiring about them and she said she wouldn't be back in town for a while and couldn't give them to me until late next week. It's not a huge deal, as it's only a couple knives out of the block, but we do have guests coming tomorrow and I was expecting to have them back by then.

I was hoping to eliminate a bad review as our Airbnb is still relatively new and a bad review could do a lot of damage. Is there a way for Airbnb to prevent her from leaving a bad review if i can prove her claims are false? if she does leave a bad review how hard is it to get airbnb to take it down? If she says stuff in the review like in the letter (i.e. we went into her bedroom while she slept) which is clearly false, how can i prove that to Airbnb? Do they care? 
When she left we were at the point where we were just glad she was leaving and I wasn't going to charge for the replacement linens, or extra cleaning fees (or even the replacement knives) because I didn't want to start a claim and have it turn into an even worse situation, but now I'm thinking it might cover my ass in the long run? Can I email Airbnb and explain the situation or do I let it go or file a claim?

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ashley929 

Filing a claim has rather strict terms (assuming  there is a security deposit set):

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/352/

It is also a guerantee for a bad review, so maybe better skip that option.

You explainded your story already here, so at least it is documented and can be reffered too:>).

So if things turn out worse (bad review), complain at airbnb.

It is my experience "lunatic" guests (yes, i hosted a few) often do not write a review at all.

Then you can write yours at the review-deadline (14 days).

Next time better not ignore red flags....

Kind regards,

Emiel

Carole77
Level 2
Potomac, MD

Horrible experience!  
1.  Did you take photos of the stains, mud, & dirty dishes etc.?  Always photograph a situation. 

2.  Save weird (written) requests/comments in a folder.  Save your responses.
3.  No written comments? Try to remember days & times she made requests & comments, & your response. Make all responses calm, clear, professional, & chronological so it doesn’t look emotional & argumentative. 
4.  Airbnb may well do nothing at all on your behalf.  If a poor review is posted, you should reply.  Respond calmly to each point by succinctly stating how efficiently you had dealt with her requests, perhaps she had “forgotten” what you had done.  State that you have no other recourse but to keep her security deposit to replace damaged linens & carpeting. 
Stated matter-of-factly,  future guests may realize how professional you are & that she was at fault, was over emotional & was grossly exaggerating. 

Additionally, Airbnb algorithms & humans at the help desk can & do read all comments.  
I had a minor issue with one guest.  
When I needed support, Airbnb staff told me they were reading all my most recent reviews so they knew everyone else was pleased with their stays & they believed what I was saying, not my complaining guest.

If you put every conversation in writing on the site, it will help you prove you’re thoughtful & professional, for any future issues that may arise.

Stuart177
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I have had similar issue with disrespectful guests and what i find with airbnb review system is there is a disincentive to complain because of negative reviews and frankly the hassle of what essentially become a written out argument. 

My advice is claim for any damage, I've made x2 claims in the past for damaged sideboard and bedding ruined with stains. 

If it was me I would draw a line under it and take it all as the cost of doing business. And frankly if shes unhinged and you know she has knives you dont want this escalating if you know what I mean. Its a down side of airbnb.

Personally I avoid it by not doing long term bookings if I get a bad guest its only a matter of days before they leave. I never take guests that want to book on the day for that night. There are a higher proportion that are problematic. With younger people I provide clear boundaries, use the coaster, no smoking at all, trash goes here, this leather will easily tear etc and I dont want to have to charge you for it. Set your expectations.

Good luck

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Ashley929 Sorry this happened  I really think that bad guests target new hosts. This is also where I get on my soap box about not offering long stays when you first start hosting  You need all those good reviews from the shorter stays to insulate from the occasional bad guest.  And its less annoying if you get a bad apple and your relationship is a very limited one.

Airbnb won't do much.  I had a bad guest pretty soon out the gate and Airbnb basically wants you to resolve everything without their intervention.  I would also give up on my knives (creepy that she took them. ) She sounds like she may be suffering from some mental health issues with the accusation about entering her room. 

Id wait until she writes a review to write yours but be very factual. Something like " This was a difficult hosting experience for us. So and so communicated a lot and needed assistance with some unusual situations.  Extra cleaning was required and household items were missing which the guest offered to return but has not done so. We would not recommend this guest to other hosts nor have her back. Just not a good fit for our space. " Don't communicate with her further.  Change key codes or locks.  Learn from the experience and if she lambasts you leave a measured, kind and factual response. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I would not want the knives back. I would not want contact with someone unhinged who has a knife in her hand.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Ashley929 I do believe that STR hosting does require a high degree of caution, considering one is actually dealing with total strangers. IF "All of the red flags were there during booking..", you are quite correct, best to 'listen' to them, which I am sure you certainly will in the future.

P.S. The last thing I would have even thought about is to see her again specially holding some big knives in her hands - "No it's a gift, and please have a wonderful life with them". (Just not anywhere near me). LoL

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ashley929 If your guest is as unhinged as you suggest then it is likely that any review she leaves will not comply with the rules so you may be able to get it taken down. Please do leave a review to warn others but do so late in the 14 day period so you do not prompt a review from her.